NC Angler Forums banner

Penn Battle

Saltwater 
3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  zfranks 
#1 ·
Anybody have any opinions on the Penn Battle 4000 and lower series? Thinking of picking one up for light-surf/jetty fishing with a 7' St. Croix Triumph Surf.

#5 ·
Thanks for the info guys: also, any opinions on what line to use? I know they're braid ready and all, but I was thinking of maybe just using some 10# mono. As far as the superlines go, I've used power-pro on a baitcaster before, but haven't tried it on spinning gear yet. I hear of these dreaded "wind knots" and such, and would prefer to keep my time spent on the actual fishing instead of untangling. Any opinions here?

#7 ·
yeah, what he said...lol, so long as you use a decent braid, and not something way overrated for the reel (ex:80lb braid), it shouldnt be any problem, and the benifits far far out weigh the negatives, if there are any... the way those battles wind are great, unless you have a whole lotta slack in your line, i see it being awfully hard to get a "wind knot" with em... right now I actually have 20 lb on my 3000 and 40lb on my 5000 and havent had any problems good luck

#8 ·
I think where a lot of people run into wind knots is from reeling the bail shut after casting. I have always manually closed the bail so maybe that is why I do not experience wind knots. The battle reels are pretty nice. IMO though a shimano saros is a much better and smoother reel and can be had for an extra 10 bucks. They only go up to a 4000 series though.

#12 ·
Slightly along the same lines, I've got the penn pursuit 4000 with the 7ft penn slammer med action rod. I spooled it with 25lb power pro braid and it's been nothing but trouble. Is that braid too much or too little for this reel? I'm throwing a mix of lures (skitter walk, mirrolures, etc) and maybe they're too light for the line. Every other throw is a wind knot, not something worth cutting, but it always takes a minute to untangle or the loop knot locks onto the first eye and the line snaps and sends my lure screaming into the distance. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

#13 ·
We have three Penn Battles. ICM is on target get the 3000. I have 2 4000 reels and they are great but a little big. We have caught numerous fish on all 3 Battles we have and I have another 3000 on order. Drag is great and any spinning reel will get wind knots. Some maybe more than others but take the info from above and hand close the bail, watch over casting and stay with the correct size line and you will be fine. Excellant choice and decent rod you are putting it on. My go to and favorite is a TFO 7'6" ML rod with the 3000 battle. I have 15lb FINS windtamer on it and it is fine. I have wind knots on an occasion and it is always from poor skill and trying to reach fish with terrible conditions and form. I se it as part of the game and it is kinda like getting stuck on the hill, if you are out there enough you will find it. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.