Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FF Transducer Install

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine93 View Post
    kayakdude, just curious which x4 you have, the DSI or the regular color version. I am thinking of upgrading and wanted to see what everyone thought. Is it worth the $30 extra for the DSI or is the other model just fine?

dont bother with the DSI lowrances. without a combination of either 2d sonar and dsi or dsi and side scan its pretty hard to figure out where the structure you see on your screen is related to where you are. a dsi beam is very wide and that peice of structure you see on your screen in 30 foot of water could be 50+ feet in either direction to the side of your boat... without sidescan to see how far to which side it is difficult to use the info you get to your advantage.

stick with the elite 4x, the dsi is difficult to use to your advantage at best.
    kayakdude, Stew-Rat, and Wolverine93 like this.

Hobie Revo 13

Edit: Saw that you already have a working solution...good job...I'm going to post my thoughts anway since I just struggled with the same question...

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine93 View Post
    For a temporary install, might be better to get some closed cell foam and cut out the transducer size, epoxy that to the hull and use that to hold the transducer. That's how I have mine installed but it was meant to be permanent. But it is a pretty quick install of the foam and easy to remove.
    I agree with the above except for the fact if you want the install to be temporary / removable, use Marine Goop instead of epoxy. Epoxy would much more permaently bond to your hull. I just did the exact same thing with the install on my Mariner (the water well, make foam cutout, Marine Goop to hull, and fill with water before launching), and I decided to move and re-do it and the Marine Goop was easy to peel off the hull...just scraped it a bit with a screwdriver and it peeled right off. Note that it only peeled easily off the hull....it was pretty much permanently bonded to the closed cell foam cutout, and I had to make a new one of those.

Also...if you decide to go the putty route...electrician's putty, also called "Duct Seal", works a bit better than plumber's putty. You can find Duct Seal at Home Depot or Lowes in the electrican's aisle...it is sold in a 1 pound block wrapped in white plastic wrapper. The name brand sold at Home Depot is Gardner Bender Duct Seal, DS-110, costs about $2.
    kayakdude likes this.

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100, Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5

Also...if you decide to go the putty route...do not use plumber's putty. Use electrician's putty, also called Duct Seal. You can find it at Home Depot or Lowes in the electrican aisle...it is sold in a 1 pound block wrapped in white plastic wrapper. The name brand sold at Home Depot is Gardner Bender Duct Seal, DS-110.
    I wouldn't have a problem swapping my putty if there is some evidence/ reason on this. Have you tried both?Or even of I don't swap I hope to have a new yak soon and just put a new 'ducer in it so I can use the duct seal.
    "Them Hardcore boys"

Stu, no evidence personally, just that I read on some other forums that the electrician's putty tends to "stick" better and degrade less over time (doesn't tend to dry out or become overly brittle over time). Electrician's putty can be used outdoors where plumber's putty is usually an interior thing.

I'm sure both would work fine, just passing along what I've read on some other sites.
    Stew-Rat likes this.

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100, Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5

Just getting into fishing here around here in the huntersville area. You can really tell who the active fisherman are on here. Thanks for all the information that you and stukayakfish put out here.

I just got a bell angler canoe that I am going to use solo and for when I take my son (4.5 years old). Hope to see you guys out on the lake/rivers real soon. Defineitly thinking about the fish finder I am sure it makes a huge difference.
    FishinCary likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12