Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White bass creel limit?

What we have to remember is that VERY few people hit the 25 fish limit at any time other than the spawn and even then it is confined to just a few easily accessible areas. Other than spawning time at those few places white bass are mostly ignored in NC.
    Like Jbare said there are other areas that aren't as easy to access or to corner the fish. As long as they have those places to spawn the population should be pretty safe from overfishing.

Might be a better approach to make it illegal to release any white perch caught. How about a series of white perch tournys ...... base it on number of fish caught and NOT released!
    gambusia likes this.

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by papadave View Post
    How about a series of white perch tournys ...... base it on number of fish caught and NOT released!
    I like this! especially if it ends with filleting, breading, a frying and eating. I think it needs its own thread for some planning.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    papadave likes this.

im down for the white perch tournament. When i see a white perch i chuck him in the kayak regardless of if im going to eat him or not. theres always somebody fishing who is more than glad to take him home for the freezer, they do taste great!
    papadave likes this.

Hobie Revo 13

Quote Originally Posted by FishinCary View Post
    im down for the white perch tournament. When i see a white perch i chuck him in the kayak regardless of if im going to eat him or not. theres always somebody fishing who is more than glad to take him home for the freezer, they do taste great!
    They are non game fish, so taking with intent to destroy without eating is legal. I have mixed feelings about the WP in Harris. They seem to get decent sized and they are quite tasty.
    -Andy ​X

White perch are game fish.

I asked about classifying them as non game fish so they could be netted but the wildlife folks fear if the fish could be netted it would encourage their spread. This was after they were discovered in Lake James in Burke County.

I stand corrected; they are listed but have no size or creel limit, so that means you have to take them by hook and line and you are not supposed to keep them just to purposefully destroy them. Actually the wording is:
    It is unlawful to destroy unnecessarily any inland game fish taken from public fishing waters
    I wonder if attempting to improve the fishery constitutes necessity?

Anyway, sorry about the bad info in the previous post...
    -Andy ​X

"unnecessarily" - I'll bet a slick attorney could have a field day with that one! For my part I've never destroyed a white perch unnecessarily.
    Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

Quote Originally Posted by Supracerxtreme View Post

I don't think the 25 fish limit is an issue. The problem is the ones who go back daily and bring home their limits each day. This problem also exist with other species and not just white bass.
    To offset those who are returning daily, decreasing the daily limit would work as well as greatly help the enforceability of the laws. I would say lowering the limit to 10-15 would be a good idea.
    gambusia likes this.

"You no longer see water, You only see where fish live...." J. Berman
    Red X Angler

Catch and Release for white bass?! Seriously? I'm not in favor of making ANY more regs that the officers can't enforce, but certainly C&R for white bass is ridiculous. I agree with "Mack" that plenty of fish make it past Penny's Bend to spawn. Look at the water levels for the past couple years, most flows are below average. This condition probably has way more to do with fish populations than harvesting does. I personally think that in low-water times, the fish just spawn in lower parts of the river. Heaven forbid a fisherman actually has to hike somewhere to find good fishing. I fished the Eno one day last year and hardly caught anything, but came back 3 days later and could have limited out before lunch. The greedy and unethical don't pay any mind to the current regulations and making more restrictive rules isn't going to stop them. Do your part to report violations and encourage catch-and-release. Otherwise, just enjoy being outside on public property.
    papadave likes this.

BRANDON L. PRICE - Cortland 3wt, Scott 4wt,Scott 5wt, Redington 6wt, St.Croix 8wt, Echo 10wt -Bauer, Lamson, Billy Pate, Filson, Simms, WilliamJoseph-Riverhawk B60

If you get into the ones over a foot long, then I'd say this limit is about double what it should be. Who can eat that many before they go bad? Granted, if you only get to fish once a month, maybe you think you want to clean 25 fish, but it gets old if you fish weekly or more often.
    papadave likes this.

1994 McKee Pulse 1700 WT with 2000 Johnson 115 - For Sale

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12