NC Angler Forums banner

A Tip To Make You Fish With More Efficiency

6K views 48 replies 27 participants last post by  Handyhands 
#1 ·
Here is a post i wrote in my blog and would like to hear some discussion on this topic. No link to the blog as i don't want this to appear as spaming.

How many times have you heard when discussing fishing: “the more you cast the more fish you catch.” It’s a fact if you can locate the fish, figure out their pattern, and get your lure in the water you will catch more fish. More casts also equal more chances to figure out that perfect pattern and to find where fish are holding. So why am I writing this? I want to share a way to get more casts and increase your efficiency on the water.

Now before I share this tip, I would like to ask you to keep an open mind as this will sound backward to a lot of you. Here is the tip: switch to left handed baitcasters. I know those reading this think I am crazy but here is the trick: you don’t have to switch hands.
Look at it this way, if you had never used a baitcaster before you would probably look at someone like they were crazy if they told you to “cast, put your thumb on the spool, switch hands, and work your lure.” If you look at this objectively you will agree that it makes absolutely no sense to switch hands after you cast.

Like many anglers my age, I learned to fish with a spinning reel where one does not switch hands when one casts. When I made the switch to a baitcaster it never made since to me. It messed my hook set up, I couldn’t work a lure right, and reeling was an awkward motion for me. One day while out on my father-in-law’s bass boat he noticed that most of my backlashes happened on the hand switch, and we began to think about trying out a left-handed version. The next time we went fishing he had one waiting on me to try. Seemingly all my problems were solved and he showed me after the trip a side note in Bassmaster magazine that said a tournament angler get 10-25% more casts in a day if he utilizes spinning gear to baitcasting because of the lack of hand switch. Imagine the amount of fish you could have possibly landed last year if you had 10-25% more casts!

Now that I have given you the pros, here are the cons. There is less of a selection of reels than there are for the conventional right handed reels. You won’t be able to go to Wal-Mart or a major retailer to buy a reel as they generally do not carry them. Also, brand new reels generally delay quite awhile in introducing a left-handed version. However, there are many great reels out there in left handed versions and with online shopping today you can research and purchase a reel without leaving your home. The only other con is that you may get fatigued quicker. I friend that I got to switch to left handed baitcaster said that because he would normally switch from casting to spinning equipment all day, thus changing which hand reeled and which arm worked the rod, he got fatigued quicker by not changing which hand reeled and which arm worked the rod. With some practice though, your endurance we be built and you will not notice anymore.

If you are looking to become a more efficient angler and you are not dead set in your ways, give this a shot. You will get more cast per trip, which may include you landing that trophy fish you have always dreamed of. Until next time

Stay Safe, Be Awesome,
AA

See less See more
#2 ·
Long ago I switched to left handed baitcasters. I didn't think about getting more casts but that part makes sense two. I did it cause I use so much spinning gear it just was natural for me. Often I would get strike while switching hands and lose the fish - no more. My trolling gear uses conventional reels with right hand retrieve though.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a conventional reel (with right hand retrieve) for jigging. I currently use a spoinning reel but my arm (not my hand) gets tired after a while when jigging big fish in deep water (200' +). It would be nice to switch off once in a while.

#6 ·
I spincasted as a kid, what little I fished, and baitcasted before I used a spinning rod, so I got use to reeling right handed and prefer it, but I throw right handed and prefer casting right handed. I move my handles on spinning reels to the right side. I will occasionally cast left handed, as I am not terrible at it, but usually, I just switch hands just as the bait hits the water, and don't think I really lose any time in so doing. Maybe I am wrong, though.

#7 ·
I too switched to left-handed baitcasters for the same reasons posted here. So glad I did, never looked back. Biggest drawback is you can't buy a reel just anywhere like you can with right-handed.

#8 ·
I haven't tried left-handed baitcasters yet as this idea is new to me. I'm not sold on the concept of left-handers making fishing more "efficient". If fishing was one continious motion then yes eliminating the switch would deffinatly make it more efficient. But since it is not, as we pause, pulse, jig, jerk etc. baits through the water, I think I benefit from the switch. The 1-2 second switch time allows the bait to settle or start sinking when it hits the water. This 1-2 second pause could be just enough time for any fish around to notice what I'm throwing before it's yanked away.

#9 ·
I cast right handed and reel right handed. I switch all my spinners and rarely use a baitcaster. Don't think I'm missing out since on a long cast I've already got the rod in my left hand and waiting on the lure to touch down and flip the bail with my right hand.On a short open bail pitch I will flip the bail with my left hand. I think if you are missing those fish that hit as soon s it lands you're just not closing the bail fast enough. There is no way I could train myself to reel left handed. If i got 75% morr casts I'd still be horribly uncoordinated.Not sure how I got to be that way. Most of my childhood days were with a zebco- aren't they right hand reel? It's been a while since I noticed but if I remember correctly KVD switches like me -spinner and baitcaster right hand reel.

#10 ·
So you guys that switch hands can keep a buzzbait on top of the water without it ever going under after casting?

I think people tend to get stuck in their ways and used to doing it a certain way. My dad fished switching hands for as long as i can remember (30 years) and has started buying left hand reel and relearning over the last 5 years and has adjusted fine. I guess im a bit ambidextrous, i cast a spinning reel with my right hand(reel LH) and a bait caster with my left(reel RH), so I am fairly comfortable doing it either way. There is no argument that can support switching hands other than "i cant/dont want to relearn"

It does amaze me the lack of left hand reels in a right hand dominant society, it is almost similar to golf, where you almost have to learn to do it right handed.

#12 ·
I'm certainly not arguing just saying what I do a that I don't lose any time or miss fish. I will agree with the percentages used though in the post. Even if your average cast was 10 seconds and this will give you at least 10% more casts the the switch is taking a full second- and after the lure hits. That's too slow so you ought to do something about it.if done while the lure is traveling then you haven't lost anything. Still think the closing of the bail or engaging the reel is a big key here. Alot of times I pop the bail just before it hits the water to help keep from reeling the "bow" out of the line. I just don't think I would ever be able to reel as fast with my non dominant hand and not gonna try.
If a lack of baitcasters with left hand retrieve is frustrating someone who wants to employ this technique you could just " learn" to cast with your left arm instead and your problem would be solved.

#14 ·
I have posed this same question many times "Why do you reel spinning reels with your left hand and baitcasters with your right?". Never made sense to me. I have never gotten a satisfactory answer. I started using left handed baitcasters right from the start because reeling with my right hand felt unnatural after using spinning gear for so long. One drawback that hasn't been mentioned is that the line can get snagged on the handle when flipping. I usually try to turn it down to keep it out of the way.

#15 ·
I've always moved the handle of my spinning reels over to the right. It's easier to find that feature on a spinner than to find the left-handed caster. Being left-handed has its benefits.

#16 ·
I read KVD uses a left retrieve baitcaster when flipping. Right hand cast retrieve for anything else.
I know Jason Quinn learned to flip with his left arm. Guess what I'm still saying is flipping is where it matters because you don't have time to switch and engage. You are gonna do alot more casts in a day flipping than regular casting.

#19 ·
yes I can also keep a buzzer on top and switch hands......Jim will correct me if i am wrong but i do believe more cast equals more fish as he has "noticed" how many times I cast.....I dont want have a left handed baitcaster....dont need it.....mack

Reactions: bwguffey
#36 ·
Verified. Also, to add to one of my earlier posts, after I had posted I went outside and made a few casts, to see what I was unconsciously doing to enable me to begin the retrieve as the bait landed. I found that I often finish the "thumbing" with my left hand. It might help that I have a long handled baitcasting rod, and I already use two hands to cast (pendulum style), so my left hand is already right there. When I make the switch, I am palming the reel before the lure hits the water, and my left thumb just finishes the braking as I engage the handle.

#20 ·
I too switch hands - muscle memory won't let me work the bait effectively with my right hand, or cast with my left hand. Walking a spook with my right hand would look like some zombie on the prowl :eek: Casting with my left hand is likewise a disaster.

I agree with some of the others about spinner/buzz baits - With a properly balanced rod and the reel's brakes set up right, I can switch hands and engage the reel before the bait ever hits the water. Takes practice though.

Whomever mentioned that they can't throw spinning gear, you're not the only one.

#26 ·
I agree, good discussion and good tip too. Thinking about it though, using left-handed gear wouldn't be as practical as learning left-handed casting and bait retrieve. Being unable to cast with my left hand is limiting... I always work the bank on the port side because I throw low and to the side, and two strictly right-hand casters in my boat is awkward for one of us no matter which side we're fishing. I'm so stuck with my cast motion that when I'm fishing with other guys in yaks and the bank is on the starboard side, I've got to move my yak backward to keep the bank on the port side :eek:

Anyway it's at least something to consider when taking fresh kids out fishing for the first time, get them started with a left-hand cast on right-hand gear - best of both worlds.

#27 ·
I have never used a baitcaster.. I still use spinning reels and cast with my right and reel with my left. I close the bail with my left, and if I start to get fatigued, I just change my cast to either side arm or over my left shoulder. I do this before fatigue sets in anyway.

If I ever do start using a bait caster (and have thought about it for pendulum casting- now I do a south african or ground cast for 100+ yds) I would just get a left handed caster as that is what would feel natural.

As far as keeping a buzz bait from dropping, I reel in the slack mid cast or for shorter casts, close the bail and load the rod slightly to take in the slack. Takes a little practice to know when..

#28 ·
Appangler- don't worry about stirring anything up.
This handedness issue, braid VS mono, and spinner VS baitcaster thread/s happen on a regular schedule. Somebody is gonna start it; ) we all say our piece and if you're not listening you just may miss something. Or of you hear it enough. It caused me to give flouro a try and I've been pretty happy with the results for maybe the past year. Still yet to take to the baitcaster but I can use one for heavy stuff. Still have no accuracy compared to a spinner though.
In the end they all come down to doing what you are comfortable with.
Any of you ambidextrous people just consider yourselves lucky. My left is nothing compared to my right. So it makes sense to me to cast with it. My dominant is better at reeling too-which is what you're doing 90% of the time -so that's why I switch.

#29 ·
I have a Bass Pro Extreme ETX10SHLB with a matching pole and it is left handed. I can't cast it very far or very well, I think the 8lb YO ZURI line that is on it might be too thin. I wanted a baitcaster so I could learn how to use it for a long time but never bought one because the handle was on the wrong side on every one that I looked at and it couldn't be switched.
Ever since I started fishing I cast with my right hand and reel with my left, it just feels natural to do so and it makes sense. I want to be able to work the lure with my dominant hand and let the other just spin the handle. I never knew that I was fishing left handed. I have always wondered why my fiancee says that I cast/retrieve weird because she does the switching hand method and has since she was old enough to hold a fishing pole.

I'm right handed by the way.

#31 ·
I agree with a number of the posts above in that the time involved in switching hands is minimal because the bait is in the air anyway. I am a righty, but have learned to fly cast with both "hands". I fish traditional spinning gear and switch to right handed baitcasters without a problem. However, I also own two left handed baitcasters which I prefer for certain techniques. There are days when I switch between spinning gear, right handed BCs, and left handed BCS. Occasionally I reach for the reel handle on the wrong side, but much less often than you would expect. It really boils down to what is comfortable and works for you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.