Thread: Randleman - first time out - HELP!

Default Randleman report - first time out - HELP!

My dad and I decided to drive from Winston and give Randleman a try since I've heard so many good things about it. After doing some research last night using Google Earth and Bing Maps to find some places, I felt pretty good about our chances. Long story short, we only caught 1 bass and 1 crappie. We lost a few we had on, but they were small dinks anyway. We threw everything but the kitchen sink at 'em and couldn't get a bite. We tried fishing protected coves that were relatively flat, coves that had some good depth changes, coves with lots of cover, banks along the main parts of the lake, bridge pilings, rip rap. Basically everything except structure in open water. We saw a few fish on the beds, so they must be spawning now.

Here's the funny thing, we thought it might be because the drastic temp change and rain moving through (read: excuses). Then after we loaded the boat up, we talked to a guy who just got done and said they killed it. Caught a ton of crappie, and 15 bass not even trying to catch them. Then we went to return our buoy and the guy got our numbers and said 2 different boats left earlier and they had caught 25 bass each. Also, a few boats earlier had caught around 200 crappie.

I guess I'm just not as good as I thought I was. I usually fish old lady Badin and can usually catch them there. I'm not asking anybody to give me their honeyhole, but what am I missing? Where should I be keying in at, and what lures have been working for you lately out there? If you would rather send me a PM to keep your info confidential that's fine too, because any help you can offer will help get me off the ledge.

- Sore loser

68 views and no responses. Come on, help a brother out!

I, for one, think there's alot of hype about Randleman that it's not living up to. I never doubt that I can be outfished and they *may* have actually slayed them but I don't put much stock in other guy's grand reports without seeing their creel - That's the one reason why I never post a report without pics to back it up, fishermen have been known to lie. They might be trying to psych you out, they might be embellishing to mentally justify the launch fee, they might be just insane. Then again, they may be just that good (MichealG ). Who knows. If it's your first time on new water, it's twice as important not to be intimidated. Try something different next time out but don't compare your skills to anyone other than yourself and don't believe everything you hear at a ramp.

If it makes you feel any better, I consider myself a pretty dog-gone accomplished basser and didn't land the first one yesterday at Randleman. Ended up with a beetle-spin at the end of the day, caught a couple of crappie and broke the skunk. The guys with me fared better, hit the right spots with the right baits at the right time but the action was incredibly slow all around. I'm not sweating yesterday so you don't sweat today man.
    Chadillac, and ryano like this.

spring fishing can definately be hit or miss. especially with cold fronts/ spawning and a variety of other factors in the mix
    They gonna burn a honeysuckle when I die

When I hear of people "catching bass without even trying", the first thing the first thing that comes to mind is live bait. When you are tearing up a school of crappie on minnows it is not uncommon to "estimate" the number of fish caught. Obviously a few bass can be caught that way as well.

I do not doubt that a Randleman regular (read tourney guy) can catch 20+ bass this time of year there. Estimation comes into play here as well. Also, when you fish to supplement your income, you invest A LOT of time and money into the "hobby".

Stay positive and keep doing what you are doing. Ask questions, research, and put the hours in on the water. The best way to get better is to fish as much as you can. Most importantly, cherish the time with your dad and don't get discouraged.

.........that being said, a black Texas-rigged Zoom trick or finesse worm with a 2/0-3/0 EWG hook is very hard to beat, especially when it's covered in your favorite fish attractant.

-jason
    bwguffey, and mookie like this.

Red X Anglers

Thanks guys for the help. Looking at going out next Wednesday or Thursday to try it again with my dad. Anybody thinking about heading out one of those days? Would love to meet and say hey.

wish I could join you guys. You are doing the right things.
    if you fish 200 days in a year, 50 of them might be good days. you won't remember the 150 tough days, only the good ones.
    when you are older, you will remember the days you fished with your dad, good or bad.
    bwguffey, and ryano like this.

They gonna burn a honeysuckle when I die

Quote Originally Posted by mookie View Post
    when you are older, you will remember the days you fished with your dad, good or bad.
    Amen to that
    bwguffey, and mookie like this.

Agreed. Days with Dad = Priceless
    bwguffey likes this.

2013 Totals = Bass - 0 Over 5 lbs-0 Crappie -0Trout - 0 Catfish - 2 Panfish - 0

Just spend as much time on the water as you can, especially with your dad. The more you fish the same lake, the more you will learn it and the fish. Sounds like you're doing the right thing, now just have to find the right spots. If you're targeting crappie, hit as many laydowns with a little jig head and chartruse body as you can. Some won't be holding any, others will have a bunch. Stay back away from the tree as far as you can and still make acurate casts, let it sink a bit, then s-l-o-w-l-y reel it in. Keep letting it sink a bit more each cast until you catch a fish. If you hang up, that's good. Just don't let it sink quite as much and you shouldn't be too far from a fish. My grandpa always said, "If you're not hanging up, you're not catching fish." They like structure. Good luck.
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

My son and I have hit Randleman hard ever since it opened, always with good luck until this spring. On two days (weekdays) about a week apart, we went nearly skunked after fishing every honey hole we knew with every lure we had, in weather that we knew had produced before, catching one fish one day and three the next, and none of them bass. Bummer... I even looked at the Warden's log book to see if it was everyone, or just us....it was us..... We repeated the same results on Falls a couple of weeks later. We're blaming all four days on weird weather, early spring, anything but our own ineptness....
    Our recommenation is to read the posts given above, and give it another shot. Sooner or later, it will all come together and you will see what the really has to offer. Best wishes......drjon.