Thread: Info on Crappie fishing

Default Info on Crappie fishing

I am basically a bass fisherman but I would like to get into crappie fishing as well. Can anyone give me some helpful tips, ideas on what to use and where to fish for crappie this time of year or anytime? I fish W kerr Scott lake in wilkes county a lot and any info specifically for crappie fishing there would be great too! and maybe norman. I fish there some as well. Thanks!
    Red X Angler

You got theis thread started early. You should get lots of help on this one from people who are in the know on crappie fishing.
    RED X ANGLER

Cant help you much on either Lake you fish. But start fishing shallow looking for stucture in the shallows, brush piles, docks, down trees, fish minnow or jigs under a float or cast smaller crank bait,
    Red X Angler

Everything is kind of slow right now with all this rain, at least for me. But I have been catching them at Jordan on jigheads tipped with 3" gulp alive minnows and some small in-line spinners like mepps. Sorry I can't help you with kerr, I have never fished there. But maybe trying those two techniques mentioned above in some shallows, is worth a shot, just my two cents.

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

small float over a 1" gulp minnow, 2-3 ft line between them, barely bump or jig the float along the top of the water and when it goes down for a couple seconds, jerk his jaw loose, also, live minnows under float

Redington Crosswater 6wt.....Perception Pescador 12

They will also bite small rattle traps, so if you are floating minnows on one rod, might as well cast out a RT or in line spinner on a second. Crappie like moving targets.
    "You no longer see water, You only see where fish live...." J. Berman
    Red X Angler

I use small twisty tail grubs, small tube baits or plastic minnows (I consider them generic equivalents) usually white with a black and/or red lead head. If you are in a boat, you can jig straight down as log as you don't bang around a lot. They like drowned trees; if there is an area of that I would try it first. Until I find them, I drop it to the bottom, reel up a turn or two, jig it up and down a few time, reel once, jig, reel, etc, to find the depth. The depth schools are holding at and active fish are feeding at are not always the same, BTW. So while a fish finder is helpful in locating them, don't limit your fishing to the depth where the school is. From the bank I like the same thing but usually either put it under a clear torpedo float or behind a spinner and keep it moving. If you bait fish, use minnows and hook them carefully to try to keep them alive. You will catch some on dead minnows, but the action seems better on lively ones.
    -Andy ​X

thanks fellows. and yes i got it started early RouseD.... life of a college student, staying up late studying for exams haha...
    RouseD likes this.

Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by RouseD View Post
    You got theis thread started early. You should get lots of help on this one from people who are in the know on crappie fishing.
    thanks fellows. and yes i got it started early RouseD.... life of a college student, staying up late studying for exams haha...
    RouseD likes this.

Red X Angler

you should also check out www.crappie.com too, theres a lot of knowlegeable people on there and regular fishing reports for crappie
    RouseD likes this.

Hobie Revo 13