NC Angler Forums banner

Trade small anchors?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  ice cream man 
#1 ·
I have a 5# galvanized fluke anchor with 10' of galvanized chain and I have not measured the rope, but I know it is a fair amount. It was for a 17' sailboat I used to own that weighed about 800#. Now I want something smaller that would hold a yak. Just to be clear, a fluke anchor is for sand or mud (Google is your friend) and they hold great there. If you throw it on a rocky bottom you will drag it around. Throw it in timber and you might as well cut the rope; you will never get it back. But I used it in the Pamlico with great results. I want something smaller that I can easily stow in a canoe or yak now. A collapsible 1.5# or 3# would be great. I could buy a 1.5# kit at Austin for $20, so I would sell for $20. I would also consider a trade for a mushroom anchor of 5# or less (a 5# fluke takes up a lot more space). I live in Cary near Holly Springs and work near North Hills.

#3 ·
That is Plan B. The store bought type can be a lot lighter, though. Partly from shape (something that "digs in") and partly from relative density. Concrete is only 2 - 2.5 times heavier than water, while steel is 7 - 8 times heavier. So a small metal anchor that weighs less than a larger concrete one in the boat can weigh more on the bottom, if that makes any sense.

#5 ·
Complete, but the anchor line is poly rope. I think that's a feature - if it is dropped in and it isn't too deep, some of the rope will float. If you don't want the poly rope, I can knock a coupla bucks off. 13.5" x 12" x 5", but the 5" is only at that one spot in the middle at the bottom; most of it folds flat (1/2" or so).

#7 ·
I can try to get one tonight. If you are able to swing by the North Hills area during the day or my house in the afternoon or early evening, I can just let you have it for free. The price has changed because another member gave me a 3# kayak anchor in response to this ad. Since he didn't want me to pay him, I will pay it forward instead.

Below is a picture of one like it that I marked the measurements on:

Guitar accessory Font String instrument Musical instrument accessory Parallel

#8 ·
Best anchor that i have found for a small boat is just a heavy piece of chain and an old window weight. Take the chain and put an old bicycle tube around it and it can be used as a drag chain. Clip the window weight to the end of it and it makes a great anchor. If you need to anchor off both ends of the boat, hang the window weight off the front and the drag chain off the back. All of it can fit in a tiny bag and is easily deploy-able. also this http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/phpBB/topic27007.html for your anchor line management. it allows you to just unclip and go retrieve snags and leave your anchor in place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.