Thread: Buzzards Bay Kayak Fun

Default Buzzards Bay Kayak Fun

Had the good fortune to be off on Friday and Saturday with great conditions of calm winds and tides in our favor. Headed out with Mulletman and drove down the beach to crossover 4. Both days started off rather slow for me but patience and perseverance paid off for both of us. When the tide started to rise and flood the marsh grass we were able to find the reds both days. But on Saturday I was still smelling the skunk when upon poling along a grass line I spotted two reds just as they saw me and they took off along with a good number of their friends pushing lots of water right along the grass line - boy was i upset just spooking a school - We stayed in the area working the grass and creeks and coves and they came back and we started catching fish - Soft plastics rigged weedless were the key - i'm hooked on the big bite bio bait in the baby trout pattern - we are participating in the Kayak Wars online tournament and were hopeful to put up some points for our team. Well my 3rd fish on Saturday will be a memorable one for quite some time - I was in a skinny cove and casting into the grass with only about 1 to 2 foot of water and I feel the hit - hook up and see some serious commotion and splashes right up against the grass - well it starts to head to the left then turns back toward the right and i'm worried it's going into the grass - was able to get it turned around and headed toward the open water and had a couple of good drag screaming line pull runs - having caught a number of upper slot and just over slot reds I had a good feel that this was a big one - using ultralight tackle it was an absolute drain on me getting the fish in - upon release the fish still had plenty of energy and took off immediately, but i was actually tired and thrilled to have just landed a personal best 31.5" red out of a kayak! !Out of the two days only one red was under slot and we put up 19 reds at 15 points each for our team - had an absolute ball and can't wait to do it again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 004.jpg‎   big red 2nd pi.jpg‎  

Good job teammate!
    Native Watercraft Prostaff
    Outdoor Supply Company fishing team

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    US Armed Services Veteran

Congrats Paul, you're putting a hurting on the bass and reds this year.

Nice work for sure!!!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?iyuyua
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

Awesome fish, congrats on new personal best! Looks like you had an outstanding day after it started out slow.
    Red X Angler

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught." ~Author Unknown