Thread: need help looking for a surf rod and reel

Default need help looking for a surf rod and reel

when i go surf fishing i will take two of my catfishing rods and reels witch is abu 6600 and mh 7" rods . i would say i can cast them around 200 feet with 3 oz weight . i want 1 rod and reel that i will just use for surf fishing that will out cast what i all ready got ... what do yall think ???

That will depend on how far out you want to fish. Most of the fish..spots, sea mullet, pompano, flounder can be caught right in the breakers and you don't need to cast way out. Take that Abu an put it on a 8 or 9 foot rod and you will be able to lob it farther...
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Where are you surf fishing and what are you fishing for?

Agree with Scott, you just need a longer rod so you can cast further if you need to.

It sounds like you are bottom fishing. If so you might want to be able to throw a little more weight as well. Look at rods that will throw up to 5 oz, that will give you a little more flexibility to handle different conditions.

I am tackle ho` but it is hard to have one rod for surf fishing.

When I go surf fishing, I never take fewer than 3 different rods. Different species and different conditions mandate different equipment. There us no such thing as a "universal" surf rod. That said, If I WERE going to limit myself to one rod, it would be at least 10 ft capable of throwing 5 ounces. If I were planning on fishing the Outer Banks, I'd up that to 11 ft and 8 ounces.
    Red X Angler "'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

OK thanks yall . i should have thought of that, just get longer rods .. i was surf fishing at Holden yesterday and i though it would be nice to throw a lot further just to see what i would catch . i fish from 5:00pm in till dark yesterday and caught 2 whiteys, 3 blow fish, 2 sharks , 1 stingray and 8 blues .. I just do it for fun any way. my kids are playing my wife is laying out and i'm fishing ... fish ain't biting then i'm playing too.. LOL