NC Angler Forums banner
4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Mack in N.C. 
#1 ·
catfish lake and haywoods landing

Me and my buddy headed out to croatan national forest yesterday to try out some of the spots there and wow! The place is really nice and was a good get away from everything! First, we went to haywoods landing and fished around the bank there but didnt get any luck, just a couple of bites. Then we headed over to catfish lake and did pretty good using some chicken liver and fishing on the bottom. I got 6 flatheads and my buddy got 2, they werent very big but it was a good time. Anybody know how or where I gotta go to get some big ones? Also, I know i might not be in the right forum here but I bought my first flyrod over the weekend and I was wondering if anybody knew of a good spot for me to get staryed with my flyrod and does anybody know of a tackle shop around jacksonville where I can get some gear? Tgats about it for now thanks for the help and have a good one!

#2 ·
FYI, Catfish Lake is not on your direct way home to Camp LeJeune. There is a much better way to get to Haywoods Landing by going thru Stella. Secondly, Catfish Lake Rd is off limits to Marines stationed at Cherry Point by order of the Base Commander. I would not be surprised if the same order is in place for Camp LeJeune Marines.

ok, see below...not offlimits if hunting or fishing

#3 ·
Order prohibits use of Catfish Lake Road
Lance Cpl. Cory D. Polom, MCAS Cherry Point
An unpaved road frequented by eastern North Carolina Marines is now effectively prohibited for use by military personnel, according to a new order.
The II Marine Expeditionary Force and Marine Corps Installations East joint order, 5100.3, was signed into policy, March 19. The order is punitive in nature, and service members found in violation are punishable under Article 92 of the Uniformed Code of Military Justice.
According to the order, use of Catfish Lake Road, located between U.S. Highway 70 in Craven County and North Carolina Highway 58 in Jones County, has been limited in an effort to reduce the potential for vehicle-related fatalities, injuries and property damage.
Under the limited-use policy, traversing the road is in violation of the order unless the service member has a legitimate purpose to be on the roads unpaved surface, such as hunting or fishing in the forest in the area.
The new order is applicable to all active duty service members attached to MCI-East and II MEF, whether they are on duty, leave or liberty.
You could be the greatest driver in the world, but it just takes one second and you could lose your life, said Cpl. Darien J. Garland, a Cherry Point weather forecaster, who suffered injuries in an accident that took place in January on Catfish Lake Road.
Potholes and the loose gravel only add to accident liability, said Cpl. Patrick N. Osborne, a Cherry Point accident investigator. When you add those two factors with the speed factor and peoples complacency, the end result could be serious injury or death.
Since November 2009, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron aboard Cherry Point has had two accidents due to poor driving on these back roads, said Lt. Col. Michael J. Murphy, director of safety and standardization for the air station.
Murphy said H&HS has lost one Marine and had another injured along with his civilian passenger. In both instances, driving too fast for the conditions on dirt roads was a contributing factor.
The risk of vehicle mishaps along Catfish Lake Road are significantly higher because of the curves, blind spots, lack of posted speed limits and absence of roadway lighting at night, according to the new order.
First off, if at all possible, avoid back roads, said Murphy. If you do go down these roads, drive slow and stay alert. Even when the weather has been dry and the roads are clear, you can get into accidents. Drivers that pass you kick up dust or drive too close and can push you into the loose shoulder.
The death of a Marine is not just a tragedy for families, said Lt. Col. Glenn C. Vogel, commanding officer of H&HS. To his co-workers, its a loss of a comrade we can relate to. It is a tremendous loss for the section, platoon, unit and the Marine Corps. Its unnecessary and almost always avoidable. It is hard to comprehend when a young Marine or Sailor dies, in the prime of his life, because of an accident.

#8 ·
From what I understand, Catfish lake lacks good water chemistry for decent size fish or good fishing. To much stuff, not enough water, not enough water turnover. I read a pretty good summation somewhere. But for the record, I have never fished it. I think the Neuse, up above New Bern should be better for catfish.

#9 ·
i doubt there are flatheads in catfish lake tough i coould be wrong....too acidic for them...those fish were probaly bullheads which can live in there though it wouldnt be a surprise if someone had put some flatheads in there.....post a pic if u can...mack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.