Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrier Island Swansboro

Default Barrier Island Swansboro

Somebody please explian to me where the barrier islands are? I think they include bear island and such but I keep hearing reports of redfish in the bays behind the barrier island. I fish small creeks behind bear inlet but I can't find these schools. Any help would be great.

Barrier Islands are the string of islands that make up the Outer Banks, both Northern and Southern. They are the first line of protection at the Oceans edge. In other words Bogue Banks, Bear Island, Browns Island, Topsail Island etc.... are all barrier Islands. I know what your saying though, I keep hearing of schools of drum behind some of these islands too but never seem to come upon one. Just keep scouting around (as quietly as possible) and you'll end up finding them....or so I'm told.
    42 1/2" Custom-X IZM, 6'-2" Action thruster, 8 1/2"wide Alva w/ Independant Trucks and 16' Ocean Kayak - in that order

Thanks. That what I was looking for. I feel better that I am not the only one who can't find them. Ill be out on friday trying to locate them again. Going to try to look in the bigger bays then the small creeks.

Which side is better to fish on? Behind bear Island or the other side of the bridge by Emerald Isle?

FWIW.. I've never come across a "school" of more than four or five... I too have been denied the pleasure of fishing them...

Rye I would be happy to see 4 or 5 lol. Starting to think that fishing reports you seen on websites are bogus. They tell you that they are fish there, but there not. They are just trying to lead us average fishing guys to the wrong spots.

I also have been searching for those large schools of Drum in the bays, flats, and marshes "behind the barrier islands" neary Swansboro, Bear Island, and Emerlad Isle. Have looked hard the past two weekends, but havn't found them yet. Found one school of trout and one school of blues, but thats abou it!!!

I'm planning on searching again on Saturday so if you have any luck on Friday please let me/us know.

Here's proof they are back there. I feel when I'm looking in my kayak, I'm too low to spot them before they spot me. Wish I could answer your question about where Dustin, but I havent seen firsthand a school like this but a lot of the reports I hear are scattered as far as exact locations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dJOA4inSIdo
    42 1/2" Custom-X IZM, 6'-2" Action thruster, 8 1/2"wide Alva w/ Independant Trucks and 16' Ocean Kayak - in that order

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reds.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	39866 Try looking around here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reds2.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	39867 and here

They are off the beaten path, I will tell you that much.
    BigE818 likes this.

Speckhunter, I saw one of my red x's in your second picture. Nice little trout hole back in there. Just tough to get to this past year due to Irene screwing everything up.
    RED X ANGLER

^Thats exaclty where I've been loooking, so THANKS for saving me some gas money on Saturday. I'll keep looking. I'm assuming I need to move into more shallow water. That's tough to do in my brain as I don't want to get stuck as I am on a 19 V hull that makes me uncomfortable in less than 1.5 feet. I'll keep pushing and get it figured out soon enough. Thanks again.
    BigE818 likes this.

I'm guessing there ain't a lot to do in there at low tide if you don't get that V out of there in time.
    -Andy ​X

^That'd be my assumption as well Andy. Probaly have time to smoke a pork shoulder, but I'd rather do that somewhere else.

You are wasting your time in a V-hull. The fish are in 6-10" of water.
    BigE818, and RouseD like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast