Thread: Fishing @ Bogue Banks 4/27-28

Default Fishing @ Bogue Banks 4/27-28

I am going to be down at Emerald Isle for a couple of days late next week (all day Friday and Saturday). If the bites really hot at the surf (staying on the beach) and/or the wind and waves are high then I will stick to fishing there or maybe go down to BIP. But if I have good weather I may paddle out and fish a little, either off the beach or in Bogue Sound or Swansboro. But if I go sound side or Swansboro, I would be looking for a place where there is parking and the fishing is pretty much right there (not a long paddle). Where I am staying is very near the public ramp into Bogue Sound, but that has a narrow canal for what looks like maybe a quarter mile that probably would not be fun to share with motor boats and I don't know if the area of Bogue it then dumps you into is good fishing or not.
    Supracerxtreme likes this.

-Andy ​X

Check out Cedar Point Campground in Croatan National Forest. Very close to EI, public boat ramp on the White Oak River. Check the area out on google maps, lots of fishy lookin places within easy paddle distance.
    BigE818, and OptiMystic like this.

Try the Hammock's Beach Park on the mainland in Swnasboro they did have kayak launch there near the ferry dock at the mouth of the Queens Creek. Plenty of trout, red drum and flounder to be found in the Queens. There have been many many post on here about the "catching" on queens creek.

You may even want to check out the kayak business at the WaterWay Inn on NC 24 in Cedar Point from there it is a short paddle across the ICW to some nice areas for trout, drum, flounder and bottom dwellers.

Good Luck and hope you enjoy your time in "paradise".
    OptiMystic likes this.

"A Bad Day Fishing Beats a Good Day At Work
    BoutTime Saltwater Fishing Team

That WaterWay Inn site looks good; it is right next door to a newly renovated public ramp that is open again. Google says 15 minutes from where I am staying. And right across a reasonably small channel is a few fishy looking islands. I suspect they get some pressure, but they might be about to get a little more.
    -Andy ​X

I think that area is your best bet. I fished that area pretty hard this past weekend and came up empty but I think that cold spell we had driven them out of the shallow flats. With this warm weather, hopefully they're back by the time you arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by OptiMystic View Post
    That WaterWay Inn site looks good; it is right next door to a newly renovated public ramp that is open again. Google says 15 minutes from where I am staying. And right across a reasonably small channel is a few fishy looking islands. I suspect they get some pressure, but they might be about to get a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerfin View Post
    I think that area is your best bet. I fished that area pretty hard this past weekend and came up empty but I think that cold spell we had driven them out of the shallow flats. With this warm weather, hopefully they're back by the time you arrive.
    Yeah, that is one thing that makes sound/sea fishing very different. The fishing pressure really doesn't take effect until things are fairly static, like when the Summer weather is basically the same for weeks at a time. Lots of species are still in transit. The fish I may be fishing for are likely miles away right now. At least that's how I am choosing to look at it, because I am OptiMystic.
    -Andy ​X

OK, so here is what I am thinking...

Name:  cedarpoint.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  78.8 KB

Cross the channel and try the 5 spots I marked. Daytime high tide will be around noon Friday 4/27 and about 1PM on Saturday. Not sure which day (or maybe both) I will do it and won't until it is close enough to see weather that is reasonably accurate. I plan to start before high tide and come back in after which means I will be fighting the current both ways, but I plan to be a couple of hours on either side of high tide when I cross. If the current is too fast, I can go up to the West Channel and in that way or carry across a short strip of beach on the island by spot #5 assuming that's allowed.

I will troll a mirrorlure when in transit and cast it and plastic grubs when anchored or drifting near my marked spots. I may take my collapsible fly rod and a few streamers and shrimp patterns (some of which are small, so I can downsize if I am getting skunked). I will also have a bait rig or two so that if I downsize and catch small stuff, I can put one out for bait.

That's my plan. Sound reasonable? Anyone else going to be around that may be interested?
    -Andy ​X

There are a lot of great places around the Emerald Isle area to fish from a Kayak. From the NC24/Cedar Point ramp you can get to the inlet channel and the sound side of hammocks beach, the mouth of the White Oak river, and there is plenty of marsh area/creeks across the ICW from that ramp and on a good day you can even fish the ICW channel from a Kayak.
    Tight LInes to ya and catch 'em up.

After looking at your map the area you marked is some good fishing, also try the boat docks on the ICW if it is calm even. They have produced some nice flounder and specks for me. Use live bait, gulp, or mirrorlures.
    BigE818 likes this.

FYI, this (click) is what I will use to decide if it looks good or not next week. There is a page of reporting stations for SC/NC that also lists a few lakes; very useful resource. I had it bookmarked for use back when I had my last sailboat, but it is also useful for fishing (now avoiding the wind instead of looking for it). Only 3 days worth, but with the hour by hour forecast, anything further is fantasy...
    -Andy ​X