Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hobie announces the Pro Angler 12...

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    US Armed Services Veteran

Hey PedalPirate.....I honestly take those comments as a VERY NICE compliment!!! Thank you!!

I see that you are up in Cary, and I get back to NC to see my family and a "lady friend" up in the Burlington area about every 60 days, so I hope we can meet up on my next trip and wet a line...and HOPEFULLY stretch a line too!!

Next trip from FLA is around June 2nd for my Grand-daughter's Dance Recital, so I will post my plans on NCAngler later on, and I hope that we can wet a line together!! Thanks.....JohnYaksJax
    dbeam, and PedalPirate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYaksJax View Post
    Hey PedalPirate.....I honestly take those comments as a VERY NICE compliment!!! Thank you!!

I see that you are up in Cary, and I get back to NC to see my family and a "lady friend" up in the Burlington area about every 60 days, so I hope we can meet up on my next trip and wet a line...and HOPEFULLY stretch a line too!!

Next trip from FLA is around June 2nd for my Grand-daughter's Dance Recital, so I will post my plans on NCAngler later on, and I hope that we can wet a line together!! Thanks.....JohnYaksJax
    Sounds good John...PMing my contact info. Just give me a little notice beforehand.

Thanks!
    Tight Lines, JoeyB - Hobie Pro Angler

Catch & Release Angler

about the mariners... you cant really compare them to a pro angler.

the mariner is basicly the equivalent of the outback in dimension and weight (width especially) but the pro angler... thats in a class of its own!

other than needing a trailer for the beast the pro angler is one AWSOME boat for kayak fishing.

@peddlepirate - about your letter to hobie
    i think hobie answered that with the revo 11, only 47 pounds without the drive !!!
    Hobie Revo 13

I was thinking about why their pricing strategy was upsetting me on this new item (other than I can't afford it!), and it reminded me of how Harley Davidson did something similar back in the early 2000's. One day, someone at HD woke up and decided they could charge whatever they wanted for a new motorcycle and all of the sudden you couldn't touch one for under $20K. I realize there was a conscious decision made to control inventory to dealers as well, but you get the point. Anyway, while that may be true in the short term, what happened was it turned the old timers like my Dad who had ridden HD's since the late 60's completely off. My Dad traded his Road King in for a Triumph and never looked back (along with a whole lot of "fence sitters " as JoeyB says!). I just hope I don't hop the fence and buy my first Native and never look back next time I'm ready for a new vessel.

Hobie Mirage Revolution 13

Quote Originally Posted by bwguffey View Post
    Yikes! If you still can't really cartop it, is there really any advantage to the shorter boat?
    That's a good point Guff. Not sure "car topping" and "Pro Angler" are synonymous no matter what the length!
    bwguffey, and JohnYaksJax like this.

Darn it...I KNEW they were going to do this as soon as I bought a Mariner. I had heard rumors of a shorter PA last year when they introduced the Revo 11. I was torn between the Mariner and the Outback, and the comfy seat + ability to stand got me into the Mariner. Very happy with the Mariner, but had there been a Pro Angler 12 at the time it would have been a much tougher decision.

Looks like a sweet boat all around...only drawback I see is the 98 pounds without seat and drive...I would have expected them to shave maybe another 10 pounds or so off. Even with the price I think you are going to see a lot of these boats hitting the water this summer...Hobie makes a heck of a product and has good marketing. BTW, I don't think there is any way they'll retail this for the same price as the Pro Angler 14...but we'll see.
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100, Native Watercraft Mariner 12.5

I have no problems with my angler in the back of the truck. Have the bed extender but it doesnt even rest on it. Same price as the the 14.WOW

Quote Originally Posted by BugSlinger View Post
    BTW, I don't think there is any way they'll retail this for the same price as the Pro Angler 14...but we'll see.

I hope you're right. I could see them justifying the cost with the new upgrades, cost of engineering, molds, etc., but the demand is still elastic relative to the price. In other words, there's only so much someone will pay for an upgraded model before they find a subsitute with similar features for less money, e.g. Native Mariner.
    Echerd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugSlinger View Post
    BTW, I don't think there is any way they'll retail this for the same price as the Pro Angler 14...but we'll see.
    It is...what it is...
    Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12: L 12'; W 36"; 120 lbs (rigged); 500-lb capacity; $2,549.

Catch & Release Angler

120lbs... my jon boat doesn't weigh that much. This doesn't seem like a 'kayak' as much as just a small plastic fishing boat.
    Echerd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 69boo307 View Post
    120lbs... my jon boat doesn't weigh that much. This doesn't seem like a 'kayak' as much as just a small plastic fishing boat.
    Make no bones about it...they don't market it as a kayak. That's why it's under the heading "Mirage Drive Boats" on their website...not "Mirage Drive Kayaks". The first sentence of their model description will further confirm: "Simply put, the Pro Angler 14 is a no-nonsense fishing boat."
    bwguffey, and FishinCary like this.

Red X Angler
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    US Armed Services Veteran

Very good questions by many people, and VERY GOOD INFO provided by TacoBo and PedalPirate and BugSlinger and others!!

Here is the post that the President and Owner of our "outfitters" posted in our JKF website today...AFTER he spoke at length with the National Sales Manager of Hobie Kayaks!!

JOE WROTE:
    "Good to see a lot of interest in this new boat.
    Keith from our store got to see a prototype at the Hobie Dealer Meeting in March and is very excited about it.

Since I talked to the person at Hobie who would know all of the answers yesterday, I will give everyone the straight scoop

1. It will sell for the same price as the PA14 @ $2549
    2. Each dealer that wants to stock this boat will get an allocation of 2 PA12's when production commences.
    3. Production of this boat is scheduled to start in the second week of May with the first one's appearing in stores probably right around memorial day.

This is the specific to Black Creek section

4. Black Creek has placed additional orders for PA 12's that will be sent out in the month of June.
    5. We will only sell one of the first 2 PA12's we have coming. We want to have the kayak here for everyone to see and demo.
    6. We will take deposits on the other kayaks we have coming in towards the end of June.
    7. We will be contacting Hobie every 2 weeks to make sure we have accurate information on the timetable I just laid out above.
    8. We have 6 months same as cash financing available through GE Credit for those who qualify.

Lastly I will say this
    The PA12 (in our opinion) is still not a kayak you will want to car top . The weight loss from the 14 is negligible.

We have been in business for over 25 years and almost never has a product launch gone as scheduled. Initially Hobie's plan was to have a warehouse full of PA12's when they showed the product at the dealer meeting in March. Obviously that did not happen."

JOHNYAKSJAX COMMENTS:
    The Hobie PA/12 announcement was poorly timed based on the availability of the new model.

Already, I have had two customers decide NOT to purchase the Hobie PA/14 right now and just wait for the new PA/12....or at least look at our two "Demo PA/12" boats......THE PRO ANGLER IS NOT CALLED A KAYAK....IT IS A BOAT....just like Bo or somebody above here posted!!
    BTW.....our "outfitters" is an Authorized Native Dealer, so we also carry all of their products..

By announcing the PA/12 with "similar" sizes and better features at the SAME PRICE, they have pretty much created a roadblock to selling either...so they are sending "Premier Dealers" like us a couple of demos to show customers the new boats and features.

I "may" be getting one of the two demos that we get to fish and show it to people, but since my Toyota Corolla is not good for "car topping", I am not certain that will happen. I would be able to demo it and let people paddle/pedal it for several months until it is generally available......????

Whatever....it is NOT the replacement for the PA/14.....and it "might" be the model for the new PA/14 this coming fall....and it cannot exist at the same price point as the PA/14 for too long....AND THESE ARE MY COMMENTS AND NOT THOSE OF BCO OR HOBIE!!
    Right now....who knows.....JohnYaksJax
    bwguffey, and PedalPirate like this.

Good stuff John...see if you can bring one during your next visit. ; )

If indeed Hobie comes out with a new version of the PA14...I am sure we will be looking at a $3K price tag hanging from it.

Not really an issue for me...love my PA14 (fishing vessel) and since I added the seat slide...have no issues. Currently have 500 plus hours/miles on it and counting.
    TacoBo likes this.

Catch & Release Angler

X2 Joey, great info guys!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYaksJax View Post
    Whatever....it is NOT the replacement for the PA/14.....and it "might" be the model for the new PA/14 this coming fall....and it cannot exist at the same price point as the PA/14 for too long....AND THESE ARE MY COMMENTS AND NOT THOSE OF BCO OR HOBIE!!
    Right now....who knows.....JohnYaksJax
    You know I hadn't even considered the possibility they would raise the price on the PA14, but I bet that's exactly what will happen now that you've brought it up. They'll slide this new model into the current 14 price slot, then jack the price on the 14 with the new features when they'e ready to release it. Wouldn't be surprised to see a retail slightly under the $3K mark in the near future...just my guess: $2995. Rolls off the tongue better than $3,000!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast