NC Angler Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

This is how bad things have gotten at Hatteras

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jeffonc 
#1 ·
I know people are getting tired of my harping on this matter, but the more people who are aware, the more chance we have of getting something done. More beach was closed today. If you have Google Earth, check out this latest map.
http://www.nps.gov/caha/planyourvisit/googleearthmap.htm

The 3 tiny areas in green are what is now open to vehicles. There is much more beach open on Ocracoke than Hatteras. I predict that by May 15th, ORV's will be banned from EVERY INCH of Hatteras Island.
Please! GET INVOLVED!

#6 ·
I'm a bird lover too but don't get me wrong I'm really not understanding why beach traffic is a problem if it is kept to a single track to minimize damage to nesting areas. Wouldn't most fishermen observe this precaution in exchange for the right to pass? I understand that these nesting areas have ben in use by generations of birds but I know these areas are not the only areas these birds use.
Ever visit a spoil island created by the Corp of Engineers? Yes, huge sand piles that did not exist before the corp threw them up there and yes birds use them as nesting sites, many different species. So while we humans are being villified as the destroyers of habitat we are and have been, albiet, incidental, creating tons of habitat that was not available before. So to say the habitat is gone forever or dwindling is only partially true.

My 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.