Thread: Kerr lake Walleye

Default Kerr lake Walleye

Headed to kerr lake in May to do some camping/fishing. Was wondering what my best options are for catching some walleye at kerr lake, I heard the dam area is a good place to start, would I have better luck driving to gaston? or does kerr have a good amount of walleye? any help would be appreciated.

Very few walleye in Kerr, not really a whole lot in Gaston either, but that would be your best shot. Dam to Steel Bridge is what I always hear. I'd love to see some reports on them, but your odds are a lot better for bass, striper, and even yellow perch (on Gaston).
    1994 McKee Pulse 1700 WT with 2000 Johnson 115 - For Sale

Gaston would be the best choice. I plan to get after them myself this year. Try trolling broken back rapallas or spinner rigs with a nightcrawler.... But the key will be to get them deep!

Thanks for the advice fellas, I have heard that gaston holds walleye fairly well, so I figured since the two bodies of water were connected there might be a good chance that kerr would have some walleye. Theredboat, I use the same methods you mentioned back in the Midwest with some pretty good results, I think that would be a good place to start. I'll make sure to report any success.

When they pull water into Gaston (as they have been doing quite a bit lately), they pull it off the bottom of Kerr Lake. This keeps the water in Gaston a few degrees cooler than Kerr (particularly on the upper end of the Gaston), which makes for a better walleye fishery. Even still, I only know of one guy who catches walleye out there with any sort of consistency, so I don't think there are a ton of them. Let us know how ya do. I would like to catch one myself...I hear they are excellent tablefare. Good luck
    gambusia, KC_Angler, and papadave like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wtjordan84 View Post
    When they pull water into Gaston (as they have been doing quite a bit lately), they pull it off the bottom of Kerr Lake. This keeps the water in Gaston a few degrees cooler than Kerr (particularly on the upper end of the Gaston), which makes for a better walleye fishery. Even still, I only know of one guy who catches walleye out there with any sort of consistency, so I don't think there are a ton of them. Let us know how ya do. I would like to catch one myself...I hear they are excellent tablefare. Good luck
    In my opinion they are the best tasting freshwater fish. I am going to try several methods on both kerr and gaston, but I think my best chance will be at nightime in shallow water. I read a report that they were catchable around this time between interstate 85 and US-1, walleye or no walleye, I will still post what I have tried and where.
    BlueFoxKiller, papadave, and wtjordan84 like this.

My tourny partner fished a company tournament with his mom last week at Kerr. He did say someone brought a walleye in at the end of the day. Thats about the only one I have heard of out of Kerr.
    KC_Angler, and papadave like this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

I heard that Roanoke Rapids Lake had a better population of walleye than Kerr or Gaston. Might be worth a shot there.
    KC_Angler likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by driver View Post
    I heard that Roanoke Rapids Lake had a better population of walleye than Kerr or Gaston. Might be worth a shot there.
    Thanks for the info, I plan on fishing Kerr and Gaston, if that fails, I'll be heading towards Roanoke Rapids as a last resort, as it will be the furthest from my campsite.

According to the VA wildlife folks, and reports from some folks in my area, the Stauton river below the Leesville dam has a reasonable population of walleye and there is a reported run up the river in late Feb.(which suggests that there are a few in Buggs). Like Neilslure says there are rare reports of them being caught in Kerr. Reports are more frequent in Gaston above US1 but it still not that frequent.

Kerr regularly produces some of the biggest crappie in the state, a pending world record cat was caught there last year, the striper are still plentiful and fairly easy to hook and even though they are suffering there are plenty of LM to be caught. There are also a lot of gar, carp, white perch, yellow perch and sunfish............... JMO but if you're going to spend time on Buggs your time might be better spent chasing those species.

There are several good walleye fisheries in Western NC and Southwestern VA and most have great camping facilities.................
    BlueFoxKiller likes this.

Red X Angler
    "And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise." Luke 6:31

If anyone catches one in Kerr, please post a pic, I would like to see it!
    papadave likes this.

Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    US Armed Services Veteran

A couple of years ago somebody stated on NCAngler that in Kerr Lake, the walleye would be below the stripers. Further stated that was the reason few walleye were caught; that anglers were fishing too high and happily catching stripers instead. Friiend of mine was told at a bait shop in Western NC (Lake Fontana I think) many years ago that the walleye were 80 feet deep and 10 feet off the bank. He couldn't come to grips with that concept and and fished 10 feet deep 80 feet off the bank without success. The most important factor to remember is that Walleye's "wall" eyes are sensitive to light. They only come to the shallows to feed at night and go deep during the day to avoid bright light. That sensitivity also provides them with an an advantage; they can see better than many other fish in deep water. If you want to catch Walleye during the day, fish for the deepest fish on the finder.
    mrpossumtail, and Topsail Angler like this.

All men are equal before fish - Herbert Hoover
    Red X Angler

Quote Originally Posted by KC_Angler View Post
    Thanks for the info, I plan on fishing Kerr and Gaston, if that fails, I'll be heading towards Roanoke Rapids as a last resort, as it will be the furthest from my campsite.
    I have fished for lake Walleyes only once with my brother in law who was a Walleye expert. Fishing for them was as interesting as watching grass grow. We trolled slooowwww and the fish barely touch the lures. Once the nibble or tap is detected, one must give it all to set the hook with a stout rod. The day I went my BIL caught 6 while no one else in the boat ever detected a strike. I hope you will have better luck than I did

Quote Originally Posted by mrpossumtail View Post
    I have fished for lake Walleyes only once with my brother in law who was a Walleye expert. Fishing for them was as interesting as watching grass grow. We trolled slooowwww and the fish barely touch the lures. Once the nibble or tap is detected, one must give it all to set the hook with a stout rod. The day I went my BIL caught 6 while no one else in the boat ever detected a strike. I hope you will have better luck than I did
    lol, I agree walleye fishing can sometimes be boring. I have fished for them all the time in the Midwest and they are very finicky fish, and can be tough to catch. Thrill of the hunt and actually figuring out some kind of pattern keeps me going after these elusive fish.