Thread: Blue crabs safe to eat after dead???

Default Blue crabs safe to eat after dead???

I caught about 10 blue crabs at lake matamuskeet last night and threw them in a cooler with ice. I got home around 6am and took a nap untill now. The crabs are all dead now but have been on ice.

Would you eat them?

Yes, I use to catch blue crabs on a Thursday night, leave them in a cooler and get home Friday night after work.... So Saturday they get finally get eaten.

But putting them on ice will usually already kill them and sometimes their meat will shrink after being iced.
    catfish_hunter likes this.

well i boiled them badboys and gonna eat them for lunch about to find out lol thanks for the quik reply...

blue crabs safe to eat after dead??? lol hahahha all i can say is id like to see you try to take a bite while their alive!!! hahahahahahhah

Pfleuger President.....Gander Mtn. GSX.....Perception Pescador 12

we'll everyone i've ever talked to said not too cook a dead crab lol, You know what i mean. The smell of old bay lingers in the house I'll let ya know how i feel in a few hours ****.

haha i was just kidding around man, hope they are good man good luck

Pfleuger President.....Gander Mtn. GSX.....Perception Pescador 12

I was born and raised in MD, so I've caught and eaten blue crabs my whole life, and still do, when I go back to MD to visit every year. Blue crabs will taste the best if cooked alive, but they can still be eaten and taste good after they've died, as long as you ice them down, they are good for 24-36 hours max. If you don't ice them down, then I wouldn't eat any that were dead for more than a couple hours, especially if they were in the sun, or in the nasty water at the bottom of a bucket or cooler etc. Some ppl claim that soon after they die, their body releases a hormone or chemical that makes them spoil or taste bad. But it's like all seafood, the fresher, the better. We usually have 2 or 3 dead ones at the bottom of our bushel basket, but as long as we get them into a steamer, within a couple hours, you can't tell them apart from the ones that were cooked alive. But cooking them alive and fresh will yield a bigger amount of meat, that also taste better, versus cooking dead ones that have been on ice for 24 hours! Hope this helps for future reference!

Red X Angler

thanks guys, my grandmother used to pick crab for a living down in FL, says she's never eatin anything but crabs that were cooked live. I atleast know these crabs were fresh and were on ice before they died. I had them in a cooler of water while fishing then filled it up with ice when we left around 3:30this morning.

They are currently cooling and looking delicious lol...

Cooling???? Why haven't you eaten them?

lol they were tastey, you have to let a crab cool for a bit so the meat will lump up and make it easier to pick... or so my grama says... I'm not dead yet so they must have been fine.

I guess you need to go to the Eastern Shore and tell all them Chesapeake Crab Restaurants they been doing it wrong all these years

Were they dead or hybernating? If they could get off the ice at all they will last a couple of days and will revive when back in air temperatures. I try to put something down on the ice so they won't get as cold. When possible we keep them in the vegetable bin in the refridge up to a couple of days to get enough or save to cook. I clean them before cooking so while their out they start reviving.

Administrator
    Captains Club
    US Armed Services Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catfish_hunter View Post
    lol they were tastey, you have to let a crab cool for a bit so the meat will lump up and make it easier to pick... or so my grama says... I'm not dead yet so they must have been fine.
    I believe this to be true as well - they are easier to pick cold but nothing wrong with eating right out of the pot either. I know when we cook a bunch and have some left over we always ice down the leftover ones and pick them later.

Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

I'll flush them with water in the livewell but never keep them in water. Ice them is best- it will take them a long time to die but they do become inactive and easy to handle. Go here and search-- all your questions answered by experts...
    http://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php
    Red X Angler

I've been catching and cleaning blue crab for 12 years and I have seen "dead" blue crab make people Hella sick......

Now when I say dead , I mean they died and then were cooked much later that day or the next day.

What I have done for the past 13 years is as follows ( learned from the blue crabbers from Gloucester Virginia ):

Catch or purchase a bushel or more
    Keep them alive in a bushel basket in the water (or some other container , just as ling as they can't move around , if they can move around they will kill each other , just this past September we kept 2 bushels in a giant water cage , they had to much room and at least a bushel were dead and useless before the next day )
    When we are ready to eat them we put the bushel basket in the fridge or ice them down
    Once they go to sleep , we take them out and peel off the back shell and remove all the nasty parts ( gills , etc etc )
    Then we cut the crabs in half , season with old bay , and steam in a water vinegar beer mixture .....

Best tasting crabs ever ! Once the crabs are killed and cleaned the halves can be iced for a day or two and still taste great steamed

That's my 2 cents
    JTruckner likes this.