Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pond Fishing Gear

Default Pond Fishing Gear

Dear friends,

I do most of my fishing on mountain trout streams, but I also enjoy taking the occasional afternoon to fish a local farm pond for bass and bream. In the past, I have just used an inexpensive spinning combo, but I am aware that one rod and reel cannot adequately cover all of my needs.

I want to be able to fish everything from small panfish lures up to Texas-rigged worms and jigs, as well as live bait. I fish from shore, so I obviously can't carry fifteen rods with me. My question is this: Which rod/reel/line combos do I really need to be able to do all of those things well without having too much to lug around?

I would really appreciate specific recommendations about rod length, power and action, baitcasting vs. spinning, gear ratio, line type and weight, etc. I would also appreciate recommendations of specific models that offer good quality without being too expensive. I drive a small car, so I need rods that break down into at least two pieces.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Best wishes,
    Tandemfly
    "Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau.

If you wanna keep things pretty cheap but still get good production and good quality i'd consider the following:

- for bream/crappie i would go with a shimano sienna 2500 model with a 6' medium light 2pc ugly stik and 6lb fluorocarbon
    - for bass get ya a BPS graphite trigger rod medium heavy 6'6 or 7' 2pc with an abu garcia silvermax OR the blackmax combo they sell at walmart but i don't think that rod is 2pc and either 12lb fluoro or some braid based on preference.
    - for live bait hit up walmart for a shakespeare tiger spinning combo (they're like $20 and i have one that's lasted since I was 9, i'm 21 now)
    bwguffey, and OptiMystic like this.

2014 Freshwater Fish Total: 115 Bass: 51 Bass over 5lb: 6 Biggest: 9lb 4oz bass
    2014 Saltwater Fish Total: 50 Biggest: 4# grunt

Quote Originally Posted by Tandemfly View Post
    Dear friends,

I do most of my fishing on mountain trout streams, but I also enjoy taking the occasional afternoon to fish a local farm pond for bass and bream. In the past, I have just used an inexpensive spinning combo, but I am aware that one rod and reel cannot adequately cover all of my needs.

I want to be able to fish everything from small panfish lures up to Texas-rigged worms and jigs, as well as live bait. I fish from shore, so I obviously can't carry fifteen rods with me. My question is this: Which rod/reel/line combos do I really need to be able to do all of those things well without having too much to lug around?

I would really appreciate specific recommendations about rod length, power and action, baitcasting vs. spinning, gear ratio, line type and weight, etc. I would also appreciate recommendations of specific models that offer good quality without being too expensive. I drive a small car, so I need rods that break down into at least two pieces.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Best wishes,
    Tandemfly
    when i go out i got two or three rods, i rig them before going so im ready to rock and roll when i see the water, one rod rigged with the plastic bait of choice, one with a spinnerbait and one with a crankbait, medium action rods will handle most fish, you could take two rods and rig each of them with whatever you want, just makes it easier to switch tactics without havin to cut your line and retie every time
    mookie, and OptiMystic like this.

Pfleuger President.....Gander Mtn. GSX.....Perception Pescador 12

a good old medium action 2pc uglystik spinning combo is a real good place to start (i dont endorse wallyworld, but they got 'em)
    you might want to pick up a ultralight spin combo. ultralights can catch big fish also and are a whole lot easier to cast all day
    NCStateFisher, and OptiMystic like this.

They gonna burn a honeysuckle when I die

Kinda following up on Mookie and NCStateFisher's ideas, IMO, if you get an ugly stick combo or similar and nothing else for now, then go with a light combo with 8# line. Very few fish in a pond will cause you trouble that 8# can't handle and it will still do an okay job with light lures (like my go-to pond lures - light plastic grub jigs). If you go with 2 combos, then I would get a UL with 4# test and a medium spin combo with 12# (this is actually exactly what I usually do when I use more than one). While a light rod will cast a small lure fairly well, you will get more range, better accuracy and feel (resulting in more hooksets) with the UL. Of course, when you hook something large on it things do get interesting. If you add a 3rd (so Wademaster will be happy ), it should probably be a medium/heavy baitcaster with 20# line for hoisting larger bass and cats out of the weeds.
    wademaster likes this.

-Andy ​X

How do you get the small fish to bite the smaller rig and bigger fish on the bigger rig?

Red X Angler
    Guide 119 Camo

bait choice lol but ya never know what may bite!

I generally throw a small twisty tail grub behind a tiny lead head on the UL. Sometimes I use a small beetle spin or spinner or... Probably 80% of the fish that hit it are panfish. Another 15% are peanut bass. The other 5% can make life really interesting. Sometimes I do go looking for trouble and throw a finesse worm also.
    NCStateFisher likes this.

-Andy ​X

Cabelas has a very nice rod that has done wll with me, and it is a very universal rod. It is the Tourney Trail. Sells for $64, but I am waiting for them to put them on sale again. Sometimes you can get them for half price, but haven't seen them on sale for a while now. I have the TTS 703-2, 4 to 10 lb test, 1/8 to 5/8 lures. Fantastic rod IM 7 graphite. I can cast some very light weight lures on this rod. I nuse it for salt and fresh water. Haven't had a problem using it in the salt. I wash it down every time I use it in salt. It was reccomended to me by papdave on ncangler. Wish I had gotten at least 2 of them when I ordered. Don't have a particular reel to reccommend, but you'll get a lot of advice from others.
    RED X ANGLER

For spinner baits, I like the Strike King Mini King. It is a medium size lure, but I have caught a lot of different species of fish on it. Used to cost $1.48 at Wally World a long while back, but they have gone up significantly at WW now. They're still a good value. If you want to cast tiny spinners, you'll need a light to ultra lite rod.
    wademaster likes this.

RED X ANGLER

As far as lures, if you get a light/UL rod, there is one simple bait I have already mentioned that catches more for me out of ponds than anything else:

Small twisty tail grubs. The occasional larger fish will hit them also. One of my boys recently caught a 20" bass on one and I have caught several over a pound, but their primary target is panfish.
    NCStateFisher, and RouseD like this.

-Andy ​X

i've gotten into fishing only big baits for bass, and spinners and some big topwater lures; every once in a while i still catch a small bass on those big plastics but not near as much as i used to using smaller lures; and big bass will hit smaller stuff too; but using smaller baits will equal smaller fish as a whole; larger baits will bring larger fish as a whole; but anything can happen when fishing; i catch a lot less bess numbers now but quality of fish has skyrocketed; so remember that when fishing, you can use a small to medium sized lure or plastic bait and catch lots of fish and a good variety of fish; but bigger seems to make more memories for me; good luck
    OptiMystic, and RouseD like this.

Agree, kinda. When I use 2 rods, my second is beefier with a larger lure or bait and the fish caught on it are usually larger. But some of my most memorable catches have been medium to large sized fish that I managed to land on the UL. I am as bad as my kids about wanting to catch something - anything - every now and then. You "big bass only" guys have more perseverance than I ever will.

And then there are the muskie fisherman. I think the average is around 40 hours per fish. They will talk about a swirl for weeks...
    NCStateFisher, and RouseD like this.

-Andy ​X

being a bigger bass only guy is definitely not the most fun in the world when they aren't hitting.... i've nearly thrown my rod in the water a few times this year it's been tough from the bank for me haha
    wademaster likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NCStateFisher View Post
    being a bigger bass only guy is definitely not the most fun in the world when they aren't hitting.... i've nearly thrown my rod in the water a few times this year it's been tough from the bank for me haha
    i agree man, gets to be aggravating when nothing is going on; but when that one hits it thats bigger than any other one you've ever caught it makes all those long fishless days well worth it; makes victory that much sweeter
    OptiMystic likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast