Thread: Yadkin in Clemmons

Default Yadkin in Clemmons

Well I decided to give the Yadkin another shot instead of Kernersville Lake. Needless to say I lose again. I only went for a couple hours and ended up doing more wandering around scouting the woods near the shore. I got some nightcrawlers for one pole and tried some different artificials with another, but seemed to catch nothing but underwater logs and other wood. I'm beginning to feel like giving up on it. Current wouldnt let the worm settle on the bottom and never got a bite. I dont know what I'm doing wrong. Ive never fished a river with this type of current so any pointers would be a great help. Do I need a saltwater weight? Or is the Clemmons access just not a good spot on this river? Oh well, a few hours casting is better than work I guess.

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

bigger sinker i'd say; also, you can look on some maps and find other yadkin river accesses; there are fish there, no doubt

Redington Crosswater 6wt.....Perception Pescador 12

How much bigger? Like 4oz type bigger? Whats the best rig? I just had an egg sinker pinched with a split shot, about 10-12 inches up the line. What water depths was I looking at? I cant seem to find ANY info on the river in terms of whats where. Much less how to fish it.

I fished that same spot, with the same results. Lots of current, shallow water, and no fish.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

I have been primarily a river fisherman for years. Before I got a canoe, and later, a kayak, I used to wade. The last time I just bank fished much was when I was a teen. In fact, a little shad fishing this spring was the first river bank fishing I had done in decades. Wading will allow you to access much more of the river. Whether or wading or still fishing, though, I think a couple of common denominators apply. You usually want to find places that have a little more depth relative to the other water in the area and places where there are current breaks. River fish often let the river bring their food to them like a conveyor belt, but they won't set up in the middle of the current and fight it for long periods of time. Even when actively feeding in current, they will set up behind a break and dart out into the current to grab an offering. If you are willing to fish for panfish, shoreline cover with moderate to minimal current will often harbor the fun, aggressive redbreast sunfish. I haven't done much cat fishing, but I suspect that depth and structure/cover would be key to them as well.

If you are willing to wade, I would suggest three things for safety and ease of wading: (1) Shoes that have some sort of slip resistant bottom (2) a wading staff (homemade ones from broom handles are just fine) and perhaps most importantly, (3) a PFD that you would wear whenever in the river, even when it's shallow.
    mrpossumtail likes this.

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    How much bigger? Like 4oz type bigger? Whats the best rig? I just had an egg sinker pinched with a split shot, about 10-12 inches up the line. What water depths was I looking at? I cant seem to find ANY info on the river in terms of whats where. Much less how to fish it.
    if the current is strong enough to need anything close to a 4oz then i'd def find another spot; wading is fun too; i do quite a bit of it

Redington Crosswater 6wt.....Perception Pescador 12

Wadings not for me... I'd either sink in the mud like a brontasaurus in a tar pit, or I'd slip on the rocks. The fact that they don't make affordable waders in my size will also influence my decision.

That might explain why I have no luck, ever, fishing rivers. I'm trying from the bank.

Looks like I stick to the lakes if I want to bank fish.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Used kayaks are much more available than they used to be. You might be able to save up for one pretty quickly. It opens up a lot more river.
    wademaster likes this.

Here's a good site for info on the Yadkin + conservation + access points: [good people run the organization].
    http://yadkinriverkeeper.org/content/river-access

The other guys are right, you need to find some slack water vs fishing that fast current. Try the Dinkins Bottom area for some catfish. Good luck.
    wademaster likes this.