Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One big honking bluegill

Yeah, the elongated shape was what had me thinking bass in the water. My bass is about 90% spots, which generally are skinnier that the LMB, and I thought at first this was a LMB. But the fins weren't anything like a bass when I got it out of the water, and with that ear opening, I just called it a bluegill.

From reading the NC wildlife profile, these guys are apparently more common in the mountains and in streams than in lakes. This was actually caught in the Lake Norman Park lake, which is a dammed off section of a feeder creek, making it's own 20-30 acre pond/lake, separated from Lake Norman by about a 12' dam.. (best guess from memory). It wasn't a crappie, but it was fun to catch, and it was big enough (looks small in photo, but I was standing above it shooting downward (pic should be rotated 90 degrees)... need to learn to take pics that make fish look bigger, not smaller!) that I thought it might be worth a post.
    dbeam, RouseD, and wademaster like this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

biglenr,I don't think anyone has this one right yet.It's a warmouth,and a really big one.the shape and size of the mouth and the body length/width are similar in green sunfish and warmouth.The giveaway is the size,margin and color of the "ear"(opercular flap) and the rays radiating from the eye.A green sunfish would always have some orange borders on the fins.Having said that ,color is not the most reliable clue since it can change by sex,lake,season,water clarity and mood of the fish.Some things can't change ...like fin shapes,ear flaps,etc.

Default One big honking bluegill

Wade master here's the one I was referring to-

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45368

Oops. Looks like you saw it already. I don't think I know how to delete this on tapatalk.

Www.hardcorekayakfishing.com
    Them Hardcore boys
    wademaster likes this.

"Them Hardcore boys"

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Not a warmouth. Looks nothin like one IMO. Doesn't even resemble a warmouth IMO.

Sorry that wademaster disagrees but it looks a lot like a warmouth.

Large mouth, 10 dorsal spines, 3 anal spines, tiger striping on gill plate. The fish in the photo bears a very good likeness to the artist rendering of a warmouth or goggle eye in Charles Manooch's "Fishes of the Southeastern United States" 2nd Ed. page 69, or the green sunfish on page 65. At first glance it looked like my favorite, the roanoke,but counting spines let me see differently. Very nice specimen.
    Red X Angler
    Tight lines and screaming drags to all!

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Truthfully tons of the sunfish families interbreed and lots of times it's not just "one" type of fish. Never really know what all could be mixed in there. Nice fish either way. Love catching big slabs of any type on my ultralite no matter what the technical term. Good fishing to everyone.

That's what I was about to say.

I'm just happy to have caught it on an ultra light. Whether a war mouth or a green sunfish, or even as my initial bad id of a bluegill, it is a nice sized fish, and it was a lot of fun to catch.

Now someone else needs to get over the the LKN state park lake and catch it and get the real citation for it.
    Striperk9, and wademaster like this.

Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    That's what I was about to say.

I'm just happy to have caught it on an ultra light. Whether a war mouth or a green sunfish, or even as my initial bad id of a bluegill, it is a nice sized fish, and it was a lot of fun to catch.

Now someone else needs to get over the the LKN state park lake and catch it and get the real citation for it.
    Your not interested in getting the citation? Or did you just not get the info ?

Nope, no interest.

It's just a piece of paper. I'm secure in my own knowledge of what I've caught, and I haven't applied for any of the citations for which I'd be eligible.
    wademaster likes this.

Red X Angler

Red X Angler
    Sponsor
    Captains Club
    Kayak Angler

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    Nope, no interest.

It's just a piece of paper. I'm secure in my own knowledge of what I've caught, and I haven't applied for any of the citations for which I'd be eligible.
    I know what you mean. I have only one that I sent in for. Eligible for several more though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12