NC Angler Forums banner

NC deer hunting minimum caliber?

59K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Papa-t 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm not interested in a debate on merits but I know plenty of the anglers here are hunters too.

I did have a nice 308 at one time that was meant for deer just not got around to it and sold the gun. I was just looking at potential new centerfires and it occurred to me that I may not know the regs.

I always thought it had to be "bigger than .22" like .243 and up. I looked at some forums of varying ages and that really confused me. I looked at the digest and am still not sure! I should say RIFLE caliber minimum.

So what is it?

Them Hardcore boys

#4 ·
I couldn't find that there was one in black and white. Just kinda hard to believe. In my head or because of whatever ive heard over the years I'm thinking .243 and up.
Some states not only have minimums but require certain bullet types, weights and case lengths and on and on. I couldn't believe ours is that simple and wide open.
SO many variables/opinions when it comes to calibers. I enjoy talking about that part of it just don't want to start any fussing about it.

Www.hardcorekayakfishing.com
Them Hardcore boys

#11 ·
The main thing I think to consider is where you will be hunting.
If you are restricted to brushy areas nothing wrong with slug shotgun or fat caliber rifles.
If you hunt area's with longer shot potential then whatever your preference.
I use a 270 but most my shots are under 50 yards.

#12 ·
Lots of great options out there. I have a .243, .270 and a 7mm Mag. When I usually head out the door I grab my trusty .243. I've had it about 40 years and harvested loads of deer with it. (Remington 760 pump) I have taken a couple of deer with a .22 rim fire. I was squirrel hunting and a doe walked right up to me. I put a well placed bullet between the eyes and it was DRT. Done a couple like that.

#14 ·
I think an experienced shooter knows what he can do within a certain degree of error. Aka judgement.
I'm surprised though that there isn't a limit and that judgement is left to the hunter.
I will spill the beans- what got me thinking on it is a T/C Encore in .223. Of course part of the attraction is that I can add barrels for practically every caliber out there so that could change. I like single shots and put accuracy over caliber every time. My NEF .17 has almost cut a few squirrels in 1/2.
So with that gun- the .223- ( and the 4-16 x 50 mil dot on it) I see alot of potential use. Including deer with well placed shot and soft nose.

Www.hardcorekayakfishing.com
Them Hardcore boys

#20 ·
I have said it befor,I use many difernt typs of rifels.243 good for close & long rang,3006 good for close & 100yds,270 good for close xtra long rang.3030 win,leaver actin best brush gun around.7mm mag xtra long rang,I have a 22 long rifel & a 22 mag.There is no way i would use a 22 or 22mag for deer.We have to be a responsable hunter.I was tought to shoot long rang.I"m very good at it.And taking a chance to maim a deer is not being a good hunter.To be a hunter stelp up and be one.Use the wright cal"bullet to get the job done.

#23 ·
I hunt all privet land.Frome Asheboro to Rocksboro and in between.Have you ever took a deer that has done been shoot by any low cilaber .I have,Deer has gangreen.Can hardly walk.I or some one I know has to kill one on count of that every year.If I or one of my friends find or have to kill anouther ,I"ll post you a pic of it.It will make you sick!!!Meat brown and smells bad All kind of yellow and green stuff running out of it.
I do bow hunt as well.

#24 ·
I understand your point, i killed a deer a year or two ago that had a 22 bullet mushroomed right close to his man parts. He was super healthy and no bad looking meat. What you're describing happens often, but not nearly all instances are with low caliber weapons. Bows, muzzleloaders, and rifles of all calibers are all responsible for bad and hasty shots, missing limbs, and gut shots. Responsibility is the #1 key to taking game safely and ethically.

#25 ·
I live in the real world.Every action has a counter reaction.True every hunter out htere has maid a bad shoot.I have ,even this year,Shoot a buck with 243 and did not see buttion head on outher side.But facts are facts!!! When you pull the trigger you only have a 50-50 chance of hitting the mark.You never know,as you pull the trigger deer could move or anything.There are so many things that can and will go wrong.I do a lot of long rang shooting year around.I pass on a lot of shots. Why even think of useing a low cilaber.If you get the deer it"s luck. Yes I have maid bad shoots with a bow years ago.But have allways did the right thing.Track it down and kill it. Spent all night in woods one time tracking deer.I did kill the deer.It is our wright to hunt ,But we have to be true at it.Low cilaber guns don"t get the job done Yes I do black poweder as well,50 cal

#28 · (Edited)
Brenardo ,you under stand what I"m saying.You 300mag me 243-3030-3006-270-7mm,We are the real world.We have something they do not!!! A quick back up shoot,that gets the job done.We don"t mame deer,22 -22mags and smaller do.You have one shoot no good back up shoot. Hay Hay Brenardo Tell you what I"ll do.I"ll tread you a new 22mag for your 300mag.To deer hunt with.wanta wanta treaid One more thing,even though the 243 is a good deer gun,but a lot of the time you have to put a back up round in the deer.Any one that uses one will tell you that.All ways be ready to do that

#29 ·
If you have nothing but a 50/50 chance at a shot then you probably shouldn't take it. Also, I've used a 243 for close to 15 years now, no problems period, and so has my brother and several other close friends. One other thing, just because another hunter doesn't use your choice of rifle caliber doesn't mean that they maim deer automatically.