Thread: Neuse Striper fishing

Default Neuse Striper fishing

When do the Striper start running upriver around the Maple Cypress boat landing? Will they be with the shad or after? Also whats the chance of catching some Striper shore fishing a bottom rig with cut shad?

i've never really heard of a hot striper bite at maple cypress, but i'm sure its happened before. i really don't know how far they run up the neuse because of the dams, but my friend has caught juveniles up near turkey quarter, so they must move up near there to spawn.. I know they are stacked around structure right now in the main river. It's a good time to get on them.
    The shad run kicks off at different times each year, depending on weather and water temps. Usually starts late january or around valentine's day and peaks in march..then i think that's pretty much done by late april.
    I'm sure your chances of catching a striper with cut bait right now not as good as they were earlier in the season. They are hanging around pilings and structure, ambushing prey swept by the current. Try artificials, or live eels.
    RouseD likes this.

Red X Angler

Stripers will start running sometime, depending on weather and water levels in the river, around March time frame. They follow a few weeks behind the shad. You can catch a shad, cut it up and toss it out on a bottom rig and catch rock and catfish. Stripers and shad go all the way to Raleigh on the Neuse.
    RouseD likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Yeah thats what I thought. Was hoping it was earlier than that so I would have something good to fish for in these cold winter months...

There are plenty of striper around new bern. Fish off the downtown railroad tressel. I see guys bottom fishing and throwing artificial there All the time.
    red x ​anglers

Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    US Armed Services
    Blog Entries

Default Neuse Striper fishing

If you want to soak some bait the best you can use is soft shell crabs quartered up and fishing around the train bridge.
    wademaster likes this.

-Die Hard- Red X Angler
    Vegetarian-"Indian for Really bad Fisherman"

Yeah should fish there more often. I was kinda more just thinking when the striper make their spawning run upriver past new bern aways.