Thread: Mayo Lake, Person County

Default Mayo Lake, Person County

Mayo Lake Park Website

Mayo Lake is a Progress Energy owned cooling reservoir located in north eastern Person County.

CLICK HERE for directions or

From intersection of NC501 and NC49 in Roxboro, travel NC49 north for 9.0 miles. Turn left on SR1515(Neals Store Rd), and go 1.0mi into area.

Default Re: Mayo Lake, Person County

Didnt even know about that one! Cooling reservior hmmmmm... Sounds like good winter fishery to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by sundrop View Post
    Didnt even know about that one! Cooling reservior hmmmmm... Sounds like good winter fishery to me!!

Its a nice quiet lake too.

Blog Entries

What species of fish are stocked there? I have a friend who owns a cottage on the lake and want to learn the spots and type of fishing to use there.

I know there is Large Mouths, Catfish, Crappie, and Perch. I donno what else. I am just getting back into the fishing scene so I have not fished there in years. There are a lot of points and good dropoffs. Can't help much on the honey holes.

Glad to see a post on this lake. I am going camping there the weekend of the 29th. I will have to let you all know how it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg Tyed View Post
    Glad to see a post on this lake. I am going camping there the weekend of the 29th. I will have to let you all know how it was.
    While I have not camped there it does appear to be a decent campground. I am about 15 miles from this lake.

Blog Entries

My friend said the water is very clear and fairly deep. Any ideas on the techniques best used for this lake?

I am guessing with the clearer water the fish will be a bit more color selective. Easier to spook, and hang closer to cover.