NC Angler Forums banner

2013 Carolina River Fishing Rodeo

12K views 82 replies 20 participants last post by  yakdevil 
#1 ·
River fishers are a different breed. We embrace the adventure that comes with floating a remote river...lakes barely peak our interest. We often find ourselves submersed knee deep, casting along deep shoals...wading shoes are a must. We fish in all seasons, often dragging over shallow, rocky shoals and low-water sand bars all summer long...pedal boats need not apply. We don't let obstacles like rapids get in the way of our goals...better strap on your PFD and strap down your gear. And our favorite sounds are those made only by the nature that surrounds us...and of course, peeling drag.

This year we hope to re-kindle a tradition in the Carolinas - the River Fishing Rodeo. This event was once an annual occurrence that brought together river fishers from not just the Carolinas, but from across the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic. The Rodeo is a multi-day camping, fishing and story-telling affair where anglers can hit the river during the day and swap fish tales around the campfire in the evening. It is meant to be a laid back, relaxing event for folks of like mind to visit, learn, share and have fun.

The 2013 Rodeo will be held along the banks of the Broad River near Gaffney, South Carolina. This location is within 30-40 minutes of a number of rivers and creeks that offer fantastic fishing opportunities for largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass, and other species. The event will be held May 30[SUP]th[/SUP]-June 2nd. A $5 per night fee will be charged and will cover camping, campground patrols, bathrooms and insurance. If you plan to just drop in for the day to fish and hangout, we ask that you would cover the cost of the event by paying a small day use fee of $3-$5 depending upon the visit. Food and beverages will be the responsibility of the individual, but if there is interest we can try and pull together for a group meal on Friday and/or Saturday evenings.

A variety of fishing opportunities will be available on all days - ranging from beginner level to hardcore river fisher. Significant others, children and families are all encouraged to attend. There will be a lot of very experienced, talented river fishers present who are willing to share their knowledge with anyone interested. So if just starting out in the sport, this is a great event to attend.

Although details of the event will be publicized in a number of different forums and questions will be answered in each, the official planning thread will be housed at NCangler.com (under the “Meet and Greet” section), which is free to join. The thread will include evolving details of the event and an RSVP list.

Feel free to join in the conversation here! Please PM/email egboyd (foothillsangler@gmail.com), yakdevil (drew@manpoweredfishing.com) or KMbassfisherman (livingwateroutfitters@gmail.com) with any questions you may have.

See less See more
#3 ·
How about we start an RSVP list, below...

Attendees:
egboyd (Thursday-Sunday)
yakdevil (Friday-Sunday)
Tread (Thursday-Sunday)
TheDude (Saturday-Sunday)
luckyone_27105 (Friday-Sunday)
KMbassfisherman (Friday-Sunday)

Probables:
ManiYak
Discovery17

#10 ·
Sounds like a fun weekend.
Will the camping setup just for tents or popups & campers too.
What class of water could we expect to navigate? May want to bring my son (16), but new to kayaking.

Brian
This is a great river for a beginning kayak fisherman! If you are going to bring a pop-up let us know because we will need to limit the number of pop-ups down there due to need for parking.

#12 ·
Also, this is not a "campground" that we are camping at. It is the private property of the Cherokee County Parks and Recreation. They have been kind enough to allow us to use there riverfront property for this event. They have asked that we do not have alcohol on their property. Due to the river front location of this property and the access to many great floats this was a no brainer for me. I ask that you please respect the wishes of the Cherokee Parks and Rec and refrain from alcohol use on the property so that they would be inclined to allow future events such as this one. Thanks!

#22 ·
We have a definite place to camp but we are checking into 1 other option. The spot we have right now is in boiling Springs nc. This is just a fee minutes off the river and we can easily get to the put in and take out of the original float plan. There is also the greenway to wade and fish if you don't have a yak. The float from hwy 18 to Cherokee ford recreation park is in sc so be sure to have sc license. If you plan on coming could you let us know so we can give the property owner a number to expect and so we know how many porta jons he needs to bring. I will start a list on this post and update as necessary.

1.kmbassfisherman
2. Carolinamike
3. Catawba
4. Bumblebee178 (maybe)
5. Phantom (maybe)
6. Yakdevil +1
7. Luckyone
8. Tread
9. Mookie (day trip)
10. Egboyd

#23 ·
Matt and I are veterans of Freeman Park! This is sounding like an adventure. I'll be down Friday night. I don't think there is a rule against setting a participant limit based on what the venue can accommodate. You really only need half what you're estimating for a good rodeo.

#27 ·
I fish the Broad at the green way a few times a year, its a hike from me, and I always have to bribe the wife ;) but I will try to make it down there on the Sat. Chances are I would just wade if I come... But you can add me to the probable list..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.