Thread: High Rock Lake Report 3-9-12

Default High Rock Lake Report 3-9-12

Fished High Rock today, all day, like I have the last 3 days. Have yet to even see a fish. Can't even get a bite. Tried it all. Water temps around 48-51 and 55 in the backs of creeks, shallow. Threw a jerk bait, shad rap, crank bait, shakey head, spinner bait, and a jig. Fished shallow brush, piers, steep rocky banks, shallow stumps, points, bridges. Went everywhere I could think they should be this time of year, still nothing. Been all over the lake looking for something that had more than a 2 inch visibility and couldn't find any clearer water. Spent most of my time in swearing creek and crane creek. Starting to get pretty ridiculous. Gonna head back out in the morning to see what happens. If anyone has had any success recently it would be nice to hear about it.
    jimbob1 likes this.

It was the same on Badin too. We had a club tournament and one fish won the tournament. Only two fish were weighed in.
    I was proud to catch two short fish on a crankster. Both fish were on the back hook and both fish fell off in the net.
    Don't fret! the action will be here soon maybe next weekend!
    BazznHokie, and bradc6892 like this.

Not sure why the yadkin lakes did poorly this weekend. But I did hear that the tournament on Wylie saturday didn't take nearly as much weight to win as it did last weekend. weird transitional stuff going on and we might be in that "in between" mode where they don't feed, they move. Hopefully they'll be setting up camp near the banks in the coming couple weeks so we can get Spring going. it's close, but oh so far away.
    bradc6892 likes this.

Fished the Collins tournament on Jordan yesterday. It took 21 to win, 2nd was 10 lbs, 3-6 place were 6-8 lbs. Not alot of fish were brought to the scales for a 40-50 team tourny, saw more hotdogs than bass.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Fished Badin today. Same story here, stayed on fish most of the day but only managed 2 white perch. Nice day on the water though. Better days are soon coming.

Sooooo nice to hear some HONEST reports! Thanks, guys. We fished Belews hard Sat for about 8 hrs, only catching a few juveniles. We took the bait and fished Randleman today, after hearing reports of fish stacked on top of each other and practically jumping in the boat. Again we fished hard from gate opening til close: 0 ZERO Nada!!! We feel your pain and hope your predictions are correct, that a change is just around the corner!
    BroncoTwisterJim
    Red X Angler

Didn't go today, didn't see how one day was going to make any difference. Rode down to badin to check out the water color and a guy said he caught 4 all day on a #7 chartreuse shad rap on rocky points and rocky banks. A lot of people was headed back in swearing creek today I think maybe to try and catch a few early spawners. Might try and go tomorrow to see if I can get any strikes up shallow, if not gonna head to flat swamp. It has the clearest water on high rock right now.

The fish I caught on Badin were on cranks as well Saturday. 3 of them coming around the ALCOA area on a #5 shad rap in gold/black back. The other 5 were WEIRD. My partner and I were fishing in a cove near the golf course, hitting laydowns, stumps, and docks all the way back into it. Once in the back, my partner (who was on the front of the boat) was thoroughly fishing a dock with a jig up close, so I turn around and heave one of those "lets just see" casts across the back of the cove to the other rocky bank with a chartruese black KVD 1.5. Halfway back to the boat, I hit a 13 incher (grrrrr). Then proceded to catch 4 more in the same spot in the next 6 casts, all under 13. I'm thinking I randomly found a school of bucks running baitfish that I couldn't see due to the muddiness of the water. Thats IT. No more fish for either of us. So while I do feel good that I landed 8 bass, and shook another one off on the squarebill, catching 8 bass on badin and NOT ONE of them being 14 inches is something of an anomaly for that lake. Lets hope that this weekend is better. Looking to maybe hit Randleman on the upper end where the gasoline guys can't play. We'll see.
    bradc6892, and Brian B like this.

"Was thoroughly fishing a dock with a jig up close" lol he wouldn't do that would he? Lucky me I get to fish with him on Tuck next tournament. Hope there isn't many docks on that lake

Quote Originally Posted by broncotwisterjim View Post
    Sooooo nice to hear some HONEST reports! Thanks, guys. We fished Belews hard Sat for about 8 hrs, only catching a few juveniles. We took the bait and fished Randleman today, after hearing reports of fish stacked on top of each other and practically jumping in the boat. Again we fished hard from gate opening til close: 0 ZERO Nada!!! We feel your pain and hope your predictions are correct, that a change is just around the corner!
    To be fair, we had 3 fish hit us, hooked two of them but lost them both before coming boat side. The second one I actually saw take a fluke right next to the boat - was about 2.5 to 3lb by the length of it, but despite letting him run a couple seconds it was on a short line and I had to set it or pull it free. I set it, and then it pulled free anyway. Jim had one on a jig that charged straight at him and got slack enough to shake it loose.

No fish to the boat is just a rarity for me at Randleman; I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me though, at least. I hate that others didn't catch fish, but it does make me feel a little better.
    -Sam

high rock sucks right now water is pretty stained all over i've fished potts swearing crane abbotts and flat swamp...need few days of warm 60 degree weather little to no wind and no freezing temps at night...managed 2 fish in flat swamp on a megabass 110 jerkbait then switched to crappie and caught quite a few off deep brushpiles but only 12 keepers