Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waterville, NC

Default Waterville, NC

I am planning on fishing Waterville this weekend. Has anybody out there ever fished this resevoir? Is there any water in it right now?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Waterville, NC

Haven't fished there but wanted to welcome you to to NC Angler!

welcome dave
    2006 Stratos Bass Boat 115 Yamaha

Blog Entries

That's a toughie - hadn't ever heard of it and can't find it on google maps. Apparently near the NC/TN border on 40. Gambusia posted some information about that lake a couple days ago - here's the link:

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f6/wa...html#post30319

You might want to post a question on that thread or send him an email/private message if he doesn't pop up here. Maybe he knows something about that lake.

sorry, no help, but welcome!
    * With "Self regulation", comes "De-regulation". Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws * *PROUD RED X ANGLER*

NCWRC has told me there is no real access to the lake.

If you have a small portable boat you might be able to pack it in.

Neverfished there but I want to.

Everytime I see the lake from I-40 I figure there has to be big smallmouths in there.

I've fished the Pigeon River below the lake and it has plenty of 4-10" smallies plus sunfish.

I can't help you there either but welcome to the site.

Access is very limited but possible with small boats. The local guys fish it alot. The pigeon river flows into it. Not and overly clean lake since it is down stream of blue ridge papermill. But it is full of fish due to extremely low fishing pressure over the years. No one ever fished it in the past because of the mill. The river and consiqiuntly the lake are much cleaner now due to epa crackdowns over the past 20 years. Not counting this last mystery spill that they cant explain. There are lots of fish Crappie,Smallies etc. but I wouldnt eat them and the acess is so bad that even with good fishing its not hardly worth it but thats my opinon, as I said the local guys go down there a lot. I live in Waynesville NC the closest town to waterville lake which is in the I-40 TN. gorge a somewhat remote area of WNC.
    gambusia, and Jeffonc like this.

We need more fruitcakes in this world. Jimmy Buffet

I know I am bumping an old post, but I have fished Waterville alot. You can get access off exit 15 for the headwaters, or a couple miles farther down there is a spot that turns directly off the interstate that the loacls call the "salt pit". It is where the DOT stockpiles salt and gravel for whne the interstate gets icy.

You can park there and it is a walk about 1/2 mile down to the water, the fishing is usually pretty good near there.

There is one landowner who has cut a very righ ramp, somedays he will let you use it, some days not, and it better be dry and you better have a 4WD to even think about it.

If anyone wants better directions, just let me know.

I have always wanted to fish this reservoir.

Could you carry a canoe down to the lake and hand launch it?

What about larger boats?

And I have been to Exit 15 but can you float down into the lake?

Thanks

And what about the boat ramp? Does the gentleman charge a fee?

You can carry a canoe form the salt pit if you are in good shape and have some help and/or one of those little dollys with the wheels. It will be a steep climb back up for a bit with it when you are done, and it is about 1/2 mile each way.

Larger boats, the guy with the ramp is your only option. I think last I heard he wanted around $10 to launch. That and he may or may not be in the mood to let you launch on any given day.

When the lake is full, it is easy to go down and back from Exit 15. The lake starts right about there. I drove past today and it looks a few feet low, so floating down in will still be easy but coming back up may be harder depending on where the shoals start right now.

Thanks

You catch any trout of Waterville or is it just a crappie lake?

Generally that part of the Pigeon doesn't have any trout because of the stained water, but it is possible, especially in the section where Cataloochee Creek runs in.

It is mostly a smallmouth, bream and crappie fishery, with some big cats and carp and a few largemouths thrown in. But those waters are always suprising me, so who knows what you may find. Since they have stocked yellow perch in Junaluska I am sure it is just a matter of time until they end up down there as well.

Would be a good place for muskellunge too.

Remote and they could eat panfish and carp.

Hey Chief919 I've done some looking on the map and it looks like some twists and turns to get to the lake. Can you go ahead and post some directions?
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast