NC Angler Forums banner

Jackson Cuda 12 or Malibu Stealth 12 or Native Slayer 12??

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Stew-Rat 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy a fishing kayak soon and want your opinion. I don't want to spend the money on a peddle yak and don't know if I would want one anyway. Which one of these 3 yaks would you choose and why? Right now the Jackson is my pick because I love the seat. I want something stable enough for standing and would prefer my butt would be at a higher level than my feet because i'm 6' 2" and my feet go to sleep bad in my current Ocean Kayak Scupper classic and standing is NEVER an option in that yak. I mostly plan on fishing inshore saltwater but i'm sure some freshwater will be included because its closest. Any others that would be better? Keep in mind I would prefer the seat style of the Native or Jackson because I don't want by butt down below the waterline preferably.

#4 ·
If you are doing the inshore and lake fishing I would go with a 14' boat. They track better and can handle more load. My opinion will be biased but I would suggest demoing all 3 first. The slayer seat is amazing. It has more padding than the Jackson....it has no internal storage though. No 1 kayak is the best out there...only the best fit for you and your use.

#5 ·
x2...my opinion would be biased as well...but i second matt in saying that you need to demo boats before you buy. All three of these companies make great boats...try them out and see what works for you!...definitely a 14' for inshore saltwater though...don't forget a rod or two when you demo either...it's important to do more than just paddle the boat...cast from it...stand in it...etc

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! I'm sorry I didnt post this in the yak forum. Somehow I got confused... The 14 foot cuda is just a hair narrower than the 12 I believe. Does this affect stability? And what is the reason to definately get a 14 for inshore saltwater. The cuda 14 has more room for a fish cooler which is a plus! But the minus is that it sticks out of the back of my short box F-150 so far.

#7 ·
the reason for a 14 ft kayak for inshore application has to do with the amount of water that you will cover along with current and wind that you face while inshore. A 14 ft kayak is going to be much faster than a 12 ft model and track better as well. Paddling against a ripping current and/or strong wind whether in a creek or in a water way or just across a basin or flat can be a tough task in a 12 ft model. You can be much more efficient inshore with a 14' kayak vs a 12'...

the 14' Cuda is just a hair narrower than the 12 which will translate to a little less "primary" stability. The "secondary" stability is still there and as you paddle and fish more and more you will learn to trust the secondary stability of any kayak that you choose.

Demo many lengths and models and make the decision that is best for you...I hope this helps...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.