Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tents in the woods behind my house...homeless people?

Quote Originally Posted by Renorei View Post
    There's land behind my house , I think there might be homeless people living there. It makes me kind of uncomfortable.
    Sounds like a safety issue which directly involves your family. Id have to get rid of them. Its not worth the risk given the mental situations of much of the homeless population.

Twilight, there are people who post on this site that make me uncomfortable, maybe I should get rid of them. Think about what you posted, we are talking about other human beings. A girl I went to high school with was mentally ill and homeless at times, she is no longer with us and it breaks my heart every time I think of mental torture she went through. A little kindness and understanding goes a long way.

2008 Cobia 19 Bay, Candy Apple Red
    Native Ultimate 14.5. CCA Member

Quote Originally Posted by NCTribute View Post
    Speckhunter, you touched on a subject I thought of when I read the post. The land in question is not the OP's, so I guess the real owner could have called the Sheriff about people illegally riding dirt bikes and trespassing while paint balling. Funny how breaking the law with 'good intentions' is OK, but when someone stereotyped as undesirable does a similar thing the law needs to be involved. Even sadder is that the Sheriff apparently saw no problem with illegal dirt bike riding, but was upset with someone maybe just trying to survive.
    Just to be clear, the original poster had nothing to do with mini bike riding or paint ball.

That was me, in the second post, describing a similar situation. My family using land that my wife's boss owned, with her (the boss's) permission. We may have strayed a few feet onto neighoring property, but it's pretty hard to tell when the property lines aren't particularly marked well in the woods, and we tried to stay on the property where we had permission to be.

There's nothing illegal about riding a minibike or shooting paintball guns on someone's property with permission, and I'm not sure where you got the impression that we were trespassing, even with good intentions.

When I reported the tents, the women in the office all freaked. It's an all woman medical practice, and they did not want anyone living in the woods that they owned, behind their business. They were concerned with their safety. I called the Sheriff at the property owner's request.

Yeah, I'm not happy with what the deputy did. Frankly, if I knew what he would do, I might not have told the property owner. BUT, the property owner didn't want a homeless camp on their property, and she was concerned about her employees safety.

I think this is one of those situations where no matter what you do, you're potentially wrong.
    papadave, and wademaster like this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler

Default Re: Tents in the woods behind my house...homeless people?

there are people who post on this site that make me uncomfortable, maybe I should get rid of them.
    I think several people would have already dispatched me if it were so easy.

As far as kindness going a long way, this statement holds SO much weight.

Sad world we live in.

We tolerate so many things that are wrong down to the fundamental core, every single day. Yet we can't tolerate to a group of less fortunate people to just simply survive.

We all pass judgements, and we try to justify them with stereotypes. ****, I am guilty of this. Just because a man is dirty, stinks and is unshaven doesn't mean he is a POS. A lot of us end up this way everyday before we get home from work.

We can't help everybody all the time but if you can help some people some of the time it is always worth the effort.
    X

Biglenr, yep, my mistake referring to the OP. One note of clarification, might be different in NC, but just because you have permission from the land owner still does not necessarily allow dirt bike riding on power line land. The owner does own the land, but the easement document dictates what activities can and cannot occur on the land. Therefore, the power company has final say in whether dirt bikes are OK, but most specifically state this is not allowed on their websites. Know this from owning a tree farm in GA. From GA Power Company website.

Is trail riding by off-road vehicles allowed on the right-of-way?
    No. The use of off-road vehicles on the right-of-way is not permitted. This type of use causes erosion to the area, disturbances to the property owners and can destroy the access routes that the company uses to get to the poles and wires.

Default Tents in the woods behind my house...homeless people?

I agree with Biglen....dang if you do, dang if you don't...

Some of those folks are just having rough times....then again some of them wouldn't work if you walked up to them and begged them to work for ya...then there's that type that wants a handout...and when you reach to give them a couple dollars they grab your entire wallet and take off.....there's a lot of different ways to look at the situation...

Sent from my kayak....

Pfleuger President.....Gander Mtn. GSX.....Perception Pescador 12

I doubt dirt biking a little will keep those power line trucks from getting to where they need to be....

Seems that we're getting a little off course here...

Sent from my kayak....

Quote Originally Posted by wademaster View Post
    I doubt dirt biking a little will keep those power line trucks from getting to where they need to be....

Seems that we're getting a little off course here...

Sent from my kayak....
    Just adding some useful info, that might help keep someone out of trouble. Opinion versus facts, facts win every time. You might think that going 75 mph on a road is perfectly safe, but if the speed limit is 55 mph, then it does not really matter what you think or doubt.

Just adding some useful info, that might help keep someone out of trouble. Opinion versus facts, facts win every time. You might think that going 75 mph on a road is perfectly safe, but if the speed limit is 55 mph, then it does not really matter what you think or doubt.
    Ok here's you a fact then....if your using the offroad vehicle for farm use and that type of thing then it's legal....I guess all these thousands of farms are probably without power because the power companies are unable to get to where the works needed....

Sent from my kayak....

Hmmm....and you may think that making a reference to the speed limits on public highways is relative to a thread about tents in the woods....yea, you'd probably not like what I think or doubt....

Sent from my kayak....

I also never said that my kids were riding a minibike on a power company access. I said it was back there, but I didn't say we used it. 5 Acres is plenty of land for mini biking and paintball, the other land is "bonus" so that we don't disturb anyone with the noise of the engine or the screams during paintball.

Why is this turning from a discussion of "What to do with people living illegally in the woods" to "I think you do illegal stuff too"?

My contribution to this thread is over. I just didn't want people to think I was trespassing.
    Brenardo, and wademaster like this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler

Keep it up guy's and this post is going to get out of hand. Better stop while you'r ahead ...
    biglenr, papadave, and taylor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MOFISH View Post
    Keep it up guy's and this post is going to get out of hand. Better stop while you'r ahead ...
    You're correct.....

Sent from my kayak....

Well this went off-topic real quick.

Anyway I'll think it over but I'm probably going to figure out who owns the land and give them a call and let them do what they will. Like I said, I'm pretty sure it's owned by the city but I don't know that for sure. I've never seen any "private property" signs anywhere but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
    wademaster likes this.

I find it strange that some think dropping in on another's property without permission is just fine. There is an investment to consider and liability too. Why not invite them to leave the woods and move into your back yard or even your house?
    Red X Angler

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast