NC Angler Forums banner

Musky on French Broad River

22K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  gambusia 
#1 ·
The post below about the French Broad got my wheels working. A few years ago myself and another of the fishing afflicted fished the french broad several times in search of the allusive musky. We compounded the diffucultly level with little knowledge of the river and imposing a flyrods only rule on ourselves. :eek:We climbed in my canoe and set out with less than desirable results.:( I have since learned the river better and have layed the flyrod aside for now. I believe above the Asheville airport is where most of the fish come from on big noise home made crankbaits.:cool: But catching one on fly is still something I would love to pursue. As I said I have not been on the river in a few years due to a new affliction,Striper. Which I fish for almost almost exlusively with live bait for anyone thinking I am one of those mightier than thou flyrod snobs. Landlocked 40Lbs+ striper just don't happen on fly. I would still love to catch a musky on fly in the french broad. If anyone has any info on this I would love to here about it.:) Buy the way my flyrods always in the boat I only laid it a side inpursuit of FB musky.:D

#2 ·
This is strange replying to your on post, but I think the response, or lack there of, to this post speaks volumes as to what I am up against in this persuit. Very few people no anything and the one's that do dont seem to want to talk.
Tight Lines
Marty Owens
BiminiTwisted

#3 ·
I think that lack of response on this particular topic has everything to do with the size of the NC musky fishing community (miniscule), and the subset of that community that is active on NCangler.com (nil).

In my life I think I've seen one NC Sportsman TV episode where the guys targeted musky (or pike maybe?) in a mountain river during winter. Its interesting, but not in my neighborhood and not something I can realistically see myself doing.

Maybe discussion around putting together a group trip with guide(s) would generate some more interest?

#6 ·
I've never fished for musky so I know nothing to share :)

#8 ·
Marty, I really wish I could help you on that one but Muskies are not a high frequency catch. Some advice I was given was to fish the river without even thinking about Muskies. Supossedly you'll learn their ways while you are having some sucess and not get discouraged. It's not like you are going to catch them every trip. Too easy to get disappointed if you have your hopes set on a big musky. Nothing wrong with carrying some Musky lures for the occasion when you spot one. If you are blind casting all day with "musky lures " you're liable to come home with a sore arm and a tired soul. That came from a lifelong French Broad fisherman. Sorta dampened my hopes but I think it is good advice.
If you think about it Musky fishing is something you take up for a challenge. If you put in the time and effort to learn to catch them then you will respect them and take care of the resource. If someone was to give out a lifetimes worth of experience to anyone that cared to listen, pretty soon there would be no fish left and those who wanted a challenge would have to look elsewhere.

#12 ·
Marty, that's where I met them also I had a chance to talk at length with a couple of them and they had been doing well withthe traditional equipment and decided they weanted more challenge so they took up the fly. if you google wnc muskie they are the first thing that comes up.

#13 ·
musky fishing can be very frustrating specially in the nearly gin clear water of the french broad..

i have caught quite a few musky up north. several here in nc.. not all that much differant other than the size of the water..

i got to say a musky on a fly in that river would be a rush fer sure..

zooker

#14 ·
Most musky taken on the FB are with crankbaits (like big Rapalas and Grandmas) or with bucktail spinners.

Best shot at fly fishing for musky up there would be above Fletcher.

Still there are some big muskie from Asheville to Hot Springs.

River is low from Asheville down to really float.

Never floated the FB but have wade fished.

#15 ·
I used to fish for musky in Minnesota. They are very difficult to come by even on decent musky waters. Never got around to tackling one on a fly rod though. Most of my luck came from shore fishing with large baits (12" chubs or suckers) under a float. I caught a few running the cranks and spinners. Only "spinner" I ever found that worked was a black skirted with silver leaf blades looks like a buzz bait for bass more then a spinner but the hook was set way back compared to a bass bait. Caught quite a few on that lure until it was destroyed. If you are going to try to catch them on the fly I would suggest a very large bright streamer and target the deep edge of the weed beds. Good luck on it though like to hear the story when you do hook into one. BTW what weight rod and reel are you using?

#16 ·
They take quite a few from rivers in the region I am from (WI). I will be giving it a go on the French Broad as I learn it.
Fish big, deep slow pools ideally with structure. Since you striper fish you probably have a 9 or 10wt which would do the trick as you're gonna throw serious flies. 8" is not too big. Many guys throw tandem flies as big as they can handle. Keep the hair light (thin) on 'em or they weigh a TON wet and will wear you out. Throw it behind you and load the rod off the water.
Most times of year, throw a sinktip. But in late fall, you can try on top.

#17 ·
I'd like to a shot at those 40+ lb, landlocked striper you were talking about. Where can I get some of that action. :eek:

Also, it trying to fish unfamiliar lakes, unless you know someone from the area, or at least have some general knowledge of a layout of a particular lake, I'll spend hours trying to find a place to land my boat. Does anyone know where to go to get good maps or directions to state landings??? :confused:

#20 ·
Marty: Keep the faith - don't give up on the longrod, bruthuh!!

I'm in research mode and am going to cast til my arm falls off for Muskies sometime soon.

I'm not a Flyrod Snob.. it's just my thing. Some people bow-hunt, some crappie fish, and some flyfish. It's whatever flips your switch. I'd rather get skunked than use any other tackle.. I'm just hard headed that way.

#22 ·
I caught the Musky Bug in 06--- nailed my first NC Musky on Lake Adger on a home made spinner bait... The only thing which keeps its mouth shut as much as a musky.. is a musky fisherman.

Check out musky hunter magazine and the musky hunting guide book...

and get ready to cast until your arms hurt...

3 years- 2 fish.....

#23 ·
Hey Marty,
The only thing I know about Muskie is don't ever try to grab it by the lip and gill to get it in the boat. Actually learned this by personal experience.:eek:
I would like to get into some of those #40 Striper you mentioned. Any info on where to go and what to do.
Usually do an annual trek to OBX every January for the ocean type but they have not come south of VA now for 3 years straight and it looks like they are not going to make it this time. I think I'll spend my money closed to home this year.
Appreciate any advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.