Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barbecue!!

Default Barbecue!!

The Admiral and I are dropping our son off at Camp Seagull tomorrow. She's a NC native and wants some good NC cue. Any suggestions for a place around the New Bern area? We'll be heading back to Virginia around 10:00 a.m.
    "Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths"
    RED X ANGLER

Blog Entries

Default Barbecue!!

Moores is the place to go in New Bern. They have pretty good que.
    Red Chaser, and rollcast like this.

-Die Hard- Red X Angler
    Vegetarian-"Indian for Really bad Fisherman"

i say if you want the best, take the 45 min ride(70W) into goldsboro and hit Wilburs up on your left or McCalls on your right. By far, the best BBQ you'll find anywhere...
    rollcast likes this.

BORN 2 FISH...forced to work!!

Blog Entries

Default Barbecue!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2840-FISH View Post
    i say if you want the best, take the 45 min ride(70W) into goldsboro and hit Wilburs up on your left or McCalls on your right. By far, the best BBQ you'll find anywhere...
    If we are going for best in the state then Skylight Inn in Ayden is by far the best there is to be had. They have the credentials to back it up too

-Die Hard- Red X Angler
    Vegetarian-"Indian for Really bad Fisherman"

McCalls in Goldsboro X2 On your way to I-95 leave New Bern at 10 Check out Nuese River Sport Shop or the CSS Neuse in Kinston and you'll be on track for a great lunch at McCalls.

Darrell
    2840-FISH, and rollcast like this.

Red X Angler

I have heard great things about the Skylight as well Maybe that should be put on my to-do list.

Darrell
    rollcast, and RouseD like this.

Red X Angler

I think they could stop at either of the 3 and be happy and all can be made on the way to VA, i have had skylite quite a few times in past on way back from fishing and its pretty good as well, but i'm partial to mcalls and wilburs i guess
    dbeam, and rollcast like this.

If I am not mistaken several years ago, the Skylight Inn was rated best BBQ in the world by National Geographic mag. I think they've served their BBQ at the White House in the past also. I also like McCall's BBQ quite well.
    2840-FISH, dbeam, and rollcast like this.

RED X ANGLER

Forgot to say, I've heard good things about Moore's in New Bern, but have never eaten there.
    dbeam, and rollcast like this.

RED X ANGLER

If you're coming to goldsboro you might as well take another 30 mins to wilson to have the famous Bills Barbecue.
    dbeam, rollcast, and RouseD like this.

I only fish on the days that end in "Y" ...Red X Angler- Bleed BLUE RedFish 14

Lots of great BBQ around NC but if the wife get's itching for some and doesn't want to make the trip, Virginia BBQ in Ashland, Va has some darn good NC style BBQ and VA style. Not quite what they make round here but it's still pretty amazing. Made with champagne too so it's got some kick.

Default Barbecue!!

Wow! NC Angler comes through again! Lots of good choices! Skylight and Moore's are closed today. Much respect for honoring the Lord's Sabbath! McCall's and Wilber's are sounding good with a visit to Neuse River sports, if the wife will let me! Also heard good things about Parker's in Wilson and B's in Greenville.
    2840-FISH, dbeam, and RouseD like this.

"Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths"
    RED X ANGLER

McCalls and wilburs will def be open today, McCalls should have a nice buffet all day today if yall wanted to go that route and man, all this BBQ talk making me wanna take a ride back home to grab a pint o Q
    dbeam, rollcast, RouseD, and Spider Crack like this.

Wilburs has gone into the tater salad business.
    You'll get two pounds of tater salad and half a scoop of BBq on the plate.
    much rather have Parkers, White Swan, or Bill Ellis. Folks that will feed you and serve good food.

B's in Greenville is outstanding. Skylight Inn Restaurant (Pete Jones') in Ayden is top notch. These are without a doubt the two best. If you can't get there, then Moore's in New Bern is good. If you're further inland, Parkers in Wilson is great. Not associated with Parker's in Greenville which is not real good. One last place is Oakwood BBQ in Jacksonville. Only open on Friday and Saturday from 11 until they run out but that's also true of B's. Suggest you get there real early for B's.

Had me a medium tray at Skylight yesterday. Medium tray with slaw and cornbread and ice tea. Man, it was good. Wife had a small tray with ice tea. Whole thing was $15.50. Can't beat that. Love the way they put the cracklin in the q.

Acts 1:8
    Red X Angler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast