Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catching Live Shrimp

Cool Catching Live Shrimp

i,m Not Very Good At Throwing A Cast Net For Shrimp Any One Have Any Advises, What Size Next Is The Best To Throw? How Can I Tell Were To Find Live Shrimp On The Creeks,? What Should I Look For To Let Me Know Shrimp Are Present? I Have Seen A Lot Of Specks, Stripers And Reds Caught Lately On Live Shrimp......................chris
    2006 Stratos Bass Boat 115 Yamaha

Default Re: Catching Live Shrimp

I can usually catch shrimp near dock lights at night in pretty good numbers.
    Use this video to help you with throwing the net. I learned this method from this video and can catch any bait now. Even dozens of schooled mullet in 40 feet of water. The guy on it is a yankee but oh well..

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOUkj2h2LjI"]YouTube - How to throw a cast net[/nomedia]
    tcfisherman likes this.

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator
    Follow NCFishingReport on Twitter!

Blog Entries

Best time to find shrimp in the creeks is around low tide - gets them out of the marsh grass. Good way to find the shrimp is to make a small wake with your boat and watch as the wake hits the shore - if there are shrimp there, they will "pop" out of the water.

I use a 3/8 mesh 6 footer but a 1/4 inch mesh will work too.
    tcfisherman likes this.

Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

I didn't see this post until after I responded to your inquiry about buying live shrimp. Some info on current shrimp activity there.

See; http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f3/live-shrimp-5285.html
    tcfisherman likes this.

Liked the video...thanks for the topic, too.
    tcfisherman likes this.

happy trails...

I like a 3/8's net for shrimp. Lets a lot of hte little guys out keeping the larger ones. As for finding them.. I can tell you I've found them at 20th street in the past, but beware of your nets there.
    Also I've found them at the edge of the Newport river and the inner coastal waterway (that goes to the Nuese) but this is mainly in Aug, Sept and early Oct. when the water temps start to fall they bail quickly.
    Also, take a ride out towards harkers island and there is a bridge/grass flat out there that always has guys throwing nets on it.
    sundrop, and tcfisherman like this.

I was thinking about trying some shrimping near carrot island. I search ncangler and found this thread, but can't seem to find the video link that's mentioned. Can anyone help? Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vineyd View Post
    I was thinking about trying some shrimping near carrot island. I search ncangler and found this thread, but can't seem to find the video link that's mentioned. Can anyone help? Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I think the video was wither removed or changed locations - it was stored on youtube
    Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwMqRnCAsSw"]YouTube - CALUSA Cast Nets[/ame]
    Woodduck likes this.

kaleb5000

come on crappie why do you have to dawg yankees we know a thing or to as well. there are fish up north lol. i know its all in good fun.

That's a good video, thanks for bringing it back.
    happy trails...

Remember when you are throwing a net to always hang on to it a split second longer with your pinky finger, which will allow the net to open fully.

10-4 Chris....I use a 4 foot net cause I am comfortable with it. I also have a 5 and 7 footer. With a bad shoulder
    I can do a lot more casting with the smaller net. Occasionally I'll use one of the other nets but the 4 footer stays
    in my boat.

This is the video that I used to teach myself to cast. With the 4 footer there is no need to do any chocking up on
    the net. Coil the rope, grab the horn and then start splitting the net. CAst as demonstrated.

Nothing in my mouth and don't have to worry about the extra pinky finger doing anything....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11N4hMaQmQ&feature=related"]YouTube - How to throw a castnet[/ame]

<*)))))>{
    tcfisherman likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

Blog Entries

Interesting video. Bet he don't get many fish....there at the end he pulled the horn up as he lifted the net off the ground, notice the mesh is all nice and straight- meaning the bottom is wide open. LOL Leave the horn down until you get the net in the boat or on the dock, then pull it up.

to all who dont catch there own and fish Pamlico County - I have live shrimp in my tanks. Call ahead to assure there are some there. Dont blame you for catching own though.
    tcfisherman likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast