Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to NC, where to start??

Default New to NC, where to start??

Hey guys, I'm new to NC, but not saltwater fishing. I was born and raised in FL and have done plenty of fishing. I'm looking for a good place to start fishing inshore with my boys. We mainly fish on foot and use the canoe to move around a bit. Can anyone point in the right direction for some public access for wading, or canoe launch? Thanks in advance.

It would be a good idea to come to the RedX meet and greet this saturday on the Dan River. Details in the Red X forum.
    chriscyr likes this.

Red X Angler

Lake mackintosh has a launch on hwy 61 just south of 85/40. Its very canoe friendly and the fishing is decent for all species. And welcome to NC and ncangler.
    CNCBA (Central NC Bass Anglers)

Have you considered surf fishing? Easy access, lots of fish, fun for when the kids get bored not catching. ...... ICM
    chriscyr likes this.

My wife keeps saying I don't listen to her .... or something like that.

We have done a little bit of surf fishing, I do prefer fishing the back waters though. The sounds and rivers/creeks are what we're looking for.

We kayak fish the salt marshes in the Bay River ,Oriental , Pamlico River creeks(Blounts, Aurora,Campbells to name a few) . You are welcomed to come along and we will be glad to show you some hot spots. One note...there is a M&G in a Sept for the Red X Anglers and that would be a wonderful start for some great friends with a fantastic group of people!! Look on this site for the thread.
    c.lane, and chriscyr like this.

ALLEN TARHEEL FLY FLINGERS " RED X ANGLER "
    " BOWFIN ANGLER "

Quote Originally Posted by albright1695 View Post
    Lake mackintosh has a launch on hwy 61 just south of 85/40. Its very canoe friendly and the fishing is decent for all species. And welcome to NC and ncangler.
    Sorry didn't see you were looking for saltwater.OOppppssss!!
    chriscyr likes this.

CNCBA (Central NC Bass Anglers)

Quote Originally Posted by tarheel fly flinger View Post
    We kayak fish the salt marshes in the Bay River ,Oriental , Pamlico River creeks(Blounts, Aurora,Campbells to name a few) . You are welcomed to come along and we will be glad to show you some hot spots. One note...there is a M&G in a Sept for the Red X Anglers and that would be a wonderful start for some great friends with a fantastic group of people!! Look on this site for the thread.
    Thanks tarheel, this is exactly the type of fishing that interest me. So I'm asking for a little guidance as to where I can access these types of places on foot or by canoe. Not asking for any honey holes, just some direction. We target the usual inshore species, drum, trout, and flounder. I have never seen a striper, wouldn't mind catching one of them. Any parks along the ICW that can be fished this way?

JMO, but I wouldn't get anywhere near the ICW in a canoe, i'd rather paddle some strong class II or mild III in a canoe than to take one on the ICW. I've had my butt kicked in a native that I had previously ran whitewater with without problem. Those barges are another story. Just want you to be safe, and that's not the safest place for a paddler. I enjoy paddling the lockwood folly and Shallotte Rivers, and several other small creeks, If you ever make it this far south shoot me a PM. Paddling and fishing the salt is a blast, just be weary of the inlets and the ICW.

Thanks Rick. I appreciate it. I live 3.5-4 hrs away, I really want have a game plan when I head that way. Next trip won't be for a couple more weeks. Just looking for a starting point.

I was in the same boat until I moved to the coast. We're all here to help. Any idea what area your next trip will take you to? If it were me I would pick an area that is the shortest drive and still gets frequent reports from the fishermen here. Then try to get together with someone or get specific tips on that area. Unless it is a "fishing only" trip I would pick an area with something to do in case the wind goes nuts or a big storm blows through. I would imagine the entire coastline is dotted with good areas to launch and fish the backwaters(same as we are here). Launches are everywhere; however, wading isn't much of a viable option. Most times if I step out of the kayak I find myself shoulder deep in the muck trying to retrieve a flip flop while pondering how to get my other foot out.

Good luck
    Rick
    catfish_hunter, and chriscyr like this.

entire coastline is dotted with good areas to launch
    I agree. Most of the time I find myself at Oak Island or Atlantic Beach or Emerald Isle and there are lots of places to slide a canoe or kayak into backwater there and in many other spots along the coast...either a private or public launch ramp or road that dead ends into a sound/slough/creek. A DeLorme Atlas of NC will be of help; as will the Interactive Map on ncwildlife.org; and I believe one of the folks on this forum has a "kayak" launch map.
    chriscyr likes this.

Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

I'd say a good starting point is Fort Fisher, if the wind aint howling but I've caught fish in terrible wind there.
    Fish parts of the wall on foot or miles of backwater.
    chriscyr likes this.

Try the Pamlico River and especially Blounts Creek. It has big water & as you go up the creek it is perfect for small boats and canoe fishing. There is a Wildlife Landing beside our campground that has a boat and canoe launch. We have directions on our website - check it out.

Fish on.
    chriscyr likes this.

Since the primary objective is to fish on foot, Fort Fisher is the first place that pops in my mind. Google Earth it. From the boat ramp through the bays and on to the river it provides plenty of wade fishing or bank strolling opportunities and is somewhat sheltered in areas. Many species of saltwater fish can be caught in those backwaters including citation sized fish and larger.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast