NC Angler Forums banner

New to NC, where to start??

3K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Twystedweb 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to NC, but not saltwater fishing. I was born and raised in FL and have done plenty of fishing. I'm looking for a good place to start fishing inshore with my boys. We mainly fish on foot and use the canoe to move around a bit. Can anyone point in the right direction for some public access for wading, or canoe launch? Thanks in advance.

#6 ·
We kayak fish the salt marshes in the Bay River ,Oriental , Pamlico River creeks(Blounts, Aurora,Campbells to name a few) . You are welcomed to come along and we will be glad to show you some hot spots. One note...there is a M&G in a Sept for the Red X Anglers and that would be a wonderful start for some great friends with a fantastic group of people!! Look on this site for the thread.

#8 ·
Thanks tarheel, this is exactly the type of fishing that interest me. So I'm asking for a little guidance as to where I can access these types of places on foot or by canoe. Not asking for any honey holes, just some direction. We target the usual inshore species, drum, trout, and flounder. I have never seen a striper, wouldn't mind catching one of them. Any parks along the ICW that can be fished this way?

#9 ·
JMO, but I wouldn't get anywhere near the ICW in a canoe, i'd rather paddle some strong class II or mild III in a canoe than to take one on the ICW. I've had my butt kicked in a native that I had previously ran whitewater with without problem. Those barges are another story. Just want you to be safe, and that's not the safest place for a paddler. I enjoy paddling the lockwood folly and Shallotte Rivers, and several other small creeks, If you ever make it this far south shoot me a PM. Paddling and fishing the salt is a blast, just be weary of the inlets and the ICW.

#11 ·
I was in the same boat until I moved to the coast. We're all here to help. Any idea what area your next trip will take you to? If it were me I would pick an area that is the shortest drive and still gets frequent reports from the fishermen here. Then try to get together with someone or get specific tips on that area. Unless it is a "fishing only" trip I would pick an area with something to do in case the wind goes nuts or a big storm blows through. I would imagine the entire coastline is dotted with good areas to launch and fish the backwaters(same as we are here). Launches are everywhere; however, wading isn't much of a viable option. Most times if I step out of the kayak I find myself shoulder deep in the muck trying to retrieve a flip flop while pondering how to get my other foot out.

Good luck
Rick

#12 ·
entire coastline is dotted with good areas to launch
I agree. Most of the time I find myself at Oak Island or Atlantic Beach or Emerald Isle and there are lots of places to slide a canoe or kayak into backwater there and in many other spots along the coast...either a private or public launch ramp or road that dead ends into a sound/slough/creek. A DeLorme Atlas of NC will be of help; as will the Interactive Map on ncwildlife.org; and I believe one of the folks on this forum has a "kayak" launch map.

#15 ·
Since the primary objective is to fish on foot, Fort Fisher is the first place that pops in my mind. Google Earth it. From the boat ramp through the bays and on to the river it provides plenty of wade fishing or bank strolling opportunities and is somewhat sheltered in areas. Many species of saltwater fish can be caught in those backwaters including citation sized fish and larger.

#19 ·
Ok guys, thanks for all this help so far. I'm heading for the coast in 2 weeks. Looking for bank/shore fishing. Not gonna be able to bring the canoe this time around. I'd like to target flounder and sheepshead of possible. Anything else would be a bonus. Thanks in advance for the help. Any bridges or structure in the backwaters that can be reached from shore? Pull off the road and fish type areas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.