NC Angler Forums banner

Rod-Man Charters Report September 23, 2005

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sinker man 
#1 ·
Fishing Report September 23, 2005:

Hi Folks,
We have sure had some weather with Ophelia and Philippe. By and large locally we have had minor damage and the Rod-Man is thankful that all is well. We are catching some fish even though the waters are a bit churned up, but fishing will improve even more as the waters settle and cool with the onset of fall.

Now here's my report:

Inshore: Water temps are running between 78 and 81 and cooling. We are catching reds in the creeks and waterway and some in the inlets and ocean. Catching reds in the ocean is not unusual as we enter the fall season. Flounder are biting in the inlets and the cut and the river. Live bait, menhaden or mullet, work best. A few nice specks have shown up too.

Nearshore: Spanish mackerel are still here in good numbers...we caught 19 yesterday morning. Gray trout are starting to show up around the nearshore reefs. You catch them on live bait and on jigs like the Crippled Herring spoon. We had an unexpected visit from some big tarpon two days ago as the busted and jumped in some big mullet schools near the inlet (Masonboro).

Offshore: King mackerel are "getting back together" after being scattered by the storms and will soon be running strong in the 3 to 10 mile areas. Bottom fishing for grouper and others is doing well around 25-30 miles out.

Gulfstream: It is almost tuna time, and of course the wahoo will be there too. It's that time when a flourocarbon leader will catch more tuna but you have to hope that a wahoo doesn't bite you off...a wonderful predicament.

LOTS of great fishing ahead over the next 3 months and then it will be boat show season and then before you know it, the Second Annual Rod-Man Fishing School will be happening March 4, 2006. Response thus far has been great and it looks like we will again have a super school. I suggest that if you are interested you register as soon as possible. Seating is limited!

Sponsor's Corner:
Whatever your fishing needs, look for Bug-Em Bait to have it for you...jigs and spoons for gray trout and bonito that will be showing soon and deep divers by Yozuri will increase your catch too. Okuma reels are great. I have the VS 40 and as I have said before they are some kind of smooth. It's time to stock up on the Berkley "Gulp". The 4" swimming grub is simply a fantastic bait for trout, flounder and reds...and more.

Don't miss this week's pic of the week: http://www.rodmancharters.com/report.htm

That's all for now. Hope to see you on the water...and
Let's Go Fishing!!!

Capt. Rick Bennett
Rod-Man Charters
910-799-6120

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.