NC Angler Forums banner

Trout fishing in Surry County

Freshwater 
21K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  finstalker 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I am a rather novice (still) fly-fisherman living south of Fayetteville. After about a year or more of putting it off I finally took a road trip today to investigate some trout waters. After eyeballing it, I figured that Surry County was probably closest to home and nearest to major thouroughfares, so I packed up the wife and kid to go check it out. We found the three waters listed in a relatively outdated gazeteer we have, and ascertained that it is only about a three hour drive away, which is about my threshhold for a day trip. The only water I managed to get dwon to was Paul's Creek right at the bridge on Miller Rd, but I quickly determined that with out waders (which I forgot to pack) I wasn't going to get very far. So, anyhow, I came away with a few questions that I was hoping y'all could answer.

Firstly, I was curious if there was anyone who was specifically familiar with these waters in Surry County and could make any suggestions as far as access. I am not terribly sure about the laws associated with fishing designated trout waters, but I am under the impression that if they are in fact designated, the owners of the land they run through are by default amicable to fisherman being there. However, no obvious access occurred to me, except for where state roads actually cross the water, but even then figuring out how to get to the water seems tricky, such as where NC 89 crosses the Little Fisher near the I-77 interchange. There is an Exxon right there but the adjoining land is still fenced...

So just hoping someone could share the secret with me. Thanks very much for your help! I happen to be departing for Iraq in just a couple of days, but hopefully when I return in the spring time I can put the advice to good use.

Johnny

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Johnny, thanks for your service to our country. It's men like you that make it possible for us to enjoy the freedoms we have. I live in Surry county and fish some of the waters here. The Mitchell River is a delayed harvest stream but has restrictions. The Ararat in Mount Airy is stocked and has great access because it runs right by the city park. But, the few fish that are stocked there are quickly caught. I fished there shortly after a stocking last year and caught a 3lber and one over 2. so the fishing can be good. Ive fished in the waters below the stocked portion of Pauls Creek for smallies and was surprised with a 21 inch brook. I've caught brookies at Fisher River Park in Dobson. The Dan River runs thru Surry and Stokes county and it is heavily stocked but I've never fished it. Waders or canoe are in order there. I have a friend with access to the river so that should not be a problem. Send me a message when you return and I'll try to help you all I can.

#4 ·
i live here in mt airy. finstalkers right about ararat river can get some nice fish there you can also go up riverside drive there at the park about 8 to 10 miles to the va state line soon as you cross the bridge turn left go about 200 yards use to be great fishing there you can get to a few good miles of water there havn't fished that in a long time but a few buddies fish it a cpl times a year and do great

#5 ·
Hello Johnny and I too thank you for your service to our country. First, I would polish up on regulations. A ranger will burn you a new one if you are caught on the wrong stream, wrong bait, and wrong date. Also, you can go to the WRC web site to get trout water maps, stocking schedule, and learn the posted WRC signs. Their are a number of sites just about flyfishing NC. Google 'flyfishing in NC' to get pages. It just helps to do the prep work prior to getting there. Just my opinion.

#6 ·
Thanks to all for your help! I just got back from Iraq this week, and have been looking forward to your responses. Despite the rather windy weather today, I think that I'm going to try my hand at Surry County to day with your advice. And not to worry about the rangers... I had the privledge of attending one of the seminars/workshops that the state puts on with volunteers down here in Fayetteville. They spent a good deal of time squaring us away just on the difference in the designated trout waters. I'll post the report when I get back!

Thanks again,
Johnny

#8 ·
So... Unfortunately I didn't have any luck :( I tried out the Ararat there at Riverside Park, and even though the weather was forecast to be poor, things looked pretty favorable when I started. I tried a variety of wet and dry flies, but was unable to get a bite. I didn't notice any rises at all on the river while I was there, and when trying to spot native buggies to match couldn't see any except a few very small flying critters. So I pretty much tried to use my smallest flies, and put them in what looked to me like choice lies for waiting trout.

So I'm not sure if the fact that this is the last week of the hatchery supported stream season means that there just aren't any fish left there, or my clumsy attempts were generally scoffed at by said trout. In any case it was still a fun trip, especially since there was play equipment there at the park for my wife and son. Thanks to everyone who offered advice and support, and thanks for the welcome back. It is definitely good to be back home.

Johnny

#11 ·
Johnnyboy, you should try the Mitchell River in western Surry County. A portion of it is Delayed Harvest and was probably stocked this week to start the spring season. You can legally fish the DH sections now, just remember to catch and release (no harvesting) all your fish until first Saturday in June. The Mitchell gets heavy pressure but the fishing is usually very good.

Most hatchery supported waters will be all fished out through the winter and they legally don't open for trout fishing until the first Saturday in April. The WRC website has updated maps that will show you locations and status of the streams in the county. Good luck and thanks for your service.

#14 ·
johnny boy/finstalker and all others this is what is important in the fishing world, all of us coming together for a common cause,,,,,,,,,,,,,fishing.

Each of us if given the chance not only tell of our experiences but take another person from this form fishing. Give him the tools and resources when he can go somewhere else and maybe put some type of pattern together and catch a fish.

Who knows it might just be you wanting a trip to Topsail Island and someone might jump in the mix and take you out for drum. or trout or flounder or even how to surf fish. I doesnt matter the techniques but the time and energy we put in to help others enjoy and understand a particular way of fishing.

tight line s<*)))))>{

#15 ·
Hi Johnny,

The Mitchell is a great place to try dry flies toward the end of this month. This is when the may fly hatches come off in the evening. The bite will happen late afternoon and early evening. You might catch a few before the hatch comes off, but once it does fish will be rising all aong the river. I take off work early and drive up from Winston sometimes just to get in on it. I have not seen this hatch in Stone Mountain and other areas, I guess the grass pastures around the Mitch hold mayflies whereas others dont. It can be a blast. Good luck and welcome back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.