Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Tar River Shad

Default 2014 Tar River Shad

I figured I'd start a spinoff of the Neuse thread for people that fish the Tar. Tried to find some early shad in Greenville today, no luck. Anybody else gonna be fishing the Tar this year?

You bet. Even though the Neuse is very close I plan on hitting the Tar for a change in scenery. I also plan on some creek fishing. This Kayak fishing thing sure opens up some doors especially with gas prices being what they are. I'm even getting a second smoker for the upcoming shad season. I plan to be on the water a lot.
    bweave09 likes this.

I will be fishing for shad on the tar I put in at old sparta off of hwy 42
    WSanford likes this.

I'll be out there too, mainly near Greenville. The rivers been pretty high lately, not sure when they'll start showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by yak-daddy1964 View Post
    I will be fishing for shad on the tar I put in at old sparta off of hwy 42
    That's about where you'll see me. I was also thinking right off of 222 near Belvoir. Looks like a couple creek mouths in paddling range there. These two spots are pretty much a straight shot east for me, coming from Princeton.

Does anyone fish them near Washington?
    smarba likes this.

Went out this morning with my brother and got skunked.

Ill be trying it, saw someone in Greenville trying yesterday and they said they had no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ecufisherman View Post
    Ill be trying it, saw someone in Greenville trying yesterday and they said they had no luck.
    I'm at Town Commons right now gettin my skunk on

Cross posting...

Quote Originally Posted by Bighow104 View Post
    I usually go up to Rocky Mount, and fish for shad at battle park on the Tar River. It's a shorter drive for me than going to Goldsboro.
    I have had this one on my radar.
    • Lower Tar River
      Battle Park to Dunbar NC Wildlife Boat Ramp
      Mile 108.5 - Mile 124.5
      The Lower Tar may be accessed via the following access locations: Battle Park, Neville Lane, Hwy 97 and NC Wildlife Boat Ramp at Dunbar. Paddlers may enjoy the history of Battle Park, Little Falls, rural scenery and small rapids along this route. If paddling in the Spring, paddlers may consider bringing a fishing rod, as American and Hickory shad as well as Striped bass end their migration along this route.
    smarba likes this.

-Andy ​X

Went last year to Weldon and then to Rocky Mount (Tar River) with the kayaks will be back to the Tar this year with the yaks. We will probably fish the weekday to miss the crowds.

Went out with my roommate on his new boat yesterday. Awesome weather but no shad. Hope to get back out one day soon

this cold run off from the melt has raised water and lowered tempos but its going to recover quickly now.
    bweave09, RouseD, and WSanford like this.

* With "Self regulation", comes "De-regulation". Be responsible to the resource, not just obedient to the laws * *PROUD RED X ANGLER*

Hey Guys!!!
    I saw this thread on Shad Fishing and also the upcoming Neuse River Trip, and I wanted to share two fishing trips from mostly flyrodders down here in JAX, FL.

Shad migrate down the St. Johns River and I am "pretty certain" these two trips were about 100 miles south of JAX near Palatka, FL. Check out these threads and pix and maybe you can get some ideas on how these friends of mine caught a bunch of them:

Sunday, January 26th:http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/phpBB/topic35401.html

Super Bowl Sunday Trip:
    http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/phpBB/topic35452.html

Both those links should take you to the Fly Forum on JKF, and check out the videos and tips by Capt. Rich who is the Moderator of this forum, and he guides and teaches fly casting....in his spare time from his real job!!
    His videos are VERY good and instructional!! Enjoy!!
    JohnYaksJax
    OptiMystic, and RouseD like this.

Neuse river shad 8 pages
    Tar River shad 1 page

Pretty funny! If anyone's interested in hitting the Tar out of Greenville let me know. Me and my brother are anxious to get on the shad and stripers. I'm in a kayak and he's in an old town. I'm 23 he's 21 so if you want some young guns to paddle with let us know. But we would really appreciate any help we can get when it comes to finding the fish to fill our freezers, us college students need protein to fuel our fishing adventures.

8 pages in the neuse thread and the first fish hasn't been caught yet lol.
    Kayaking, and RouseD like this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast