Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGuire Hot Hole Lake Norman

Default McGuire Hot Hole Lake Norman

Fished at the McGuire Nuclear area hot hole today for a few hours in the afternoon with shiners and worms.

Not a whole lot going on. Saw what might have been a good size grass carp boil but that was the only 'big' fish.

Saw some small bass and sunfish too.

Did not see anybody else catch any fish but was told of a catfish caught that morning.

Default Re: McGuire Hot Hole Lake Nornan

Thanks for the report!

Default Re: McGuire Hot Hole Lake Norman

I fished Mountain Creek, Hagars Creek, and the bank just below the Marshall hot hole yesterday and managed to catch two keeper stripers. We didn't see many other boats fishing and nobody else catch anything. There were a lot of trailers at the landing but Norman is so big, I guess they were fishing elsewhere.
    gambusia, and wkillette like this.

The worst day Fishing is still far better than the best day at Work

thanks For The Reports.................chris
    2006 Stratos Bass Boat 115 Yamaha

I work in the training building located on the island at the McGuire hothole. Over the past five years I have seen only two small bass caught outside the bridge. I have seen a few stripers caught at the acutal discharge (inside the fence from the bank). If you remember the two exposed stumps, A friend of mine caught a number of bass in the small cove past the stumps. Another good place is as you exit the hothole heading toward the main channel look at the left island and find the exposed rocks on the right side of the island. When water level returns to normal the bass school around those rocks in the afternoon. However after Feb/March I expect the water management guys to let less water into Norman from the upper lakes allowing Norman level drop even more.

It seems I keep moving further west since my childhood and struggle fishing in Norman. If anyone fishing Norman or this area wish to team up let me know. Your boat or mine.
    gambusia likes this.

We were fishing from the bank.

New to site and thought id reply to this.

i fish norman regular and havent fished around in a good while, but the secret to it is fish at night

come March thru May i fish there regularly and practically every trip i limit out on striper. just talking about it gets me excited about the hot action there during that time of the year...its right around the corner.

stripers are biting good right now in the mainlake in front of Marshall, and surrounding areas.
    hip, sundrop, and Topsail Angler like this.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info Pete and welcome aboard!
    Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

McGuire area can be good with a boat, biggest striper I ever got from Norman came up near the Food Lion guys old house (forgot his name) that fish was near 20lbs and was caught in mid February in 15 feet of water, 49 degrees on a cloudy day with light wind (I keep a log book). It hit a freelined trout on a 2/0 gamakatsu circle hook

Anyway, this time of year find the bait and stick with it whether you see fish or not.

Trout or shad fished at 30, 20, 10 feet and freelined is a good pattern to start with.

I might go out tomorrow because I love to fish in the snow. If you are out hail Squid Row on channel 69 and say hello.
    gambusia, and hip like this.

SSUPPORT THE TROOPS visit Military Appreciation Day . org

Thanks for the reports guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid Row View Post
    McGuire area can be good with a boat, biggest striper I ever got from Norman came up near the Food Lion guys old house (forgot his name) that fish was near 20lbs and was caught in mid February in 15 feet of water, 49 degrees on a cloudy day with light wind (I keep a log book). It hit a freelined trout on a 2/0 gamakatsu circle hook

Anyway, this time of year find the bait and stick with it whether you see fish or not.

Trout or shad fished at 30, 20, 10 feet and freelined is a good pattern to start with.

I might go out tomorrow because I love to fish in the snow. If you are out hail Squid Row on channel 69 and say hello.

thats a nice one for norman no doubt. many fish several years to get one even over 10 lbs. best day i had big fish wise on norman was fishing mid december up by marker 21 area (by islands) caught a 12 lb 7 ozer, 9 lb 6oz, and 8 lb 10 ozer within 1 hr. the 4th i worked hard for and he wasnt but maby 6lbs.

in the last few years ive caught a handful over 10 lbs, all of them just being a few ounces over, and most of them were uplake. the ones at mcguire area for the most part arnt much bigger than 26 inches. im a believer that bigger fish stay uplake.

Wow! found this site after striper247.com, just want to add some of my experiences.

I went to Marshall couple weekends back. My bro caught a nice keeper probably over 21 inches but it was to skinny. It must weight like 2lbs.

I started fishing at McGuire last year and yea late Feb thur March does have alot of action. Hitting on top water spooks and jerk baits. Best results go on raining day. You must go.

I went the other day and saw 2 big gizzards shad running hear the shore. NO action right now for the moment.

I am glad its around the corner of the year. Never know your reel will spool and hit a big one.
    gambusia, hip, sundrop, and Topsail Angler like this.

welcome to the site,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,chris
    2006 Stratos Bass Boat 115 Yamaha

Welcome to the party!!!!!!!! Be sure and say Hi in the Meet n Greet section!!

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard and thanks for the report, Daltis101.
    Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast