NC Angler Forums banner

best kayak for the buck

7K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  mikedameron 
#1 ·
im new to the kayak fishing, but plan on buying one. im mostly river and lake fishing ( you guys can keep that salt water,i don't get in salt water were the fish are bigger than my boat).I'm 5'11 210 lbs what do you suggest. thanks

#2 ·
I think you're going to have to decide what you're looking for in a kayak, then maybe we can get some more specific guidance. Here are some basic guidelines:

If you're going to do a lot of river fishing, you might find that shorter is better - more maneuverable. And since the current can do a lot of the work, you won't be as concerned with long distance paddling efficiency. For predominantly longer, flatwater paddles, longer is better == straighter (better tracking) and more efficient moving through the water. Shorter is also going to be lighter, so if your launches are more "primitive" you might appreciate hauling a lighter boat in and out. 12' is what I consider the cutoff line between long/short.

Ruling out saltwater (surf, more precisely) reduces the need for a sit-on-top model but doesn't eliminate it. I still prefer SOTs for rigging & hauling options and especially for getting in & out to wade fish, if that's part of your plan. But you might like the seats better in a Sit-inside.

You can get something in the $3-400 range from a big-box retailer (ie Dick's, Sams Club) but no service, no support, no accessories, no community. New kayaks from a shop are going to be in the $700 range with a lot more variety and your support with selection, sale and after-the-sale is likely to be outstanding.

A good option would be to check the shops for used boats, especially shops that rent boats out during the season. They usually try to turn their rental inventory over in the off-season.

Might be worth a look at the boat Straps57 has in the classified section at NC Angler Fishing Classifieds - Perception Sierra. Shop brand (perception), sit-inside, good price. Long drive from Hickory, but if you're going through Wilmington could be a deal...

For what its worth, Native (Manta Ray, Ultimate and others) and Heritage (Redfish) are 2 brands that make fishing kayaks. They're part of Legacy Paddlesports which is an NC company - I believe the boats are molded in the Triad. Hard to argue with local dealers selling locally built products.

I paddle a Heritage Redfish and a Perception Search. Got one on sale, and the other on clearance sale:) - both great kayaks for my buck.

#3 ·
hey thanks for the info and time . I looked at straps57 its 268 miles away, little to far out. I plan on picking one up here in a week or so.I have not seen any one on lake hickory or look out kayak fishing,so it will be something new to me. thanks for the reply Jeffonc

#4 ·
If you find yourself in the Triangle area, give a shout and I'll be happy to at least give you a dry tour of my boat.... (I guess one of these days I oughtta video a tour...)

#5 ·
I fish a Tarpon 120 SOT and love it. Easy to manuver in shallows, down rivers, but I am in love with it when in the ocean off of Topsail. Once past the breakers (that's the "fun" part), it has never let me down in providing a great fishing boat. There are a lot of good kayaks out there, just take your time and talk to people that do this a lot. They can save you a lot of money, and time.
Good Fishing.

Fossilhub

#6 ·
Check out craigslist.com frequently. You should be able to pick up a yak that fits your needs from there. You can get a better kayak for less money. I would stay away from Pelican kayaks. My girlfriend bought one and it did not trac strait what so ever. I wanted to sink the thing after I was done paddling it. Needless to say she only kept it a couple of weeks.

#7 ·
juggin,

Do you plan to use the boat more in lakes or in rivers? A 12 foot boat will perform well in both areas. However, if you will be mostly in rivers, especially smaller rivers where you need more maneuverability, a shorter 10 foot boat would be a better choice. The longer the boat, the faster and the straighter the boat will track. Shorter boats are easier to pick up, load onto cars and have better maneuverability.

If I were to buy a boat specifically for lakes and rivers my first choice would be an Ultimate 12. Good luck!

#8 ·
You have certainly been provided with some very good information. I would like to add, that best kayak for the buck is based on personal preference. Unfortunatley most of the "cheap" kayaks are just that. I understand that they are all made from plastic, but they do use different materials with different molds. As mentioned, and to be reiterated, most cheap boats do not paddle well at all. And that can be quite important after a long day on the water. They also do not always hold their shape, and are more prone to leaking. For occassional (a few times a year) use, they are probably adequate. Some of the cheaper brands are owned by the same companies that make the better known brands, but they do not use the same raw materials or processes.

Now I am partial to SOT's, and for the limited amount of information that you have provided I think a 12 foot boat would be good for you. Usually they are slightly cheaper than longer boats, there are some good ones in both sit inside and SOT's. They also allow better control on moving water and are easier to turn. Good luck in your search.

#10 ·
I have an '06 Tarpon 120 as well. I use a seat pad, which I prefer to the new built in seat pads. So that is not a big deal at all since there are plenty of after market seat pads available. That price seems about right. It never hurts to try to work on a better deal if possible. But if that is in your budget, it is a good kayak. I really enjoy mine.

#13 ·
I have never fished in the ocean. I do mostly inshore saltwater, so you do have currents and water movement, possibly not as much as in the rivers. Most of my fishing has been done in Florida, I have yet to take the kayak out since moving back to NC....however I did fish plenty of very tight mangroved line creeks. And in both my 120 and 140, I could easily turn the boats (thanks to the rudder). I still have a great deal to learn about the different types of water to fish here in NC. So I cannot specifically respond to your question about fishing in the rivers, but I would like to try it......the sooner the better.

#15 ·
I'd say $615 is a fair price, especially in new condition, but it's not spectacular. If you spend $85 on a seat, you're up to $700, which puts you up to the bottom end of the retail price range for that class of boat.

When you say it has no seat padding, are you referring strictly to padding, or are you referring to the seat back as well? Padding for under your rump you can get cheap -- the seat back is not nearly so...

Reactions: JOHN A GILBERT
#18 ·
Watching this thread with Interest, since I may stop being a wannabe once we get our Tax refund. :)

Update!

I just put money down on a new 2007 14ft Manta Ray.
It's red since that's the only color that was left since it was on clearence at 25% off.

I'm gettin' me a 'yak! :D

I won't have borrow to yours again Jeffonc to go to Fort Fisher this year. ;)

Kelley

P.S. Oh Ya, the new yak was $640 !! :)

#23 ·
Any accessories? Or is that kayak only? Dont forget you need a paddle also. If it was fully loaded (and I am only looking at fishing) so it has rod holders, at least seat pad (if '05 had seat back, or a seat if not) and came with a paddle....then that $ for an '05 is a good deal, jump on it....of course depending on use and condition.

If you can get a boat with accessories for $500 to $600 in good condition that is a great deal. When you consider accessories can total up to an extra $150 to $300 depending on brand, etc.

#28 ·
juggin - one, if not the largest paddleboat dealer in NC is in Greensboro if it isn't too far for you. They often have 2nd's or blems, just meaning cosmetic not structural integrity. At 210 lb you'll no doubt find the tarpon 120/140 will hold water in the footwells. One of the most comfortable SOT's I've ever paddled is the Manta Ray it comes with a simple but very effective seat cushion. Not sure I can mention the store name on the board so if you don't know who it is send me a PM with an email address and I'll get you the info. They also run demos through out the season, giving you the opportunity to demo them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.