NC Angler Forums banner

Tull's Mill

Lake 
13K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  jamesandkim1 
#1 ·
Anybody up here fish Tull's Mill pond in Deep Run,NC? The place is very pretty and has great crappie and bream fishing. I haven't done to well on Bass in there but at the right time you can absolutely slay the crappie. They close the pond down in winter and open back up March the 1st. I was wondering if any one fishes there and if so are you having any luck yet. My buddy and I went in there in March last year and never did much untill the water warmed up around late March early April. But in April when the water warmed up My dad, brother in law and myself were in there and the fish were so aggressive you could dangle a minnow above the water and the crappie would jump out of the water to get it.
Any way just wondering if any one was fishing there yet.
Thanks for the info and good luck to all
James

#4 ·
It's in Deep Run Nc. If you are coming from the kinston way Take hwy 11 south toward Pink hill you will see a sign for it. It cost 5.00 per person for boat fishing. Not sure of acerage but it is fairly good size. Mr. Carrol that owns it runs a small bait shack and sells crikets, minnows, nabs, drinks and a few other items. You use your own boat, the do not do boat rentals. The ramp is fairly shallow. Most folks use john boats, I have 17ft procraft bass boat that I use. Lots of stumps so speed limit is 5mph. I mostly use trolling motor.
Good luck to you if you go.

#5 ·
If you think the fishing is good now you should have gone in there before Floyd took the retaining wall out. It took several years before the ****-retaining wall was fixed and it cost a wad to do it.

The lake is like a great big Y, you can only see the bottom or stem of the Y from the dam. At the ends of the y' you can go into the back swamp areas, go slow and easy, with paddle and you can hear the bohemiths boiling over after big golden shinners.

It is full of bream, crappie and use to be a lot of flyer perch. Not many places left that you can catch them. They are dark color and look like a cross between a bream and crappie.

I cut my teeth on this mill pond and have pulled fish out of there for about 45 years or so.

The top pic is a flier perch and then a crappie

#7 ·
I lived down town metroploitan Deep Run for several years before we moved to Kinston. and my grandaddy lived there. So I would stay wiht him in the summer and we would get up, go fishing, come back and clean fish for grandma to cook for dinner, man those fish were good.

After church a lot of men would go down to the mill and fish, grandaddy had his own boat there and we would take it out fishing. those were the days.

tight lines <*)))))>{

#9 ·
Hey Mr. Hobbs thanks for that info. I have always caught those flier perch. Mr. Carrol always called them fire perch and I have always wondered if they were a real type of fish or a hybrid between the bream and crappie.
Those jokers get fairly big(for a panfish) and are aggressive during the spring and fall.
Thanks for the info
James

Oh yea when I was a kid my cousin and I use to fish from the spill way and there was always this old man that used to come down there, while we were there, with a wash tub and a cane pole. drove an old blue truck I think don't remember the truck to well. But we would be up there fishing for an hour or so not catching anything and he would come in and start catching fish and would always tease us about not holding or mouths right. Never knew is name. Ring any bells with you?

#11 ·
yes sir a few times. Haven't been in there in a while though. A buddy of mine has a little 10 ft bass hunter that we used in there last year. It was cold when we were in there though so didn't do a whole lot But they say there is really good crappie fishing in there.
james

#13 ·
Maxwells has some of the largest racoon perch in the state. Plenty of em and some nice crappie to boot.

Cypress trees, lilly pads, coontail moss, and dark swamp water make for some fine fishing.

How about Nobles Mill off of Hwy 258?? I heard they have finally fixed the leak at the dam and its filling up nice. Its full of bass and all the above. Think they fixed a nice ramp too, just not sure about that.

tight lines <*)))))>{

#14 ·
Nobles is right up the road from my parents house but I have fished in there once. A friend and me went in there on his john boat but the leak was happening and water wasen't but about 2 ft deep.
I have been seeing someone fishing in there about everytime I go by and it looks like more water in there but I haven't checked it out yet.
If I find anything out I will let you know.

#15 ·
Is maxwell's mill in pink hill or closer to albertson? My grandfather is from albertson in northern duplin county and he had quite a few maxwells in his family. Just wondering if there could be any connection. He and his sisters own quite a bit of land in albertson around the NE cape fear. My grandmother was also raised in pink hill, so this place sounds like it might be very close to where you guys are talking about.

#16 ·
Maxwell's Mill is right outside of Pink Hill on Maxwell's Mill road. Just take 11 south out of Pink Hill and you will see the road on your right. If you are coming from Albertson way take Bill Sutton road from 111 just (past the mormon church) go to first intersection on bill sutton. You will be at the intersection of Seth Turner and Bill Sutton. Take a right onto Seth Turner go about a mile and a half and you will see Maxwell's Mill pond right on your left. Once you turn on mill pond road you can see the pond and the campground. once on maxwell's mill road you will turn into a dirt drive for access to pond.
You can't miss it.

To make a long story short it is kinda of in the middle Crappie89.
LoL
James

#20 ·
I knew I should have went fishing today. Went to core creek yesterday and did not do a thing. Tried for bream in the creek and then went to river to try shad and no luck either way. Lots of folks at the campground at core creek and all said the same thing no luck!
The fisheries biologist was there gathering data and he said the shad were there but they weren't biting said the only way they were catching em yesterday was in nets.
I want to hit the mill pond tommorrow but looks like we are going to be in for some rain so don't know how that will affect the fish. Usually they don't bite to well after a hard rain.
If I make it I will post a report
james

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.