NC Angler Forums banner

fishing the cape fear river

8K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Coach D 
#1 ·
does anyone know where the best spot to fish the cape fear river? i don't have a boat so i well be doing some shore fishing! and what is a good bait to use? thanks for any help!

#2 ·
Couple of places in Fayetteville downtown........I use to go to a place on Hwy 87 South of town......drive down several mile and there was a NC Wildlife ramp sign.....take that left and go down old road to the ramp area......plenty of room to walk and catfish......

#3 ·
You can fish at Riverside Marina off of Person street. There are a lot of bank spots there. Also as the last person said you can go down to the wildlife area at William O'Huske Lock and Dam.

I was messing around in the yard today and my wife asked if I wanted to take the boat out. Now this is a woman who I have only been fishing with twice in 25 years of marriage. The last one was Wednesday on our anniversary. We went to Sutton Lake down by Wilmington and got skunked. So for her to ask this was pretty cool. We got to the River around 12:30 or 12:45. We put in at Riverside Marina and went down to where Rockfish Creek comes in. We got 8 large mouth within an hour and a half and got about 5 more that we couldn't get in the boat. Caught all but one on minnows. The other was on a lure that ended up getting lost.

We moved to another spot and had no action at all. She wanted to go back to the creek and I told her someone else would be there by now. So we moved to another spot back toward the marina and anchored. We ended up catching 9 catfish at this spot...none of any real size.

Best thing though is she said she is 'hooked'!!

It was a great day on the Cape Fear and I have a new fishing buddy!

Oh, and I almost forgot to say...she caught 6 large mouth and 2 catfish, so I barely outfished her. She was way ahead until the catfish started biting.

:)

#4 ·
New to the forum, lot's of great info!!

I've fished the Cape Fear off Hwy 87 where Scott suggested about 5 times now. All I suggest is that your very carefull when down there. I met an old man that guides down there and he said that there is alot of trashy people that show up at that boat ramp. He said there has been alot of car breakins and drug dealing down there. I had my wife and kids with me that night and we picked up and left. I went back a few times after that by myself and I didn't have anything crazy happen but there were some trashy people down there. Stuff like drunk boaters running across my lines, drunk boaters running into bank and boat ramp (3 different people) and numerous people doing the nasty in their cars. Whenever I go down there I always carry a pistol. I don't like having to watch my back when I'm fishing so I don't go down there very often and fish. They have a security guard that patrols that area now but I would still be very cautious.

Lots of people fish with eels on the Cape Fear for big catfish. I've used eels a few times but I'm still not used to grabing them. Their so slimmy. You can get them at Gander Mountain when their in season.

If anyone's intrested in learning a secret catfish bait that catches some huge catfish you'll have to go fishing with me. I mainly fish Ft. bragg but we've caught some huge catfish with this bait. I'm always looking for fishing partners. I fish for anything that swims.

Thanks Chris Magnuson
210-215-6835

#7 ·
We meet once a month normally. No fee to join and good folks. Lots of info exchanged at the meetings. The more the merrier. Catch us in June if you can. Just keep an eye out for the meeting times.

#8 ·
Hey Trouttat- About these criminal activities, If folks would begin reporting them and the cops began showing up I there would be a lot less of that stuff to put with. The community watch programs work and there's no reason why we as fisherman and sportsman shouldn't participate in our own community watch. Even if your not sure that a crime is being committed you can report suspicious activity , it will have to be investigated and if they're doing nothing wrong they will left alone. Drug dealers, users, and theives don't like attention and when they begin to receive they go somewhere else. Drunk boating is as dangerous and as operating a car while drinking.

Here's the number to report Wildlife Violation. Report wildlife violations- 1-800-662-7137 It's a good idea to have this programmed into your phone.

#10 ·
Backlash, you are exactly right. Next time I go out there and see some suspicious activity I WILL call. Again, you are exactly right. We as hunters and fisherman need to come together to help fight this kind of crime in OUR woods and on OUR water!! Good lookin

The numbers in my phone now too.

#11 ·
Hey Hemi,

If you know where Arnette park is they have a river trail that you can fish off of. Just park in the parking area marked trail. You'll pass a couple of the frisbee golf holes on the way to the river on the trail. I was told by a friend that a 30+ lber was pulled out of this location about 3 weeks ago.

#12 ·
i talked to the cops about the problems there, they only show up 2 times a day! i dont fell safe with only 2 times a day there! i dont really want to fiah and have to protect my self at the same time! looking for a better spot down the river!

#14 ·
Hey Guys,
New to the FAAN forum but I have found some great advice here on local fishing spots.. Thought I'd share one :) Raven Rock State Park in Lillington, NC... Nice open spot near the end of the trail if you can handle the nearly quarter mile hike to the spot. Went today and caught some nice Channel Cats ansd Blue Cats 14 - 32" on nightcrawlers.

#18 ·
Arnette park is out by The crown coliseum. If you are familiar with the MLK freeway (87 coming from Elizabeth Town) then you have to get off at the exit for the Crown (Stone Mtn Drive I believe). Turn the opposite way from the crown. Should be signs if I remember correctly. Go in there and park at the River Trail. Walk back in and you can fish right in there.

#20 ·
Cape fear is a great place to fish. Bass, Cats etc.
Welcome to the site and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR GREAT COUNTRY!!!

#24 ·
crew chief,

Bragg has some awesome fishing on it. Look into it also. If you like catfishing then the Cape is the place to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.