Thread: cape fear bass

Default cape fear bass

How is the bass fishing on the cape fear river.

Default Re: cape fear bass

Fast and furious.........depending on your location.......water's still a little high and muddy from recent rains.......but a few fish can be caught on creek mouths coming into the river

tight lines <*)))))>{
    Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

hey Jamiel, Fished the Cape on 4/5 near Castle Hayne and had pretty good luck. Just threw a char/white spinner at the edies on the main river and boated 2 but had 4 on in about an hour of fishing. I was moving fast just trying to hit as much bank structure as possible. I enjoy fast fishing and the river was high moving hard to low. I think the Cape Fear has some of the best action around if you get the timing right. Good Luck.
    fishyfishy, and Topsail Angler like this.

Yep, it's not that bad although I've never done really well out on the NE Cape Fear River. However, I've heard that the Cape Fear itself is even worse. I know the area from LD1 to LD2 doesn't look too good to me. No creeks to speak of and if the current is at all running hard it would be almost impossible to fish.
    fishyfishy, and jigghead1 like this.

Me and the wife went Sunday afternoon. We caught 8 large mouth and lost 5 or 6 more we couldn't get in the boat in just over and hour or so. Then we moved and caught 9 small catfish. We caught the bass on minnows at the mouth of Rockfish creek. She caught 6 of the largemouth. She was catching them so fast I couldn't bait my hook because she was hollering for me to get the net every 2 or 3 minutes. Not much size to most of them, but we did have a couple of nice ones that we ate that night! Released all the catfish.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing

Blog Entries

Excellent! Got to love that fast and furious action. Thanks for the report.
    Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

As the water gets back to its normal state the current flow will slow down and make it easier to fish...that is at the upperend towards Fayetteville.....the closer you get to Wilmington you are affected by the tidal flows...and they can really rip the water out or push it back in...especially the Black River....

I catch a lot of bass and bream out of the NE Cape Fear...

tight lines <*)))))>{
    jigghead1 likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

north east cape fear has always produced nice numbers and nice size bass for me. there is a ramp right on 210 that I put in right at the bridge and fish all up and down that stretch. there are also some nice bowfin in there that you will hook from time to time. Both the bass and bowfin (and sometimes even bream) will tear a spinnerbait up.
    jigghead1 likes this.

Best bass fishing is deffinantly below lock 2. They usually hold a tournament at Elwell Ferry every year and have pulled some really nice fish out of that stretch of river.
    There is never enough money to do it right but there is always enough money to do it over.

Quote Originally Posted by capefearfly View Post
    Best bass fishing is deffinantly below lock 2. They usually hold a tournament at Elwell Ferry every year and have pulled some really nice fish out of that stretch of river.
    Hey capefearfly your right on, thats my home town and the bass fishing can be great.Last summer up the river at lock 1 a buddy of mine was catching some trophy size bass right along the dam wall. The water had gotten so salty the bass had moved to the dam to get freshwater.He also was catching alot of small stripers and white bass.