NC Angler Forums banner

Mott Lake- Fort Bragg

Lake 
32K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  Fishing info appreciated 
#1 ·
How Is The Bass And Bream Fishing At Mott Lake . Never Fished It .only Went Their Once With The Guy I Purchased A Boat From. Pretty Place.

#2 ·
Mott lake presents a lot of fishing opportunities. I use to fish this lake a lot and it doesn't get a lot of pressure.. I lived out in the Rockfish community and would shot thru the back roads to Mott lake.

From the ramp and the

1>flats....that whole place to the east is a big shallow flat....at times you can catch a lot of bass up there feeding...also from where flats is on that point...fish that underwater point out towards deeper water....always a great place

2> Cast black with blue tail plastic worms for bass this whole side of the lake. Also about half way down use to be some christmas trees and thye were full of crappie.

3> There is an island underwater style out there lots of good bass fishing..

Bream are every where...just take your time and you should be able to find them.

#4 ·
Scott Hobbs, is there really crappie out at Mott Lkae? Ol Gus of Gus's Bait and Tackle also told me a while back that that was is favorite crappie lake on Ft Bragg. I talked to the guy at Mckellers rod and gun club and he said that they were seeting Mott up to be a crappie lake because they wanted to get rid of them from the managed catfish lakes. I know from the depth finder on my boat there are clearly christmas trees at several areas. I have caught plenty of small bass and small chain pickeral but thats it. Maybe i just havent found them...

#5 ·
Two questions for you guys.
Do you have to go through a gate to access Mott lake? That is a hassle for those of us who are not military affiliated.

Secondly, where is Gus's tackle shop? Thanks for the info in advance.

Reactions: Scott Hobbs
#6 ·
You no longer have to go through a gate to get to Mott lake. It is still on Ft Bragg but not part of garrison so it isnt gated. You can either take wayside road or Hobson road from 401 then make a left onto plank straight to Mott. Also gus's is off cliffday road. Great guy and very knowledgable. He is retired army and been around Ft Bragg and fishing longer than most of us have been alive.

#9 ·
Yep there really are crappie in Mott lake.....along with bass, bream, chain pickeral and a host of other sunfishes......

Guys these lakes have been there for a lot time...I started fishing them in 1973 and until I reitred in 1992 I fished these ponds on Bragg all the time...without fail...

I wouldn't lead you astray,,,,,,now if I tell something and it all has changed like Waldos Beach lake being drained for failure of the dam, I didn't know that..

So..if I tell you a fly can pull a plow, don't ask me how, just hook him up.

tight lines and good luck......<*)))))>{

#10 ·
Reactions: Scott Hobbs
#13 ·
No problem. I don't want someone getting in trouble because they forgot something. Mott sounds like a great place to fish. Just hate driving all the way across town to get to it. Ya know it takes a half hour to get through fayetteville anymore with good traffic.

#14 ·
Coach thanks for posting that info on Fort Bragg lakes. I have fished there in the past at Camp McCall but can anyone tell me about access to Bragg if you are not military connected. I know I used to go anywhere on post I wanted but that was before 9/11. I know you must have a special permit or licence but will they allow you through the guard check points if you are going fishing?

#15 ·
You have to go through one of the two checkpoints where they search vehicles. I've done it quite a few times but it gets to be hassle when there's a line to get on base.

#18 ·
I was looking at the map and I was wondering if you come down 401 and up Hobson road, like was mentioned in an earlier post, do you still have to go through the checkpoint? The checkpoints aren't too bad, but when you are as impatient as I am and especially ready to wet a hook, it can be frustrating

#23 ·
There are Crappie in Mott Lake and the Fort Bragg biologist are stocking Mott with Crappie. Because fisherman have been bringing in Crappie from other lakes in their own in prompt to Stocking (Illegal) programs putting these Crappie in some lakes that won't support Crappie and the Other species that are there. So, in order to discourage this activity and to provide Fort Bragg Fisherman with a place to catch Crappie they are managing Mott Lake for Crappie , now.

#24 ·
10-4 backlash....there use to be a good population of crappie in that lake...not sure about nowdays....

It and maybe McArthur would be good lakes because of the size of them...neither of these lake really get any pressure......heck hardly any of the lakes get any pressure.....

I use to go to these ponds and be the only soul there all day long.....it was nice..

tight lines <*)))))>{

#26 ·
I'm not familiar with the area. Do you have to go inside a gate to get to Keist? Non military here so Gates can be a hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.