Thread: Fin-Nor spinning reel for grouper??

Default Fin-Nor spinning reel for grouper??

I am currently shopping for a good combo rod & reel for grouper. A Fin-nor ocean spinning reel in combination with a shimano fast action rod rated 80 to 200lbs was recommended. The reel will hold 500 yds of 80 lb braided line. This is the first I've heard of a spinning outfit for grouper! I'm also considering a shimano tld 25 with a good stout rod. Any opinions? Also, any opinions for any other rod and reel combos for grouper under the $200 would be appreciated.

Administrator
    Captains Club
    US Armed Services Veteran
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fin-Nor spinning reel for grouper??

Penn Senator 6/0 with a broom stick type rod - pick a brand. you want lots of drag in the reel and you get that with the Senator but still have a decent retrieve ratio -

That's my preference for grouper digging (until I started freestyle jigging anyway) Other brands are fine though.

Here's what you look for:

Reel - 30 pounds of drag or more - you'll need the drag to get that big grouper off the bottom before he can run into a hole. I lock the drag down when grouper fishing. They usually don't have far to go to get in a hole - they get in a hole - GAME OVER.

Rod - stiff (versus fast action) - don't need movement in the rod, rather you want to jerk up the rod and not have much flex - see above about hole.

Line: Braid is best for grouper fishing as it has little to no stretch. If this is for grouper fishing (not trolling) You don't need 500 yards of braid. Take whatever depth you plan to fish times x 3 then put the rest on in mono. So if you figure 200 feet of water is the deepest you plan to fish (that would be over 40 miles out around here, Al) then 200 yards of Braid is enough but put mono behind it so the braid is out close to the outer part of the spool to get the highest retrieve ratio. Braid is over 20 cents a yard when you get to the 50/65 pound class so save yourself some money.
    Big Al, dreamingofsurf, and sundrop like this.

Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

Mike- That makes it much easier to narrow it down. Also helps eliminate the possibility of a costly mistake! Thanks, your like a fishing encyclopedia at ones finger tips. Don't worry, I won't take advantage too often, but I might drive you crazy once in a while!!

Administrator
    Captains Club
    US Armed Services Veteran
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Mike- That makes it much easier to narrow it down. Also helps eliminate the possibility of a costly mistake! Thanks, your like a fishing encyclopedia at ones finger tips. Don't worry, I won't take advantage too often, but I might drive you crazy once in a while!!
    Ask anytime Al - good to talk to you on the phone last night too. After almost 50 years of fishing, most of it right here on the NC Coast, I'm starting to get the hang of it , but still lots for me to learn too.

Hey speaking of a fishing encyclopedia, I have started one on my website. Not much there yet but it is growing. (go to main page and select Wiki on the menu bar).
    Check out my website: TopsailAngler.com for information on fishing the Topsail area. Follow me on Facebook.
    TackleMonkey.com - the LOCAL tackle shop for the NCAngler.com online community!

I glanced at Wiki and found it to be interesting and informative. I immediately found some answers to questions I had. Good job and sight!!! I'm sure it will be an informative sight for many.
    Topsail Angler likes this.

Fin nor offshore 95 - 600yds of 100lb braid, I think max drag is around 60+ lbs.
    Big Al likes this.

Rob S--Thanks for that info! From what I've heard and read about it, its an excellent reel capable of doing a job on grouper with no problem. Plenty of drag capability (as you pointed out) and very large gears. It should be matched to a specific type of rod bringing the total price of the package to about $300 with tax. I can catch grouper with a less expensive combo and still get quality and reliability. I have a meaty beef stick that simply needs a reel. Probably gonna put a Penn 114H on it and save a few bucks. The grouper will taste better when caught on a Penn and they'll be a better buy too!!