NC Angler Forums banner

Jerkbait vs twitchbait?

14K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  jerry condrey 
#1 ·
So I love fishing mr17's. Have had a lot of success with them the past couple of years and am very confident in them. On the other hand I tried out the x-rap a couple of years ago and did not like them. At the time I had no clue how to fish them and havnt tried it since. Over the years i have seen reports up here with people making nice catches using x-raps and other jerkbaits. I have done some research and looked up videos on how to fish them properly. After having learned the right way to fish them my question is this. Whats the big difference between an x-rap and an mr17. It seems you use very similar technique to fish them and they both have similar action in the water. Whats the difference?

#2 ·
I fish them exactly the same way. The difference? Jerkbaits suspend a lot better. A 17mr will keep sinking (I've snagged bottom in 20 feet of water) a jerk bait will suspend in place. There are times like late winter when it's really cold that I crush trout on small jerk baits like 3ds 70sp minnows or xrap 6's and even Ultralight minnow 4's (ULM4) but can't buy a bite on a 17 or even a smaller 14. For later winter trout fishing, give me a 3ds minnow over anything else.

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. Another question. When i look at jerkbaits online it usually just states the running depth. Which i assume is what depth it will stay at on a steady retrieve. How do you manage its depth when twitching it back? I know with the 17mr i can usually count in my head and know what depth im at. That along with retrieve speed and how long i pause i can usually keep it in the range im shooting for. Whats the trick for the x-raps and such?

#8 ·
Watch videos of KVD Kevin Van Dam the master of the jerkbait. The trick is jerking with a slack line so the bait stays in the strike zone longer and not jump forward 3-4', you jerk and don't use the reel so your not taking up so much line'you take up the slack in between pulls. KVD looks like he is rippin it like there is no tomorrow. I have tried this the last couple weeks and I'm elated but I don't pull like he does but a slower version of the same technique.
I haven't caught a fish on a MR17 or Twichin Rap. Been using Xraps, Shadow Raps and a Lucky Craft pointer78sp.

#4 ·
There's not really a trick. The max depth is what it's going to run with thin diameter line on a long cast. The only way to get it deeper to to go thin in line and either troll it way back or go to heavier hooks or suspend dots. Cast the bait out, give it a couple of hard twitches to get it down and then pause the bait. From there, work it just like a 17. Twitch it here and there and pause. The colder the water, the slower and lighter the twitch. Sometimes a really slow steady retrieve will also get bit.

#6 ·
Thanks for the help guys. As im not a big fan of fishing in the cold and I dont have the patience that is required for the fishing this time of year ill probably give them a go in spring around mid to late march.

Also think ill give buzzbaits a try for striper on the Pungo around that time. Figure if they work for bass in fresh water they probably work for stripers in the brackish/salt as well. Trying to expand my horizons.

#9 ·
Try the KVD jerkbaits. They've been very effective speck catchers for me (except for this year where nothing has :() I think the fish like the slim profile and they're not as expensive as the LC Pointer, Megabass Vision & similar. (Both awesome baits but $$$)

#13 ·
Here's my take on when to throw hard plastic lures.

First you have to understand the differences between "twitch baits" & "jerk baits" / "sinking" & "suspending"
MirrOlures MR17, MR18, TT's & 52's are "sinking twitch baits"
Rapala X-raps is a "suspending jerk bait".
They also make them in deep divers, sinking & floating. (another topic for another time.)

Now you need to know the differences between a "twitch" & a "jerk" motion or action.
A "twitch" is a short wrist only movement, that makes the lure move a little laterally (side to side flashing) adding a pause then continues to sink.
A "jerk" is a long forearm pull (maybe a foot), that makes the lure dive, wiggle & suspend.
Sometimes I give it 3 or 4 hard jerks to get the depth needed.

This is my basic understanding, more factors are need to be considered when & where to use these hard plastic lures. Other considerations are: current movement, depth, wind direction & speed, presents of bait & type of bait, searching or catching, summer, fall or winter fishing. All needed keys to unlocking the secret of a good day or not.

Hope this helps. ........... ICM

#15 ·
You are gonna have a hard time catching stripers on a buzzer. Not saying it cant be done but I have thrown em where they are thick and I think I may have caught 1 striper over the years on a buzzer. Heck it might be zero. cant remember if I landed the fish or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.