Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MacArthur Lake on Bragg

Default MacArthur Lake on Bragg

I'm going to look at a boat in Hope Mills and it looks promising. If I get it, I'm going to go see what I can get on MacArthur, I've heard of some big bass coming out of there.

Guy at the Rod and Gun club told me that they stocked it with 3000 fish from a lake they closed out by spring lake.

I was going to go to Smith, but he said it was closed.

Any tips?

Default Re: MacArthur Lake on Bragg

Go straight towards the back of the lake...use to be some wood back there....shallow water techniques should yield some bass....also hit the lilly pads in the area...use to be some pretty water in this lake and several nice lilly pad fields...

tight lines >*)))))>{
    JacksonHandy likes this.

Friends, Fishing, Fellowship..RED X ANGLER

I fish MacArthur alot. I almost always catch one or two 5 plus pounders out there (knock on wood). I've caught some bass that go 6-7 plus pounds. There are some very good spots out there. If you have a fish finder, find the weed line in about 8 feet of water and fish it with a plastic worm (cotton candy, motor oil or pumpkin). I also fish the the wood and stumps toward the front and the sides of the lake. Scott Hobbs also had a great idea about fishing the back of the lake in the wood but it is really hard to get back there with a trolling motor because of all the weeds. I also like to fish the north side of the point that sticks out with a jointed minnow or rattle trap. The whole east side of the lake holds some nice bass. Look for the log sticking out of the water on the east side toward the front of the lake, it hold some huge bass. I also like to fish around the back of the lake by the boat ramp on the west side. I fish the weed line in 8-9 feet of water, always a few bass willing to bite. The bass love jointed minnows, plastic worms and rattle traps on MacArthur.

The bass are still on there beds right now so please either leave them alone or if you do catch them please put them back.

I have only kept one bass out of MacArthur but it was a monster. I still feel bad about keeping her but darn she will look real good on my wall. If we all put back the majority of the bass we catch we will continue to have great fishing on this small lake but for some reason people go out there and think it is a meat fishery and keep all the big ones. One guy I know kept two 7 pounders in one day, what a disappointment. Please be respectful of the fishery everyone!!

I gave up all this info because I think everyone should be able to go out and catch a nice bass or two but please be courteous of the lake and put everything back. It's not Lake Fork, this lake can't afford to loss a ton of bass.

Tight Lines

10-4 on the big bass....those big ones don't taste that great anyway...if you want to eat some keep the smaller size ones they taste the best....

Release the big mamas to reproduce and keep plenty of bass in the lake...

tight lines <*)))))>{

Do you have to have military ID to fish on MacArthur? it is practically in my backyard but since it is on the base I didn't know

You have to go to the Game Warden station on Ft Bragg and get a Ft Bragg fishing license to fish these ponds...

tight lines
    baitandfly likes this.

Gotta love Google earth. The Ft. Bragg fishing license is $25, or you can get the combined hunt and fish for $40. To hunt on Ft. bragg though you need to go through the orentation class, but not for fishing. You also have to have a NC license to fish and hunt on Ft. Bragg.
    baitandfly, and Scott Hobbs like this.

The hunting part you must have a Hunter Safety Class and 4 hours of that on Ft Bragg hunting safety....

Oh yea.....google earth and the De Lorme map systems give the sportsman the real advantage to find those fishing spots that are hidden in plain sight.

tight lines <*)))))>{
    baitandfly likes this.

Sorry it took me so long to thank everyone for the info

Thanks Scott for the info on the De Lorme mapping system, I use Google Earth frequently to find fishing holes in the area.... I have yet to fish MacArthur Lake, but it sounds like I may have to try this one out! Thank you to Trouttat for reminding us all to share in what we catch, most Lakes on Bragg have a daily limit and it shocks me to see what some of the anglers take home with them....

Went thru Hope Mills last Thursday and looks like they might be getting ready to fix the lake and bring it back up..

I remember when the Hope Mills boat dealer would put boats in the lake for you to check out.....pull em out and even change motors on boats to see what you like..

Well it looks like all the 411 is out on Mac Authur now, I might just have to give it a try myself. Thanks everyone.

Jackson- How did the boat pan out?

i have a good report for one of the lakes on bragg! the lake right before McKellar's lodge! i think the name is McKellars lake! i have the inside scope on how to caught some good catfish from that lake! i was talking to a man there and while we where talking he caught 5 catfish in 45 min! he told me the insite to the lake there and told me what is the best bait to use! i am going to fish there on saturday and i hope to get some great pics! wish me luck!
    Scott Hobbs likes this.

Get er done.....

07 Hemi thunderroad, I go out there all the time. We catch some nice catfish out there. If you talked to the man I think you did then your on the right road. If he gave away the secret bait, then your a lucky man. Make sure you keep it too yourself. I made the mistake of giving it away and we went from catching 20"-36" catfish to catching 12" catfish in a week. Good luck.

Tight lines
    Trouttat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast