NC Angler Forums banner

Parking and fishing at Fort Macon

17K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  pangedude 
#1 ·
I've been looking at Fort Macon on Google Earth (boy don't you know the Union wished they could do THAT!).

I am coming and want to give the sharks a try, and want to fish near (not necessarily "in") deeper water, which appears to be the backside of the "horn" there at Fort Macon.

Is there easy access to this part of Fort Macon? Is it as long of a walk as it looks?

#2 ·
It's a good walk Matt, that's where I always fish. If you have a surf cart loaded down your going to hate life carrying it through the deep sand as we figured out 2 days in a row until I started using the noggin. There is a trail you can take, I highlighted it in a picture. You use the road, easy to pull then there is a gravel road again much easier than the sand. I have my own spot I prefer, it's on the "beach" side right beside the jetty, there is a huge gut between the big sandbar and the jetty, a bait palace of sorts... it's only 30yds out too and where we were catching out Hatteras blues earlier in the year. FWIW I never had any luck closer towards the coast guard side of macon, but I would like to try fishing the huge troughs there. Looks like you may need about a 100yd cast to get out there. You can't wade very far in the surf, it gets deep in a hurry.

Attachments

#3 ·
Wow, thanks for the pic!

I have a feeling we'll be out there on the falling tide that afternoon after it's warmed up a bit. Depends on what happens that morning at Bogue Inlet pier. Part of me prefers the surf fishing since you can keep sharks and landing big stuff is easier.

Then again, pier=no sand, nice breeze, easier walk.

I dunno. Either way we'll have fun.

#4 ·
I personally prefer an incoming tide surf fishing. But we have to deal with what we are dealt when time is available!

Reactions: Mattfish
#5 ·
I'm with you on that one for sure, however I want to catch the rising tide that morning out on the pier. I have yet to catch a spanish mac and it's killing me to just put one or a dozen in the cooler. Not to mention some nice chopper blues. So for the morning, Bogue Inlet it's gonna be!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.