NC Angler Forums banner

Youtube Tackle reviews (Rant)

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  jerry condrey 
#1 ·
What is with all the kids doing equipment reviews? I am looking for a new bait caster for flipping, considering Lew's as I've never owned one. Every freaking review is some 12 year old kid who'd Dad bought him a $130 reel. "This is a really nice reel" as he pulls it out of the box.... How does he know? He has never even fished with it.... They are reading off the product info sheets, I can do that... Maybe I should start a youtube channel...

Ok, sorry. I just had to get that off my chest. I just can't trust some 12 year old kid when dropping over $100 for a reel. A couple of them are good reviews, they did a good job really. However; I just can't take them seriously when spending my own money.

end rant.

#4 ·
I mostly disagree with what you said. Us "kids" (I'm 15 near 16) who make youtube videos are honestly just in it for fun. None of us make big money, have huge sponsors, or get tons of views. I have a few sponsors, and let me tell you from experience, if you get something free from one of them, you are doing pretty good. Yeah, we may make some money off of youtube, but after a few months, I have yet to reach 50 dollars, even though I have a video with 11k views, and I am nearing 200 subscribers.

I'm just ranting because us young guys don't get much respect. A few weeks ago I had someone in a center console carolina skiff is gonna drive by my electric 12 foot jon boat, with a full livewell, 2 guys, tackle, and rods, over 20 times, on the more "electric" side of the lake, progressively making bigger swells, eventually up to 3 foot, ON PURPOSE, almost sinking us. I know that guy wasn't you, but still, many fisherman nowadays dont respect the next generation.

Sorry for ranting just the fact that what you said kinda triggered it lol.

#6 ·
I mostly disagree with what you said. Us "kids"
Touche` I didn't get any respect when I was your age either. I watch a lot of j0j0barz33, kid knows how to fish bass. My real problem is with multiple kids "reviewing" equipment and obviously have never even used it. Again, "This is an awesome reel" as they are pulling it out of the box.

I'm always quite aware of what is around me when out on the Yak. Sorry but your age likely has little to do with somebody out on the lake.

What's your youtube channel? I wouldn't mind watching some of your stuff. Appreciate your feedback.

***Edit, nevermind, I think I found your channel

#5 ·
sort of the "problem" with posted reviews of just about anything IMO. Anybody with a camera and a connection can post a review so eventually there is just way yonder too much to sort through and it becomes worthless information. I have much better luck with the Amazon model, where there are many reviews posted about a specific product over time. An item with 3 positive reviews really doesn't have my attention, but when I see several dozen or more reviews over a period of time, I tend to put more trust in that to whatever degree.

Maybe Consumer Reports can add a category for Fishing Gear? :D

#7 ·
Yeah, you have to take it all with a grain of salt. I'm more looking for a single issue mentioned numerous times and try and base a decision off of that.

I watched the only 3 youtube video reviews on the same model and they were all complete crap reviews. I bought what I was looking for on my lunch hour so it's done. I'll find out Friday if it was a decent purchase. Or if I get a wild hair and walk to the mud hole across the street after stringing it tonight.

#8 ·
If the review videos bug you I can only imagine how you feel about the unboxing videos. haha

We have gotten to a point where we are so lazy we want to see someone open a box of something we may eventually buy. I get that people want to see what's included but do we really need multiple unboxing videos of the same exact thing? Hard to believe there's a demand for that.

#10 ·
Buy what you think you like and use it, if you dont like it pretty quick, use the internet to sell it. These days pro staffers and 30 percenters are a dime a dozen in the internet age. Put on their jersey, flashy outfit and set up the go pro, post a video telling how great things are... boom... fishing pro (promotor, not professional).

#11 ·
The problem is when they label an unboxing video a "review". I'm sorry, but any reel can be the best ever while it's sitting on your kitchen table. Use it for a few months, dunk it several times, drop it, get it scratched up, respool it with three or four types of line, and catch a few dozen fish on it, then tell me how you like it.

I'm guilty of watching several videos on a reel I was contemplating buying, and NONE of them showed a reel that was even attached to a rod yet. I'm plenty capable of holding a new reel in my hand and looking it at! I want to know how they like it after a few months of use. Broken handles? Grinding bearings? Jerky line guide? Drag that won't hold a bluegill?

#12 ·
I agree with the kids part, which is why I dont understand why you're listening to the words coming out of their mouth or at least don't put on the appropriate ear filter.

The best "review" you're going to get from a youtube video is so stop listening to their voice and try to see how the reel operates. LIke it or not a lot of the younger people on youtube could probably fish circles around me since they do it almost every day as where I must pay bills during the week. Watch them cast it, watch the sensitivity of the pole, listen to the drag, watch them adjusting the drag when their fighting etc. Just my 2 cents

#13 ·
For what it's worth I bought a shimano Citica about eight years ago at gander mountain, "left handed" retrieve. Think it was about seventy bucks on sale. They have been redisigned and are much more expensive now of course. It's been good to me...caught lots of big bass on it spooled with fifteen pound mono, lots of grass and submerged timber where I fish. Can haul the fish out of cover without break offs. Never had it serviced and it still is very smooth, granted I don't fish with it more than a few times a month these days. Hope you find a reel you will be happy with! Reviews are questionable, both good and bad. Never heard of freebies from companies based on good reviews. Will take them with a bigger grain of salt in the future.

#14 ·
Bassmaster you should have gotten the boat numbers and reported him. Boat owner is responsible for their wake. So noway could he deny his intent. Also I am sure you have a phone to get a video of the jerk.
If somebody was doing that to my kid, I know there would be a meeting at the ramp.

#15 ·
I just got signed with Ardent Reels. I will no be posting reviews until I have actually put some time on the equipment. Unlike many others who will start talking up a product as soon as they get the nod. I will say this. The reels feel good, seem smooth out of the box, and come with a 3 yr warranty that is real! The reels are designed and distributed in the US and closely monitored for quality during production in China (which is very common even for high end reels now). I have loved my Shimanos but now have some up for sale in the classifieds. I will not be getting rid of them all I assure you! Just my baitcasters (Caenans)

Reactions: Sp00ks
#17 ·
Son, it's not your age. No one respects anyone anymore. It's all about themselves these days. So don't take it too personal.
In the world of fishing, if you're young, people tend to feel like you've not had enough practical experience to know what you're talking about, although you probably do. All will come in time, just be patient. What the fool was doing in his boat was both reckless and dangerous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.