Thread: Lake Lynn - Raleigh

Default Lake Lynn - Raleigh

Hi - has anyone fished lake Lynn in Raleigh? I'm thinking of renting an apartment there and I'm trying to figure out if you can fish there, and whats in the lake, regulations, etc. I tried searching the NC conservation website but couldn't find anything. Thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lake Lynn - Raleigh

I used to live fairly close and I've taken kids fishing off the bridge on the eastern side for bluegill and caught a small bass or two on plastic worms and spinnerbaits. Saw a big LM come up and take a swipe at a muskrat once just off a bridge on the western side when I used to walk/run over there. Shouldn't be any special regulations. I used to see canoes and jon boats chained to trees at the water's edge behind some of the complexes. Haven't been over there in many years though.

Thanks for the confirmation. That must have been a big LM to swipe at a muskrat! Us northerners are used to LM up to 5 lbs at best.

Blog Entries

I don't think there was any danger for the muskrat, just some territorial issues. Muskrat was swimming across a short cove and the bass came right up to the surface behind it, swirled and headed back down... Maybe checking to see if there were any musrat-ling (or ducklings) in formation. But definitely a whopper bass.

mbhw,

I was wondering the same myself. I've to the city of Raleigh's website and there's no info at all regarding fishing regulations at Lake Lynn. Care to tag team it?

LH28

I've fished Lake Lynn a few times . There's def monster largemouth's in there , biggest I caught was 5 lbs on a pig and jig , but my boy caught a 8.2 on the digital scales about a month ago there , he caught that sucker on a senko plastic bait . I might be up there today fishing it , there's a lot of good spots to fish there but most of them are better to get to on a boat .
    LunkerHunter28, and mbhw like this.

lunkerhunter28 - as soon as I move down I'll be happy to take you up on it
    LunkerHunter28 likes this.

Cool Re: Lake Lynn - Raleigh

My son caught this 4 lbs bass at Lake Lynn the other day . He hit on a SuperFluke by zoom .
    Jeffonc, and mbhw like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DANNYBOY View Post
    My son caught this 4 lbs bass at Lake Lynn the other day . He hit on a SuperFluke by zoom .
    Nice fish.
    I've always wondered, I go down there and jog, (well fat guy waddle) but never see anyone fishing.
    The two john boats I see usually have enough leaks in them, I don't think I'd want to sit in em.
    But there are some canoes etc etc.

I should steal one of my parents spare yaks and try fishing from it again.

As for renting an apt there, make sure to check the neighborhood first. Some of those don't look to be the best.

Good luck.

I've fished lake lynn for about 5 years now. I've had some absolutely great days there, sometimes pulling in 4-6 catfish and bass per hour off a single shore spot using a tightline and night crawlers. The three prize catches I've had there are a 10 lb flathead cat, a 6 lb largemouth, and a 2 lb WHITE catfish. Looked like the white catfish was an albino that was released from an aquarium tank and grew within the lake. Doubt it's there anymore as it's color would make it susceptable to the many heron and alligator snappers in that lake.

Just as much as the fishing, lynn is great for people watching (a paved track surrounds the lake) and fuana observation. You'll see beavers, herons, alligator snappers, thousands of turtles and you can catch some great bass, catfish, crappie, and other pans.

There are a few drawbacks: Don't take anything out of the lake to eat, the water is nasty since the lake is surrounded by apartment complexes that you get runoff from. Also- it's pretty competitive fishing for those who know the right spots. In the winter, the lake is inundated with migratory seagulls from the coast, which annoy the heck out of you.

I lived in one of the apartments that looked out over the lake for two years and in a townhouse not far from the lake the past eight years. I've jogged/walked many miles around the track at the lake and seen lots of people fishing. Bass, bream, catfish, crappie--all in the lake.

If you have access to a boat, take advantage of it. I've fished from the banks there several times with success, but there a lot of spots that I couldn't get to that looked really good. If you're going after largemouths, anything tex-rigged and shallow cranks usually work well (in the summer months at least).

I've also had some nice success with top water poppers and bright green 4" plastic worms around the east bank. Trying to fish off the bridge is fruitless since there is so much shallow water wherever the bridges are located.