"Basemaps" on Lowrance
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Basemaps" on Lowrance

Default "Basemaps" on Lowrance

Hi all, I had the opportunity to get a Hook 7 Lowrance unit - it has sonar, downimaging, and gps. The gps/maps comes with basic data that Lowrance calls "Basemaps." This is my first fish finder with gps. I realize there are micro SD card options such as Navionics to add highly detailed data to the unit, but I have a question for anyone with experience with the basemaps. The owner's manual and the Lowrance website doesn't provide a lot of detail on the features within their basemaps. Does this data include the navigational features at the coast - locations of red and green markers and etc? My friend's garmin unit has all of that (but no detailed contours like on navionics) and it is real nice for planning routes while you are already on the boat.

Thanks for any comments!
    Jay

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A base map pretty much shows a basic outline of the lake... little if any additional info (contours, depths, buoys, hazards ect). If you were to buy a unit preloaded with maps such as Insight, they are comparable to a navionics map.
    Jay likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    A base map pretty much shows a basic outline of the lake... little if any additional info (contours, depths, buoys, hazards ect). If you were to buy a unit preloaded with maps such as Insight, they are comparable to a navionics map.
    Thanks Neilslure. I had it on Jordan on Saturday and it was like you said. But I found a video of someone playing around with a similar model, and Lake Erie had some low-res contours and also navigation markers. Last night I went to go play around with it on the boat in the driveway just to get more familiar with it, and the unit wouldn't turn on! You could tell it was getting power because the screen would flicker when I turned on power at the boat's console. Once, the bootup screen was just barely visible but didn't go any further, and another attempt it beeped and the screen flashed white. But most of the time it would show no response other than a flicker on the screen when I toggled the boat's main power to the unit. The batteries are all charged up and other electricals on the boat work just fine.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I had same thing happen with Elite 5 last year. Lowrance replaced it under warranty. Their manuals and web site leave a whole lot to be learned, lol. Mine supposedly has gps and routing, but I haven't figured out how it works as yet. As long as I can see the bottom, I'm happy with it though.
    Jay likes this.

meenyt - do you have any idea on the cause? With my luck there is a short somewhere and when i put a second unit in, that will get fried too!

The base maps are exactly that, base maps. Very basic and you have no idea how old the data is on them. Usually not a lot of added details (contours, markers, etc.). The Navionics cards you can buy for that unit (Navionics+ especially) will give you all those contours, plus the markers, marinas, fishing spots, other places of interest, etc. plus the opportunity to update the charts.
    Jay likes this.

Hi all, so the dealer where i got the lowrance checked it out and swapped me out a new one. I hooked it up at home to make sure it worked. I did a quick sweep across NC on the gps map - Randleman lake is not there (not terribly surprising), Mackintosh is there and it even has contour lines. Jordan lake is there but it does not have any contour lines. That's really bizarre to me! And then at the coast, all the major navigation buoys are there and depths and channels are marked with numbers and shadings in the nautical chart style with some contour lines. Areas are even labelled by name all over the Cape Lookout area, and the Neuse has contours and labels for areas like Garbacon shoal. Go figure...

Check this link out and see if any of those lakes (Randleman, Jordan, etc.) show up any better. May at least help you when it comes to planning.
    https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...key=_masEpzchN

How do you like the unit? I have found a hook 7 on sale for $399 with map card, hdi transducer and screen cover. Seems like a good deal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    How do you like the unit? I have found a hook 7 on sale for $399 with map card, hdi transducer and screen cover. Seems like a good deal.

I think its a great deal, I think its a great way to spend $399 especially with the extras. After being out with it a bunch of times I can tell you a few things. But first realize the unit I had before was an extremely basic Hummingbird Piranhamax. Anything above that seems hi-tech and fancy in comparison.

The 7 inch screen is large and bright and easy to see. When you split the screen into two or all three modes everything is still quite clear, but I usually keep it in two modes. I'm not sure how important down-imaging is compared to the regular sonar, but it does give you a different view to help interpret. Its a bit easier to see the rocks and individual fish on the bottom.

The basemaps is pretty random in terms of coverage - if you are getting a map card that would be nice. It is certainly something I want to keep in mind for myself. Jordan Lake is very low-resolution (10 foot contours or more?) on the basemap. Randleman lake isn't even on there (it shows you being on land). But Mackintosh of all places has a fairly detailed map. I have also had it at the coast, and the map does a decent job of showing the area - the channel in the Back Sound between Harkers Island and Shackleford, all the way to Cape Lookout seems to be accurately marked. The navigational buoy locations are clearly marked on the map as well.

There are tweaks to the settings you can learn about from the manual but mainly from playing around. Waypoints are sort of self-explanatory - I think you can name them but I haven't tried it. I also haven't tried punching in gps numbers to find published spots - I think you can do it, but it is probably tedious without a real keypad.

I think it does everything one could hope to have, especially for the price. A couple of the issues - the main rubber buttons on the side panel can get stuck easily. And so far the unit has froze up about 2-3 times and needed a reboot. There isn't side-imaging, but I think you can get a unit with that option? One other thing it lacks is a tide table feature, which would be really nice to have.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post

I have the hook 7 on my boat works great! Only think is its kinda small I'd rather have a hds 9 of 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought the Hook 7 with the Lake Insight map card for less than $400. Almost $600 at Bass Pro last time I was in there.

I'm curious as to how well that Lake Insight map card does.

I actually made a thread about it and didn't realize that it was here, where I found my info.....I could have just added to this thread.

The only thing I'm nervous about is putting more holes in my hull as it doesn't look like my current transducer bracket holes will line up with the new one.

The boat is in the shop getting its "break in service" done and I'm waiting to hear back on whether or not they can slap on one of those small blocks on the back so I can move the transducer around if I need to, without putting 3400 tiny holes in the boat.

I'm not a fan of holes in a boat unless they're designed to be there. I'm funny like that......haha

Something you MAY want to look into if that Insight card doesn't thrill you is the special Navionics is running with the Hook 7's. Since you bought it before July 31, you can $50 back when you buy the Navionics Regions card (NC is in the East Region) for $149. Just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebass View Post
    Something you MAY want to look into if that Insight card doesn't thrill you is the special Navionics is running with the Hook 7's. Since you bought it before July 31, you can $50 back when you buy the Navionics Regions card (NC is in the East Region) for $149. Just something to keep in mind.
    Thanks for the headsup

Another question for those who may have a hook 7.....

I need to run a RAM mount. I've searched and have found some answers but nothing detailing what they did to mount the Hook 7 to the RAM mount. Anyone done this with the Hook 7? Links? Pics? Thanks!

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast