NC Angler Forums banner

Another at the boat ramp question....

5K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  Fishin with brown dog 
#1 ·
We came in this Saturday evening from boating in Morehead at the State dock. It was packed and there was about 15 boaters waiting to take out. The ramps were full. So this is a procedure question...

Do you usually pull up to the dock, tie up, get out and go get your truck. Or do you drop someone off at the dock and go out into a "holding pattern" 100 yards out in the channel and wait until your partner backs the trailer in the water?

The reason I ask is we pulled up, saw there was an "open space" at the ramp, no boat there and no truck on the ramp, so we pulled up to the dock and tied off and went to get the truck. Then I see some guy backing his trailer into the water (where we're tied up), then he gets out cursing and ranting about his buddy is "out yonder" (points to one of the boats about 100 or 150 yards away in the water). Then he proceeds to tell us we need to move because he can't get his boat on his trailer with us in the way. He was shouting obscenities and there were some women and small children around and someone called the cops.

I went ahead and moved off and let him load his boat because he couldn't load his boat with mine in the way, and I obviously couldn't back my trailer down the ramp with his already in the water. I guess it was a "mexican standoff" and I got the feeling from his cursing and ranting that he wasn't going to relent. Two Coast Guard police and the local police showed up right as he was driving off, and they were talking to the family with children about the guy. After all the ruckus was over the news reporter pulled up and rolled down her window and asked me what was going on because they heard a 9-1-1 call over their scanner of a "fight at the boat ramp" LOL. (Wasn't any fighting just a lot of cussing from that one guy). I told her wasn't any fight just some confusion about who was in line "first" at the ramp.

I usually pull the boat up to the dock, tie off, get out and go get the truck, back in down, load the boat, and then drive off. If I've been doing it wrong, I can certainly change. I guess it hasn't ever been so crowded before to be an issue. The thing is my wife can't handle the boat docking, especially if there's any wind or current, and she can't back the trailer down the ramp. And I can't drive the boat and back the trailer at the same time, so going into a "holding pattern" out in the channel until I see my truck backing down the ramp really isn't an option. On one hand I can't see what benefit it would be to back your trailer down the ramp when you can clearly see there's a boat tied up there so you can't load your boat, and on the other hand, I can see the extra 5 minute delay of a tied up boat awaiting a trailer to come if there's more than one capable person on board.

Was this guy just a butt hole and in too much of a hurry to get out? Should he have tied his boat up and then waited for his buddy with the truck/trailer to come, or was he right to send his buddy off into a "holding pattern" and leave a big empty spot that someone was obviously going to pull into. I had no way of knowing buddy was circling the airport in a holding pattern and he was gone to fetch his trailer. I just saw an empty ramp and an empty dock. Anyone woulda probably pulled into it. It just happened to be me.

Is there any "official rules" about who has the "right of way" at a state boat ramp?

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't seen or heard of any official rules for right of way at public ramps. My feeling is that guy was rude and inconsiderate, and could have simply explained his boat/guy was in a holding pattern and asked you to move aside momentarily while he quickly loaded, done deal. IMO, I think you were both attempting to do it right with what you had, he just blew a gasket unnecessarily, probably got skunked.

#3 ·
If I am by myself I tie up. If I am with someone who can back a trailer or drive a boat I drop them off at the ramp and pull off waiting for them to back down. No official procedure really. The only think that irks me at the ramp is when people load their boat while they are backed down the ramp.

#4 ·
The other person had gotten to the ramp before you, so they were ahead of you in the line to pull out. If you tie up and block a ramp and you are not the next in line, then you are at fault for blocking the ramp for others.

That said, the issue at many ramps is there is not adequate tie up space for boaters who are alone or not with others who are capable. Either way, the person who was attempting to use the ramp should have just politely asked you to move so they could load up.

There have been many times when I have experienced this scenario and usually I try to explain the situation and if need be, I will pull out and then help the person who is either alone or without another capable person onboard. Yelling and/or abusing others is no help to anyone in anyway.

This past weekend I helped a couple load their boat and afterwards the wife walked up to me and thanked me, saying that she usually gets yelled at by her husband when putting in or out. The stress of loading or unloading an expensive toy apparently can bring out the worst in people.

#5 ·
Sounds like the hostile guy had a reasonable request except for the temper and outbursts. You did the right thing by just getting your boat out of the way and let him finish his trailering, that's what I would have done. Crowded days are tough for sure. The holding pattern deal is a good idea but there's no air traffic controller on the radio calling everybody in. Several times I've been in a holding pattern with some other boats, only to see someone come ripping in from the lake, tie off at the dock, and then get his truck like he owned the place. I'm not sure what the best solution would be besides a take-a-number system that noone would follow anyway. I think the best we can hope for is that everyone just learn patience.

#8 ·
Saltwater -

Great thread, and there's nothing like getting treated like that to make you question your own common sense. From what I'm reading, you made an honest and understandable mistake of "cutting in line" without intending to. To the points made above, there are no consistent "rules" for the ramps that are well enough known or followed to make what you did a mortal sin or to justify his reaction. The guy has issues, you don't need to lose sleep over it.

I deal with a ramp nearby that can also be a zoo. Put too many people in a place not big enough to accomodate, add in some alcohol consumption, a little heat, and unclear rules and you have a recipe for problems. Here are some guidelines that if all the members of NC Angler would agree to follow, we'd probably make every ramp a better place most of the time:

1) Move quickly. Nothing irritates me more than to see someone get to the ramp, park on it, load/unload their boat, etc. and just saunter around, oblivious of the line that has formed behind them. Loading/unloading takes time, but at least LOOK like you are in a hurry and care about getting out of the way. My ramp requires me to tie up to a dock that is about 25 yards away from the ramp. I see people saunter along from the ramp to the dock, get nice and comfortable in the boat seat before starting the engine, liesurely untie and coil their lines, then finally put the boat on the trailer. RUN PEOPLE RUN!!! Or at least walk semi-quickly! For goodness sake, it's 90000 degrees outside, there are 10 trucks in line behind you, and there is a lightning storm closing in. Put some pep in your step! :)

2) Offer to help. This is always touchy, but whenever possible, offer to help the guy ahead of you backing down the truck, holding the boat, untying, or anything else. The offer goes a long way. Yes, it's a risk that something could go wrong driving someone elses truck or holding their boat, so if you aren't comfortable with the risk don't offer. There are other ways to lend a hand.

3) Don't stress out the wives. Okay, call me sexist, but I know my wife can back my boat in, but it scares the heck out of her doing it. Add in some guy looking like he's clocking her, and its a guaranteed costly mistake waiting to happen. A smile on your face and a friendly, encouraging nod to the other folks at the ramp goes a long way.

4) For goodness sakes, get OUT OF THE WAY! Ramps are for dropping in and taking out. Unless the ramp is vacant, don't use the ramp to insert your plugs, load/unload your boat, or wander around the boat aimlessly looking for things you forgot. Do that before you back down the ramp, and that MIGHT mean letting the guy behind you go first while you load up, etc. And in reverse, Pull forward, get out of the way, then unload!

#11 ·
If you tied to the dock in a place where you were blocking access to a busy ramp, that is not cool unless there is absolutely no other option. You should tie to a dock leaving enough space between your boat and the ramp that someone can drive around your boat to launch or load.

As far as order goes, my mentality at the ramp is first come first serve. Whoever's truck is first in line and ready has dibs on the next available ramp. If there is an available ramp and you are first in line not ready to launch, you are fair game to be passed in line. Docking your boat on a particular dock while you get your truck or whatever doesnt guarantee you anything as far as a spot in line or ramp selection goes, its all about where your trailer is.

#12 ·
Thank you for the post. The boat launch is definately the most stressful part of any boating trip for me. I am a female competent to back a long trailer and generally to dock a 26' boat, but prefer not to, especially when the launch is crowded and it is so much easier for two of us to load the boat together to seat it properly on the trailer. Sorry you had to endure the added stress of someone who acted rudely. It is just that kind of rude behavior that causes my insecurity about backing and docking in crowds that may contain irritable people. We often try to launch Friday evening around dinner time to avoid the crowds, but last Friday, were a little later, and a line of people were waiting at the launch trying to get off the water. We were the only boat waiting in the launch "line", and with everyone coming in and tying up to get their trailer to load, never caught a break. After waiting for about 6 boats to get off the water, I finally walked down to the captain of the next boat tied up at the end of the dock and asked if we could sneak in and launch before he loaded. He was starting to walk up to his trailer, and hemmed and hawed and said we would not have enough room...We ended up waiting until all the boats were trailered until we were able to launch. I do wish the etiquette was more clear. From one person's post, if it is all about where your trailer is, it sounds like it would be OK for someone launching to simply back down any ramp that is not occupied by a trailer...That does not really sound considerate of those waiting to load who are boating alone or who have only one person comfortable backing the trailer or docking in crowds -who need to tie at the end of the ramp to get their trailer.

#14 ·
I never block the loading area in any way tying off. I am usually alone so I tie away from the ramp itself and walk up and get my truck, then back down the ramp and go get my boat.

#16 ·
Adding to the confusion some rig drivers prefer to approach the ramp from clockwise direction, others counter clockwise so sometimes it's hard to determine where the line is; cutting line not a good idea. But if someone is being generous, don’t broadcast your thank you by shouting it from the boat. A face-to-face thank you works best. When I launch alone I tie to the dock and retrieve my truck and fall inline. When I have a co-driver, I circle the ramp until my truck is backing down the ramp. If you feel you're being taken advantage of by other boaters jumping in-front of you to retrieve their boat, tighten your circle closer to the dock. If I see someone struggling launching or retrieving, I offer to help them. I have parked other anglers rigs for them while they drove their boat to the dock.

#18 ·
I always try to be as considerate of others as possible. I have my "mess" together BEFORE I get to the ramp. I'll stop over to the side of the parking lot and get my straps off, plug in, gear in, and will have pre-cranked my engine before I left home. Same thing on the take out. I try to tie off as far out of the way as possible, load it on the trailer as quickly and efficiently as possible and pull it out of the water and over to one side of the parking lot to drain, strap, etc, before leaving the parking lot. My goal is to take up space on the ramp in as little time as possible. I don't think you did anything intentionally wrong. What you did was an understandable mistake. What he did was be intentionally and unnecessarily crude and rude. Since I've started kayak fishing, I can often slip in beside a boat waiting for it's trailer and be towing my kayak up the ramp on my dolly before the trailer gets to the ramp.

#19 ·
I prefer the "pay to launch" boat ramps, there are a few where I fish. Five dollars is a small price to pay to avoid weekend warriors or first time boat owners. It also avoids those that do not know how to park in their spot without blocking your ability to back up your trailer out of your spot.
Two weeks ago while making the poor choice of launching at a public boat ramp I watched a guy launch his boat, tie off, park his truck, make three trips to his truck to load everything in the boat needed for that days trip. This was a good 25 minute ordeal. Meanwhile boats waiting to launch were stacked, boats waiting to load were stacked up. Sad part is this never phased the guy tied off, he simply didnt care.
I have offered to help on many occasions but I think it's a pride thing, more often than not assistance is not needed lol

#20 ·
In that case, I politely say something. Just have to. If they truly don't care, it won't matter, but sometimes they do and just didn't know better.

Advice on the thread is good. Generally I consider it incumbent on the person tying off and leaving the boat to do so in a way that doesn't block the ramp for those whose trailer is in the water. Past that, the trailer in the water on the ramp has the priority, and there is often a line that you'll need to discern for getting your trailer on the ramp. If you have two people, the best thing is to share the duty, and "wait and circle" with the boat.

Alone I tie up or beach but I never block the ramp itself. This means for someone with reasonable skills - I dock where I could get by my boat to use the ramp if I were the other guy. If I could do and they claim they can't, well that's sorta their problem and I will politely offer to pilot their boat onto the trailer if they like. If they are just being a blowhole that usually quiets them down because it offers them a solution to their supposed problem. Only once has that been necessary, and when I offered the guy said "sure" and I did it no problem... he actually thanked me for showing him a better way to trailer his boat. No sweat.

The ramp has priority, tie off where you don't block it, and get your trailer in the lineup. If you're alone and someone has to wait a few seconds for you walk from car to boat, and then to trailer it, well that's just waiting at the ramp. If you tied off in a way that blocked access to those trailering, the the guy had a legitimate gripe... although I don't condone the way he approached it one bit. There's a line between having a legit gripe and acting like a king d-b- and it sounds like he crossed it regardless.

If you're ever bored and want to just be entertained, and also learn some things about what to and not to do while you're enjoying the spectacle, just stand at a busy ramp and watch the goings-on for a while. It's some great people watching.

PS- Pay to launch ramps don't make you immune to this nonsense, but they really do minimize it to some degree.

Reactions: dbeam
G
#21 ·
I fish alone 99% of the time. I tie to the dock and get my truck. I do tie at the end so there is room to load or unload. If every one tied there boat would be no ? who is next. I can load and unload alone just as fast as a duo. Tie your boat because this stops countless people thinking there next, people driving all over the place slowing things down even more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.