NC Angler Forums banner

NuCanoe Pursuit

8K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  dbeam 
#1 ·
I picked up my New Nucanoe Pursuit from Froggy Waters Outdoors, yesterday, Spent about 4 hours in it fishing from the high seat position. Those have fished with me know I always fish from the lowest seat position that i can. But the high sat felt good.
STABILITY:
It has ROCK steady initial stability and unbelievable secondary stability. With assistance from Gary we rocked it over so that I could get a feel of the secondary stability. I feel that I would fall off of the boat before I could flip it.
SPEED:
we were paddling in a large pond so I didn’t really push it that hard, but I can tell that it is going to be much faster than my 14’5 Slayer. When I get the GPS/FF on it I will let you know the exact numbers.
GLIDE:
It is absolutely the quietest boat I have ever paddle. When you lift the paddle out of the water there is no noise. It cuts the water that smoothly and will continue to glide quietly on and on. I have never been in a boat that smooth before and had to back paddle to stop forward movement a few times. It will be perfect to slipping quietly up on a school of feeding fish.
WIND: ‘
we had a mild breeze that sometimes was a little stronger than that, I never noticed any effect from the light wind that hit us from time to time.

I am looking forward to updating this as I spend more time in the boat. If the river doesn’t get blown out from the upcoming week of rain I will be fishing more from my Frontier for the next two weekends. I do have a 3 day weekend trip to the NC coast coming up in OCT it is always windy there, the best fishing requires a length paddle, and I usually troll between spots. So there should be plenty of info gather there for a better review.
COMFORT:
It has the most comfortable seat I have ever sit on that was not in someones living room. The extra length of the seat keeps your legs from losing circulation, and allows a place to set the rod but when you put one rod down to pick up another.
ACCESSORIES:
the nearly full length track makes it possible to customizes in near infinite ways. The rod tubes in the bow are similar to the set up in a rod box with half the length of the rod protected and the handles can be put under a strap in the rear,

Darrell

See less See more
#2 ·
update

I have had the Pursuit for a little over three months now, I used it for 3 days of fishing at The Bay River Meet and Greet in very rough water at times. Several times we were out with whitecaps braking over the bow. The pursuit handled well and look the rough water fine. I fished most of the time from the high position.
I did discover on thing that turned out to be a problem for me. When you move the seat up and down it also moves it forward and back. This put the rodholders at a different position when I reached back to get a rod. I fixed this by taking out two of the blots in the seat and putting new longer ones back in after I added a piece of aluminum to attach the rod holders to. I used Zooka Tubes so that I could switch from baitcasting to spinning. I had to use a 6 inch extension to get the right distance from the seat. But with them mounted to the seat no matter where I have th seat the rod holders are in the right position.

So I have to add the rough water abilities to the Pros side and the forward and rear movement of the seat to the Cons side. But it can easily be overcome. For people with more flexibility it may not even be an issue.

Darrell

#3 ·
Darrell...Nice follow-up report on the Pursuit by NuCanoe!!

I was actually involved in selling their original product....the "Classic" model, which is still available, but the two newer models, the Frontier and the Pursuit, are much better kayaks and are easily adapted to fishing.
Guess I have been "involved" with them for 8-9 years, and either helped the Area Rep demo and sell them, or sell them directly where I work P/T....Black Creek Outfitters. It has been a fun ride watching them change and improve their models...AND their market share too!!

Please keep us posted on your "learning curve" with the Pursuit!!!
JohnYaksJax
PS....You all have it really good that Gary aka "Froggy" is there locally to help answer questions and provide Demo Models....

#4 ·
Added Pictures

I was asked about the rod holders that I put on the seat, so I put some pictures here. The rea protion with the PVC rod holders, can be removed if you only want to carry the Zookas for trolling.
I also added some pics of the ABS wedge I cut to give the seat a middle height. I will allow the seat to be raised all the way up, or halfway back down, it does have to be removed in order for the seat to be lowered fully.

Darrell

Air gun Shotgun Trigger Auto part Gas
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Exercise machine Gas
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Wood Carbon
Bumper Automotive tire Wood Vehicle Automotive exterior
Hood Bumper Grille Automotive exterior Wood
Bicycle part Rim Bumper Metal Auto part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.